Pond Boss
Posted By: R&R Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 01:05 AM
Wife text me and said she needed a visit to the property to wind down after work. No trouble convincing me.

We always drive around and across the dam on our way out and we noticed a momma woodduck acting very nervous around our overflow pipe. well sure enough "ALL" of her babies were down in the bottom of the concrete box. So down I went. I was able to get all but 2 or 3 and they went down the pipe and came out below the dam. Surely momma will go down and get them tonight. Didnt think to have the wife grab my phone and snap a couple of pictures until the last one.

Attached picture photo.JPG
Attached picture photo (2).JPG
Posted By: Brettski Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 02:39 AM
atta boy, R&R...atta boy!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 03:00 AM
I love this - made my night!
Posted By: esshup Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 04:10 AM
You done good!!
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 08:14 AM
Good for you. I had wood ducks last year so I put in a wood duck house and wouldn't you know it, nothing this year so far.
Posted By: R&R Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 11:24 AM
John, Building some wooduck nesting boxes is on my To do list. This is the 3rd year in a row Ive seen them so they must have a pretty good spot.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 03:07 PM
Built 3 WD boxes 3 years ago...so far, not a single WD on my pond. I'm doing very well on bluebirds, hatch 4-5 clutches each year, but nada on the WD.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 03:50 PM
Hooded Mergansers in one of our Woodie boxes this year.
Posted By: R&R Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Hooded Mergansers in one of our Woodie boxes this year.

Another neat looking Duck.
Posted By: Zep Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/15/12 04:46 PM
very cool
Posted By: Sniper Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/16/12 01:40 PM
More than one female woodduck may often use the same "dump" box. Last year I was lucky enough to see 15 tumble out of one of my boxes.
Posted By: R&R Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/16/12 06:43 PM
Thats pretty neat.Last spring I counted 27 babys with two Adult Females.
Posted By: Bassman70 Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/17/12 03:27 AM
When I first read these posts I read it as "woodchucks" and I was sitting here saying to myself, "rescuing woodchucks...mammalian tunnel boring machines....they all have to be crazy! Then I noticed the woodduck nesting box reference and I felt pretty stupid...lol!
Posted By: R&R Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/17/12 03:49 AM
Too Funny Bman!!

Knowing me I'd probably rescue some baby woodchucks given the opportunity.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/18/12 01:58 AM
I can't wait to see 15 baby woodchucks tumbling outta the nesting box
Posted By: Sniper Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/19/12 11:43 PM
The Woodducks are nesting again so we'll have another couple sets in the next few weeks. We saw this years babies about seven weeks ago.

Nice to see them in a full pool going into June.
Posted By: Kiko Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 01:55 AM
We put 4 wood duck boxes up in mid Feb and all were nested in. One was "dump" nested. The second round of eggs hatched. Never got to see the ducklings come out of the boxes but got a great pic of them stacked up in it. All 4 boxes produced eggs, and hatches, only got to see ducklings in one of them though. The way I fiqure, there's 25-30 more ducks out there for not a whole lot of effort.

Attached picture IMG_0658.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0873.JPG
Attached picture IMAG0432.jpg
Posted By: R&R Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 11:18 AM
Kiko,
How did you get those pic's
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 12:36 PM
Loving this thread. Good save R&R.

To those of you who have Wood Ducks in the South, do they stay all year, or do they migrate and return?

This all looks very appealing to me.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 12:42 PM
Ours (WD's) come in February and stay thru about the end of July. Black bellied whistling ducks (which also use boxes) stay thru Sept. or so. smile
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 12:48 PM
Thanks Sniper.
Posted By: Sniper Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Thanks Sniper.

No problemo. wink
Posted By: Kiko Re: Baby Wooduck Rescue - 05/21/12 11:46 PM
Our boxes were made with a wooden flap on the side that raises up. Pretty convenient. Stuck my cell phone in and presto. DNR said it wouldn't bother them to check weekly and sure enough it hasn't so far. I jumped 7 woodies off the pond Sat a.m. so they're still here.
© Pond Boss Forum