Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/18/14 12:33 PM
I am sure some of you have seen these before but thought I would show off my artwork. smile These are 4 inch PVC, 6 foot long gravity fed corn feeders. And yes that's my cammo pattern smile I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom cap for drainage and they are ready. Each one will hold about 5 gallons of corn. I will also be mixing white oak acorns in them as well as they are falling here all over the place this year! Anyway just thought I would show off my awesome art work! Ha,ha

Tip: Cut a plastic bottle in half and put it in the bottom of the corn feeder. It will help fill the void below the eating hole and help push the corn forward. And it will still drain.

RC

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/18/14 12:49 PM
RC, I've got a couple exactly like yours, and love them. More importantly, the deer do also.

I don't use corn slingers because I want the corn to stay off the ground (feral hogs), so these are perfect for that.

Great job.
Posted By: RC51 Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/18/14 01:03 PM
Yeah we got hogs pretty bad too and last year they tore up one of my 90 dollar sling feeders so that's exactly why I went this way this year. Plus I don't think these feeders are near as instrusive to an area and deer get used to them quicker.

RC
Posted By: esshup Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 12:45 AM
Al, I have a solution to those hogs. wink Bring them in so they are thick around the 3rd week in Feb! grin
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 09:36 AM
I've made quite a few pipe feeders but mine are a whole lot more redneck and cheaper than that. Mine have thick hardware wire on the bottom to let water drain and I'm using 6 inch PVC. I use a Skil saw to cut halfway through the pipe about 6 inches from the bottom. Then use a torch above the cut to soften the plastic. Next is to use a piece of wood to push the softened plastic in to form an open lip to give access to the corn. This is done while still heating and settles at about an inch. Hold the plastic in until it cools and sets hard. Drill a couple of holes in the top part of the pipe about 8 inches down and insert heavy wire to hang it. A bucket on top keeps rain and squirrels out. Rain isn't much of a problem in my area. I have had coons chew through the bottom so your PVC is probably better than my wire. The small lip keeps squirrels from emptying the feeder.

The bucket to exclude squirrels out is important. They will keep coming to get corn until the corn is so low that they can no longer jump out. Then you have a stinking squirrel to dump along with the fouled corn.

The deer can't really eat a lot out of mine like the do from yours. But they seem to keep coming to it.

BTW, if you put TPosts alongside the legs of a barrel feeder and wire them together the hogs can't tip the feeder over. They destroyed 2 of mine until I learned that trick.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Al, I have a solution to those hogs. wink Bring them in so they are thick around the 3rd week in Feb! grin

Magic 8 Ball says, not likely.

Scott, to be honest, I haven't seen rubs, wallows, or damage around here in a couple of years. I still hear rifles at night in the bottoms across the road, but that could be guys after wolfs or coyotes. They are still around here.
Posted By: stickem' Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 02:43 PM
I have made some of these very similar as well....I mount them to trees and fence posts up off the ground with Bungee Cords. How do you keep the coons from climbing up them and scooping out handfuls of corn for all to eat???

Stickem'
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 03:06 PM
Stickem, I haven't figured out any way to do it other than to suspend it 3' off the ground. If I get a game camera pic of a racoon hanging from it, which I have many of, I just raise it up a bit.

I still haven't figured out why protein feeders aren't just called non-slinging corn feeders.
Posted By: stickem' Re: RC's Redneck Corn Feeders - 09/19/14 04:02 PM
FireIsHot,
....ha! Yeah, and an old gravity feeder should be "pain free".....I guess I'll have to suspend them...
Stickem'
© Pond Boss Forum