Pond Boss
Posted By: Daryle digging hole in outside dam - 09/16/14 05:00 PM
every fall I get something digging a hole, approximately 3 inches wide. Does not go too far in and throws the dirt in front of the hole. Does anyone know what this could be? Looked around online put can't find something that would be in my area. I am in WNY.

thanks
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/16/14 08:56 PM
Sounds like a gopher to me. Does it backfill the hole and move over a few feet and do it again? Y'all don't have armadillos do you. They do like to dig also

Pat W
Posted By: Shelby County Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/16/14 10:08 PM
Daryle, female slider turtles will sometimes abandon their digs to lay eggs when disturbed. They throw the dirt in back and use it to cover the eggs after depositing them. Sometimes they will dig a number of holes before they are satisfied that they have the right one. It may be instinct to throw off nest robbers such as coons, coyotes, skunks, etc.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/16/14 11:17 PM
Shelby isn't a little late in the season for turtles to lay eggs?

Pat W
Posted By: Daryle Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/17/14 01:20 PM
thanks for responses. No it does not fill the hole back up. It seems that if I fill the hole back in a few times it goes away, but takes a few times of me refilling the hole. The holes are always in the side of dam and the dirt is just kicked out in the front of the hole. The dirt is very fine from the digging. Might be time to put my camera there
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/17/14 08:12 PM
Chipmunk? Little destructive buggers. Too small for a Woodchuck or rabbit. Lastly maybe a rat or muskrat, though the wrong side for a muskrat.
Posted By: esshup Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/18/14 02:30 AM
Could be a fox digging and stashing some food. Google "dirt hole set" to see what the hole looks like (and size). Skunks don't dig that big of a hole when they are chasing grubs.

I'm outta ideas!
Posted By: snrub Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/18/14 02:42 AM
Vole? We see those out in the middle of a no-till field usually.

voles.com
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/18/14 09:14 AM
I vote for the camera.
Posted By: Daryle Re: digging hole in outside dam - 09/18/14 11:57 AM
again, thanks everybody for response. Does look like that dirt hole set. I am going to cottage this weekend. Will take some pictures and set the camera if it is back. Before I left I filled the hole back up.
© Pond Boss Forum