Pond Boss
Posted By: FarmerCharlie Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 02:55 PM
This strange critter fell out of the mouth of a bluegill after my grandson caught him with a popping bug.

The "tail" looked almost like a round worm from a dog. The "head" was red and appeared to be partly missing.

Any idea on identity? I guess bluegill must like them, or maybe it's some sort of parasite.

The bluegill was the first one he ever caught on a fly rod, and it was quite a thrill for him.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 04:11 PM
It looks more plant-like rather than insect-like to me, based on the wall thickness of the red section.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 05:33 PM
I agree with dlowrance. It looks like some sort of seed throwing down a tap root. Did it move?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 06:13 PM
Looks like a tube jig, red body white tail that is falling apart... Ever use that type bait in your pond?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Looks like a tube jig, red body white tail that is falling apart... Ever use that type bait in your pond?

See if it melts with a match?

Btw that's a healthy female bluegill. Obviuosly no serious parasite issues.
Posted By: esshup Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 06:56 PM
Good thought Cecil! That doesn't look like any bug or part of a bug that I know of.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 08:21 PM
If that thing is moving with that type of claw on one end I would not have it in my hand and I would drian and burn my pond bottom!! smile That is one alien looking bug if it's a bug!

RC
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 08:29 PM
It's not know by many but the Mars rover did come back! eek
Posted By: FarmerCharlie Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

I think you may be right. We looked for the "bug, but couldn't find it. But my other grandson looked around in the tackle box and found two rubber jigs that looked similar to the mystery bug. I'll cut one apart later and see for sure.
Looks like CJBS2003 and Cecil were right. Here are the two my other grandson found. The one I cut apart looks like the mystery "bug" except for a slight difference in color.

Next time I'll look a little closer before I post an embarrassing dumb question. smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Mystery Solved: Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/20/13 10:58 PM
Not a dumb question, and that thing may still come to life eek
Posted By: RC51 Re: Mystery Solved: Re: Identity of strange bug - 06/21/13 12:33 PM
Whew!!! Thank goodness!! smile
© Pond Boss Forum