Pond Boss
Posted By: dlowrance Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 01:02 PM
This is a day I look forward to every year and have for a couple of decades now...opening day of archery season.

When asked 'which do you like most, hunting or fishing' I always have a really difficult time answering. It's almost like having to pick a favorite child...I love them both equally but differently.

For me fishing is darn near a 12 month pastime. It doesn't get cold enough here most years anymore to really get into ice fishing, but I effectively have a line in the water at least once or twice a week 10+ months a year or so. So purely from a quantity perspective I fish more than I hunt, no doubt about it. But from 10/1 through 12/15 or so my focus is definitely hunting over fishing.

For me it's specifically bow hunting for whitetails...I do a little upland bird/rabbit/squirrel occasionally, but that's more of a side deal. Deer hunting with limb and stick is definitely my passion when it comes to autumn activities.

My girlfriend asked me last year about this time 'if you had to give up hunting or fishing, which would it be?'

I hope to have many many years before I have to make that choice - if ever.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 02:57 PM
Hey DL I know what your talking about for sure! I am the same way. We have had a couple of cold snaps here and it's starting to get me in the hunting mode for sure! I don't bow hunt a lot but I do bow hunt. I will be going out this weekend for the first time and looking forward to the peaceful mornings and just chilling out in the woods. I guess I would have to say I would give up hunting before fishing but liike you said I hope I don't have to make choice for a while yet!

Good luck hunters and above anything else BE SAFE!!! I sure don't want to hear anything on this forum about someone getting hurt or worse!!

RC
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 03:21 PM
Same to you RC...I'll get in the woods Saturday afternoon at the earliest. It's still 84 degrees here today so it's too darn hot to get too fired up yet.

Safety is something I've gotten much more serious as I get older. I used to be the typical bullet proof invincible guy 25 feet in the air with nothing keeping me there except gravity and attitude. Now you won't catch me in a stand without a 5 point harness.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 03:58 PM
I shot the techno hunt 3 times yesterday at the local bow shop. I won't be able to get to the woods until tomorrow night. Getting excited.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 04:04 PM
Went out this morning and did not see a thing, that is until I got back to my backyard. I should have set up on my porch:)
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 04:35 PM
Choices......

Office and paperwork or in the woods?

Office won out. frown
Posted By: R&R Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 04:42 PM
No what you mean. Hope to squeeze some bowhunting in but I'm awful busy trying to get a pole barn dried in. Good Luck to all.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 05:01 PM
You guys need to prioritize better!!!
Posted By: vamaz Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 05:12 PM
Yeah, RAH, this past Saturday kid #1 and I drove 1 hour and hiked up to a mountain saddle for youth deer/bear day. That morning my wife texts me to let us know she's sipping coffee and watching a nice 8 pt grazing right behind the house.

Looking forward to this coming Saturday bow opener here in VA. Kid #2 will be in the stand with me, only she'll be targeting the local squirrel population with the .22, so it won't be a very serious deer effort. More about teaching her and spending that quality time.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 05:37 PM
vamaz - Got your priorities right! Both of mine are off at college for the first time. Pretty quite around here. I always take opening week off of work, even though it is pretty slow in the woods. I always have plenty of opportunities over the season, but I sure enjoy being out even if there is no action.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 09:41 PM
Mine kids are 8 and 9 so a ways to go before they're off to college...but they both have birthday parties to go to this Saturday afternoon, so Dad's going to get some quality time in the timber. Assuming it doesn't rain of course. We've been in a 3 month drought around here and as soon as season opens they're showing chances of rain all over the place. Figures.
Posted By: Bing Re: Opening Day!! - 10/01/13 10:32 PM
Just a question: How much time do you bow hunters spend before the season in the woods scouting? Big deer, deer trails, lots of deer, etc. I am not a hunter but have many friends who bow hunt and the really successful ones spend a lot of time scouting deer, setting food plots, etc. The guys who continually get big deer spent about as much time before the season as when the season starts. I am in Fayette country Illinois and bow and arrow deer hunting is a really big deal.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 12:14 AM
Our state moved our seasons for this year. Usually, we'd have had a few days last week or next week. I've got to wait three more weeks.

When I put the chickens away, and checked the fish feeders this evening, the deer knew! There were eight antlerless deer in the field above my lower pond - within about 25-50 yards away. They just momentarily looked up at me!

Earlier in the afternoon, when I drove out to the county road to our mailbox, there was a big doe and two spotless fawns that watched me from our front field. After I got the mail and headed back to the house, they were still munching in the same area -- within about 25 feet of me and my noisy little UTV.

They all looked delicious.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 12:21 AM
I do not scout, per se, but early season hunting is kinda scouting time for me. I only hunt my own land, so its not like going to a new property. Saw a pair of big fawns under my tree, a button and a doe, but did not feel like dealing with a little doe. I do not take buttons on purpose, but it does happen. I took one last year and did not know it was a buck until I flipped it over to dress.
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 06:19 AM
Opening day has come and gone for me and it was successful.I left the office at 6:00 and was hanging 25 ft off the ground by 6:45 and did not see a thing. I went home and got 4 hours of sleep (I work 3rd shift) and then back out to the woods by 3:00 p.m. At about 7:15, a big doe caught me by surprise and stepped out at 20 yrds. LIGHTS OUT ! I placed a good shot but for some reason the arrow came out of her hip. She dropped in her tracks then jumped and bolted. I had good blood for about 30 yards then nothing. I called my dad and a great friend and after 2 hours, we found her. 1 down, 7 to go. Here is a pic of her on my camera.

Attached picture MDGC0362.JPG
Posted By: vamaz Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 12:21 PM
Most of the properties I hunt around here are small, 20 acres or less, so there's not much scouting to be done. New properties require more time, but the old ones I know where the oaks are and simply make a quick pass through a week or so before the opener to access which trees are being hit the hardest. This year there's virtually no acorns, so we'll set up on known travel corridors.

Confirmed this morning that #2 will be up for an afternoon hunt Saturday. I hope her legs have grown some since last year. When sitting on the stand, they didn't reach the platform and she couldn't stop swinging them. Bright white sneakers swingin back and forth, kinda hard for the deer to miss that!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
Opening day has come and gone for me and it was successful.I left the office at 6:00 and was hanging 25 ft off the ground by 6:45 and did not see a thing. I went home and got 4 hours of sleep (I work 3rd shift) and then back out to the woods by 3:00 p.m. At about 7:15, a big doe caught me by surprise and stepped out at 20 yrds. LIGHTS OUT ! I placed a good shot but for some reason the arrow came out of her hip. She dropped in her tracks then jumped and bolted. I had good blood for about 30 yards then nothing. I called my dad and a great friend and after 2 hours, we found her. 1 down, 7 to go. Here is a pic of her on my camera.

Great start to the season...congrats! Meat in the freezer right there.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
Just a question: How much time do you bow hunters spend before the season in the woods scouting? Big deer, deer trails, lots of deer, etc. I am not a hunter but have many friends who bow hunt and the really successful ones spend a lot of time scouting deer, setting food plots, etc. The guys who continually get big deer spent about as much time before the season as when the season starts. I am in Fayette country Illinois and bow and arrow deer hunting is a really big deal.

I typically do some scouting in the August/Early September timeframe. I may or may not hang cameras. I also hunt the same ground and have for the last several years so mostly it's a matter of tuning up my stands, foodplots if I'm doing any (only did one this year due to the drought) and a whole lot of target practice.
Posted By: MattWI Re: Opening Day!! - 10/02/13 01:13 PM
Off to southern Iowa for a long four day weekend of early season Iowa archery!! A bunch of mature bucks on camera during daylight so excited to get down there.
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Opening Day!! - 10/03/13 08:37 PM
Last Saturday was Youth Day in Virginia. My ten-year old made good use of it, taking a doe and an 8-pointer with a 243. My 12-year old also did well, taking a button buck with his bow. That kid loves archery (like me) and has gotten pretty deadly with his bow. This Saturday is the archery opener, but my season couldn't get any better than it already is.

If I can just get caught up on sleep after quartering, putting in coolers of ice, and packing for the freezer...

Attached picture Corbin's buck 2.jpg
Attached picture Youth Day Deer.jpg
Posted By: Lukkyseven Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 12:28 AM
Hunting was by far my favorite when I was a little younger. I have since moved and grown to truly enjoy fishing a lot more. It helps that I live very close to one of, in my opinion, the very best reservoirs in our state.

The taste of deer isn't there for me any more. I hate to say it, but now that I can afford beef... deer is about only good for jerky to me.

All that said, I do still enjoy going for the opening day of Rifle in both MD and PA (MD is Saturday and PA is Monday). But I really look forward to that first warm spell in Spring to get a line wet.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 09:58 AM
I'll be leaving in about 30 minutes to check things out for 3 14 year olds to bow hunt tomorrow morning.

I have never used a stick and string to hunt.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 01:24 PM
On the topic of the taste of venison I have a theory...I live in the breadbasket of the US - most of my hunting areas are 100% surrounded by crop fields that rotate between corn and soybeans. So the deer I harvest are fed as well if not better than most beef you buy in the store. I've had literally dozens of people over the years tell me they don't like the taste of venison...often times at the same time they are EATING it. For the vast majority of dishes people can't tell the difference between my venison and beef. I also believe that has a lot to do with how and when you harvest and process the deer.

Now I've also eaten venison from less agricultural areas...IMHO that meat has the potential to be much more gamey. A couple of years ago a friend of mine went down to West Texas - mesquite country - and brought venison back. The meat was mesquite flavored...which was pretty dang good in chili.
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 01:30 PM
That's been the same thing that I've experienced with Whitetails. Here? They eat minimal browse, but really chow down on corn and soybeans. Northern Wisconsin they only eat browse - no large scale agriculture in the area. The deer from here get made into steaks and burger, up there they end up in sausage or given away.
Posted By: fishtruck Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 01:48 PM
Do ya think the animals around my pond have figured out that I don't hunt?

Rob C

Attached picture WGI_0447.JPG
Attached picture WGI_0068.JPG
Attached picture WGI_0086.JPG
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 02:27 PM
I'm in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, and while there are some agricultural areas here, the areas I hunt are at least ten miles from the nearest cornfield. The deer forage on natural browse, acorns, and perhaps a food plot here and there. While I grew up hunting deer, my wife's family (five siblings) never hunted. Every one of her siblings asks us to host their birthday parties and provide venison. They LOVE it! We put up eight large deer last fall, and I ran out of meat over two months ago.

Turkeys are another matter. When there is ample mast or moisture for other food sources, the turkeys taste great. However, I remember a year about twenty years ago when every turkey I killed tasted exactly like wild onions. They weren't even good in turkey salad!

We gut our deer as quickly as we can. I do not allow a deer to stay in the woods overnight; I will hold my comments on the numerous hunting shows that shoot big bucks while wearing thin clothing, then wait overnight to recover the deer because of a marginal shot. I left one deer overnight that was hit in the paunch because when I began tracking her four hours later she jumped and ran. I went in the next morning and she was still alive.

If daily highs are below 50 I will leave the deer hanging in a shed a few days...doesn't happen here very often. Usually I quarter the deer and put it in a cooler of ice within hours of being killed. I will cut it up within 2-5 days of being put in the cooler. Freeze in vacuum sealed bags for years (though we typically eat it within one year).

My favorite recipe--cut any hind-quarter muscle or the loin into pieces about 2-3" diameter x 3-6" long (smaller or larger is fine, but this is the sweet spot). Coat with a liberal dousing of Famous Daves Rib Rub (I've tried many, and that one is by far my favorite). Then coat in olive oil (just make sure each piece is coated in olive oil...no need to use a ton of oil to cover all the pieces). Let sit ten to thirty minutes while you do something else, like getting the grill as hot as you can get it (mine goes to about 450). Put the pieces on the grill for a few minutes on each side. The middle needs to remain RED. My three sons get upset if the middle is pink. Take off the grill, let stand for five minutes so the meat relaxes and heat disperses throughout. Serve to someone who "doesn't like deer" and watch them say "OMG". There will be no leftovers.

My wife's favorite recipe--take two whole muscles from the hindquarters or the whole loin and grill at high temp until medium rare (still pink or red all the way through, but cooked). Let sit five minutes. If cooked at high heat the outside will be burnt...slice any charred layer off. Then slice the muscle very thinly (perhaps 1/8") across the grain. Place slices in a serving dish. Make a sauce by mixing 1 stick butter, about 3/4 cup zesty italian dressing, 3/4-1 cup brown sugar (sugar to taste...we like it a little sweet), 1/2 cup sweet barbeque sauce, 3/4 cup A-1, 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1 tbsp soy. Bring these to a boil while stirring...boil for 3-5 minutes to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the meat. Serve to someone who "doesn't like deer" and watch them say "OMG" and ask to take the leftovers home...
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 02:28 PM
Oops...that was a little longer than I had intended. Sorry guys
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 03:01 PM
Tree Farmer, thanks for the recipes. I'll try them.

I feel the same as you do about leaving a deer in the woods overnight. I did that once, and while it was in the upper 20's, I will not do it again if I can help it.

I've antelope hunted in Wyoming (rifle) in upper 80's - lower 90's temps. The antelope was excellent table fare. We followed these steps. Don't shoot one that was running. Field dress ASAP. Put in truck, turn it so all 4 legs are in the air, then immediately fill the body cavity with ice cubes. Close up body cavity, cover with a tarp and beat feet for camp. Skin and butcher the antelope as soon as you get back to camp, putting the wrapped meat in the freezer or quartered in cloth sacks in coolers on top of a bed of ice in the cooler. If in a cooler, leave the bottom drain open so any bloody water will drain out. You don't want the meat sitting in ice water, nor do you want the meat in plastic bags. Cotton bags so any blood or fluids will drain away from the meat.
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 03:26 PM
Esshup, agreed on all points about meat care. I forgot to mention the running aspect, as it has only happened to me once. I typically bow hunt, and have never hunted with dogs. However, I did have a friend call me once and tell me that there was a group of does coming my way. He had jumped them on the other side of the farm and then slowly pushed them through the different woodlots until he got close to my location. I picked out one of the fawns and performed a headshot so as to preserve as much of the tender meat as possible. That meat was so tough and tasteless that it was the one time my family complained. SO...if you hunt with dogs, I have no advice for you on how to make the meat good, or tender. Based on my one experience, I suspect you will not be able to do either...but if you can, more power to you!

Also agreed on the plastic bags. I used to do that in order to keep the meat out of the icy water. Two problems...one was that most of the time the bag developed a hole and water got in, the second was that it just made the outside of the meat a little slimy. I don't use any bags now, but I do keep the meat on top of the ice. Most of the time I cut the meat up within 24 hours of putting it on the ice. Using something between the meat and the ice would be best.

I started opening the bottom plug each day, allowing it to drain, then closing it. When I used to leave it open all day, the flies would congregate around the opening.
Posted By: vamaz Re: Opening Day!! - 10/04/13 04:19 PM
Tree Farmer, congrats on your kids' deer, that's just awesome! My son and I got skunked Saturday - not the way I like to start a season - but we'll be after 'em again tomorrow with the bows!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/07/13 01:06 PM
I finally got my first sit in Saturday afternoon...weather was OK, not great but OK. The corn is still in the field on the stand I hunted so deer were fairly scarce. I could see the corn stalks moving where they were passing in front of me but that's about it.

But at least I got out there....felt good.

Anyone have any luck this weekend?
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/07/13 02:12 PM
I spent 4 hours in the tree on Friday evening. They were not moving at all, so it was a pretty uneventful afternoon. Looking forward to the corn coming out and the leaves to fall off the trees.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/07/13 02:19 PM
Got out last night with my 6 year old...Had a couple of yearlings around the stand for almost an hour...He tried his best to talk me into taking one...

Probably won't be able to make it back out until next weekend with my 9 year old for his first youth season...He has been working hard on shooting and marking shot placement in old hunting magazines...Hope his hard work pays off...
Posted By: Tree Farmer Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 12:13 AM
Saturday was the VA archery opener...high of 90! Didn't even hunt in the afternoon. This afternoon we went to the property to plant more Christmas trees. Shortly after getting there my son and I smelled the strong odor of a buck's hocks for about five minutes. There were several scrapes and large rubs in the area. I know the rut is a month away, but I suspect grunting and light rattling might get some attention. We'll see later this week!
Posted By: lassig Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 01:00 PM
I have multiple sparing between bucks and bucks chasing the last couple of days on my plotwatchers (Yes daytime activity). It really seams early.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 01:30 PM
Had three big-bodied basket sixes come under the stand together monday evening. Just walked through. Looked like triplets. A doe and fawn also came by, but never got a high probability shot at momma. Had one doe on the trail cam that bedded in front of the camera. Guess she thinks she is photogenic...
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 01:49 PM
You guys are killing me... Our season opened on the 1st and I won't be able to crawl into a stand until the 19th...

Although I was able to take a couple weeks and head West for elk and antelope already, so I can't complain.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 04:33 PM
Got this critter on camera I would like to get a shot at! Don't see them very often during the day.

Attached picture Bobcat.JPG
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 04:39 PM
I saw my first bobcat in the wild last year. They are making a comeback in a big way in Adams County Illinois. I have seen several on trail cameras too.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 05:06 PM
Yeah I am not big into killing them but if I could I would like to have one. Got a perfect place in the cabin for it! smile

RC
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/09/13 11:43 PM
Are you into trapping? That's how my neighbor got his bobcat mount.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 01:20 AM
Carefully looked over a little doe and took it with a double lung. However, in spite of my best efforts, it turned out to be a button. Dang it. From ten feet away, you cannot even see the nobs. And it was really small, 60 lbs field dressed. Dang it! I am trying to manage for trophy bucks...
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 01:57 AM
The longer that I spend in the woods, the more I appreciate a good set of binoculars, even for the close up stuff.

I've seen deer after dark (that I didn't want to spook getting down out of the tree stand) that I couldn't see with the naked eye. They're useful just to look at other stuff in the woods when no deer are around too.

I've got 2 pair, a 8x42 and a 10x42. Typically the 8x42 is plenty strong enough for in the woods.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 11:16 AM
Well - We could not tell it was a button until we flipped it over to dress. You can feel the nobs, but they are really small. It was 6:15 PM with plenty of light, and I was less than 20 feet away in the stand. My wife was bugging me to take a small one for a friend. Not sure what I can do except not take any small ones. I looked hard for nobs before I shot. I had already let several small ones walk, but I was 10 days in. It will be good meat, but I want to let the bucks grow up and compete!
Posted By: vamaz Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 12:02 PM
For years I didn't carry binoculars just because it was one more thing to deal with and since I was hunting with the bow the whole time figured it wasn't worth it. And part of the problem was the ones I'd used in the past were el cheapo's so I didn't know what I was missing. But then one thing led to another and I ended up with a pair of Steiners. It's enjoyable being able to check things out with a clean view. Like esshup said, even the up close stuff. The ones I've got will focus as close as 7 or 8 feet.

RAH don't sweat it, mistakes happen, I did the same thing last year - TWICE. Enjoy the meat smile
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 12:54 PM
I have small, nice Nikons. I am always worried I'll catch them in the string when I release. I already added a safety harness this year, which I hate, but I am getting old! I also would not use them that close up, since the deer may be alerted. I have been very successful at deer hunting, so I may have too many rules without evidence to support them.
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
The longer that I spend in the woods, the more I appreciate a good set of binoculars, even for the close up stuff.

I would rather leave my bow in the truck than forget my binos... I use mine from the minute I'm in stand until I get down. I've crawled back down to get them several times after forgetting them at the truck.
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Not sure what I can do except not take any small ones. I looked hard for nobs before I shot.

Here's what I give for advise to guys who don't want to shoot buttons.

1. Don't shoot single deer.
2. Don't shoot the first deer in the field.
3. Don't shoot first or last half hour of daylight.

If you follow those three rules, you will find out that your chances of shooting a button drop dramatically.

But don't worry about it to much, if you shoot enough does to keep the herd population managed properly, you WILL shoot some buttons along the way.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 02:08 PM
The last Button I shot was one of 3 deer, but it was just after sunset. Good advice! I did remove 4 does last year, but the last one was in a herd of 20. Life is hard:)
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 02:25 PM
I took a button last year as well - accidentally. He was with 2 other deer, a small buck and a doe. That's going to happen if you're hunting for does. I usually try to take 2-3 does for every buck I harvest, just to try to keep the numbers in line. Last year I took 3 does and 2 bucks (counting the button) so my ratio was a bit skewed but I ran out of people that wanted meat and my freezer was full.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 02:27 PM
RAH on the topic of safety harnesses - I went 15 years without EVER wearing one...but a few years back I came to the realization that 'better safe than sorry' was an appropriate mantra given my age and responsibilities - namely the 8 and 9 year olds that rely on me.

I would feel naked on stand without the 5 point harness today.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 02:36 PM
One button buck in an area is not going to hurt any management plan...

As for safety harnesses, yep I wear one...Wife and boys bought it for me for my birthday years ago...Has it cost me any deer, probably, but falling from a tree and dying or worse is not even a thought I want to think about with a family...

Sitting here this morning chomping at the bit because I have a few things I want to get finished up before tomorrows youth season...
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 02:51 PM
I went out into the stand last year after there was no more left to lose from food poisoning. I got dizzy in the stand and was afraid that I might lose consciousness. I got part way down the ladder and recovered, so I went back up and finished out the evening. Thought I'd invest in a harness this year.

A few years back, I broke my foot during bow. My wife drove me to the stand and I pulled myself up. I shot a deer and my wife picked us both up. She did inform me that I had crossed the line!
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 03:02 PM
In addition to the safety harness, get a fall line with a prussic knot as well. That way you can clip in at ground level and climb into the stand without ever being unhooked... I have one on every stand I have whether it be a two man ladder or a small lock on.

If you get a Muddy or other similar smaller harness, they add almost no weight and they fit under your jacket so they won't interfere with any movement.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 03:49 PM
I have ladder stands, so I think I can manage the in and out part (famous last words). I have been hunting in a tee-shirt, but my current harness fits under a seat shirt. Its just not quite the same as without it. BTW - Finding dark camo, without white in it, is almost impossible anymore. I hunt against tree trunks that are dark.
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 04:00 PM
Here's my ladder stands and I still use a harness all the way up. You can see the white rope running down the side of the ladder. And I wrap the top of the rope around the tree not the stand in case the ratchet strap holding the stand were to fail. 36" wide platform and 20' tall to the platform. Don't want to fall from there...

Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 04:24 PM
You are a brave man. My highest it 16' to the seat, but the seat is very small. Only $35 at the end of the season at Manards last year!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 06:04 PM
Most of my stands are 20' to the platform or a bit more. I usually use a 20' climbing stick and the stand is one step further than the top of the stick if I can get it set the way I want. I have a couple of 16' stands but I don't feel as confident. Over the years I've proven in my own mind that you can make a lot more mistakes in movement and also errant scents if you're way up high. I like the extra forgiveness that height allows me.

But like I said - that would also be with a safety harness on.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 07:07 PM
This probably ties into using binoculars also. I shot my biggest archery buck from a stand 10' up, and my biggest gun buck from the ground (walking slowly up on a bedded buck). I'm too chicken for a 20' stand. But the archery buck was 154 gross, and the gun back was 167, so different strategies work (or its all luck).
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 10/11/13 07:25 PM
RAH, my best buck stand is also no more than 10' off the ground... I can hunt the crap out of it and not disrupt the deer movement, but that is more attributed to my access in and out than it is anything else.

There is no question that being higher allows you to get away with more movement and scent, but it definitely isn't required to kill a mature buck regardless of score.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/12/13 12:07 AM
This evening, I saw a buck that will be nice next year. Love this time of year!
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Opening Day!! - 10/12/13 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Tree Farmer
I forgot to mention the running aspect,

I have heard.. and willing to try it this year if My goat is taken running.

Running puts tanins in the blood which is in the meat giving it the tough texture and flavor.

The rules of osmosis come into play, and the tanins need to be sucked out of the meat cells. I am told soaking meat in milk will do this. and soaking them in water will help a little too. I will let you know how it works.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/23/13 06:25 PM
Well I've seen 2 shooter bucks so far...one driving to the property, about 1/8 mile from my driveway, and one on a trail cam on the north end of the property. So far the only bucks I've seen on stand have been dinks...a button, a forkie and a small 6.

But is sure is nice to get out there again!!!
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/25/13 01:18 PM
I'm driving home from Parent Teacher conferences last night and I'm about 40 yards from my driveway when I see this guy standing in the middle of the road...

I've got a couple of shots of him about 1/4 mile from the house. I don't HAVE any cameras in my back yard, but maybe I should.

So I'm watching him walk off the roadbed, looking a bit bedraggled, and I think to myself "he looks like he's been in a fight"...which is promptly confirmed as there's also a big 8 point standing about 10 feet further down the road that I almost hit with the car!

They must've been sparring right in the middle of the road or real close to it.

I was awake this morning really early thinking that it'd have been about a 55 yard shot...out of my bedroom window...
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/25/13 01:59 PM
That's what I call a heated blind! grin
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/26/13 12:10 AM
Deer Ticks

This morning I ran into a problem I've not worried about before. We have one of our special antlerless seasons that started yesterday morning and goes through tomorrow evening.

I took a real nice mature doe this morning out of my garden.

After I field dressed her, I found that I had a number of tiny deer ticks on me. We have quite a problem around here with Lyme disease. Obviously, I was rather concerned. After that, I found a number of big ticks on her. I stripped down outside, left my clothes out there, and came in for a shower. I found three more tiny ticks.

Normally I skin and butcher soon after field dressing.

This time, after hanging her from my tractor loader bucket, I pressure washed her.

It is supposed to get down to freezing tonight, and it only got to about 40F today, so I'm not concerned about the meat.

But, I'm wondering what others do to protect themselves from deer ticks and the possibility of Lyme Disease.
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/26/13 12:27 AM
I normally don't see any ticks on the deer. Maybe because I'm hunting in colder weather? Or maybe it's that I don't usually skin them when they are warm?

In any case, after hunting I'm usually in the shower and haven't had any show up yet. I have more problems with ticks during spring mushroom and turkey season than in the fall/early winter.

Congrats on the doe!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Opening Day!! - 10/26/13 01:14 AM
I have a set of clothes that are dedicated for situations such as this. I treat them with permethrin every 3-4 washes. After an encounter with Turkey Mites while squirrel hunting a few years ago, I started doing this. I haven't had a problem with ticks or chiggers since...at least, not when I wore the clothes.
Posted By: kenc Re: Opening Day!! - 10/26/13 01:50 AM
Tony, when did turkey mites start affecting your area? My brother got into them this year and it took him a long time to recover. When we were growing up in Ky. We never used repellent(could not afford it) and never got anything worse then chiggers and a few ticks. Take care.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Opening Day!! - 10/26/13 02:09 AM
Same here. Growing up, chiggers was as bad as it got. Now we have the mites, and they make chiggers seem no worse than a brush up against some nettles. Normally, if someone were to tell you to douse your anatomy with bleach, or gasoline, you might give that person a wide berth. After enduring the mites for a couple of days however, you're only interested in what octane rating gasoline works the best, and would it provide relief any faster if you ignited it after application.

I know folks who spent time in the hospital, due to complications (infections) traced back to the mites. We started seeing them about 5-6 years ago.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/27/13 11:39 PM
Awesome hunt Saturday morning. My first double! Here is a link to their pics.

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Jacob_Foote/media/P1010862_zps0758febb.jpg.html
Posted By: esshup Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 12:44 AM
Congrats!! I would have whacked the buck and doe too.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 01:58 AM
Nice bulkly midwest cornfed deer! Congrats!
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 10:33 AM
Good job!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 11:12 AM
We used to be loaded with ticks and chiggers but continuing drought has just about taken care of that problem.

I don't even see them when skinning a deer.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 01:31 PM
Thanks guys. It was an awesome hunt. Pretty boring to begin with, but got really interesting in a hurry.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 02:27 PM
Gotta love a double. I've done this a few times over the years...buck and doe once, 2 does a couple of times. The way I look at it if you're going through all the trouble of dragging, gutting, skinning, etc you may as well get hip deep all at once!

Congrats! Good looking buck there.
Posted By: ewest Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 02:32 PM
Nice job ! How many more do you need to harvest to keep your population in good shape ?
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Opening Day!! - 10/28/13 04:21 PM
I am a not a farmer so as far as I am concerned the more the better. It seems like the numbers are pretty healthy right now though. I think blue tongue disease or CWD has killed quite a few. Definitely not as many as when i was young, but there are a lot more hunters now too. Hunting brings big bucks and the farmers are making good money leasing their land which really increased the hunting pressure. I think the numbers are probably pretty good.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 11/22/13 06:50 PM
Looked bigger through the peep on the last day of bow. He was behind brush and I drew before he walked into a small lane at 25 yards. I thought he was much bigger. I let the arrow fly and the next thing I saw was the back part of my arrow go flying. He took off for another block of my woods. I got down and only found the back part of the arrow, but could not see any blood or find the bottom of the arrow. I assumed I hit a tree or something. I took off for the other block of woods and there he lay without a drop of blood on the outside. The front of the arrow must have come off as he immediately passed a tree. It was a double lung, but he still went 100 yards. Unfortunately he was the smallest buck that I have shot in years (150 lbs field dressed), and his size fooled me on judging the antlers. I shot two does since with the 44, and one field dressed at 140 lbs. Well there is always next year...

Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Opening Day!! - 11/22/13 07:52 PM
RAH,

I wish more guys in Michigan messed up and shot that "small of a buck"... We would have the opportunity to see more bucks like you just killed. Even in well managed areas, bucks of that size are rare.

Congrats on a very nice buck! Be proud of him!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Opening Day!! - 11/22/13 10:04 PM
Our primary buck rifle season opens on Monday. I was just down at a creek in a state forest getting some chub minnows. I must have seen 30-40 deer on the three mile trek back home. There were eight standing behind my barn as I drove by. It was dark enough I couldn't tell what they were, but they all appeared to be antlerless.

It got up into the 60s here today, but the temps are supposed to crash into the teens by tomorrow night, and it is supposed to be windy. The deer will all be in Florida or Arizona with the snowbirds by Monday.

I've already cleaned, oiled, and stored/locked-up my guns for the season. I've got at least 90 lbs., of de-boned venison in the freezer.

I've got my eye on several fat fox squirrels that may become dinner in the next couple of days.

Tomorrow may be the day to clean out the two fish cages at the end of the dock. Lots of nice big bluegill and LMB fillets swimming around in them for the winter eating season.
Posted By: RAH Re: Opening Day!! - 11/22/13 11:18 PM
It looks better in the pics than it really is. I am trying to let small ones walk, but I have some neighbors that let folks in that shoot anything and everything. Its like a public restroom - nobody cares when they have no stake in the long-term management. Same goes for ponds I guess.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Opening Day!! - 11/24/13 01:51 AM
Today was opening day of bear season in PA. My dad of course saw a couple of nice bucks, one of which came within easy bow range. Gotta love it! Of course, on the opening day of deer season in 8 days, they'll be nowhere to be found... I will join him on Monday. Wednesday is the last day of bear season. That is the day our Mennonite friends come down and we put on a 25 man drive(largest allowed by law). With than many guys pushing, you can sure put the deer, bears and maybe even some wild boars out. Last year we put out 4 bears and killed two of them. I am hoping we do even better this year!
© Pond Boss Forum