Pond Boss
Posted By: Kiko Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/04/12 02:00 AM
While licking my wounds after 3 unsuccessful attempts to bag a Tom turkey here in SC, I took my jonboat for a tour of the pond to see what's happening. Even though ole' longbeard is still dancing with the ladies, I've got the sweet smell of bream on bed and all 4 wood duck boxes are full of eggs! Yep - and would you believe he gobbled getting on roost tonight when I pulled the boat up on the bank. Go figure!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/04/12 02:04 AM
He is taunting you.
Sounds like you have a great place. Good luck on the gobbler!
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/04/12 05:19 PM
He sounds like a smart old bird!

Try watching him fly up for bed. Pinpoint the exact tree it roosts in. Go in the next morning way ealier than you want to (at least one hour before legal light). Go slow and quiet and sit under the tree he roosted in. Be quiet and wait for daylight.

I did this 2 years ago with my daughter. She fell asleep while we were waiting for daylight. The turkey gobbled at first light and scared the heck out of her. He was 20 feet above us. I felt her jump laugh

Oh well, she got even.......He flew down right to our decoys and she hammered him. 1 minute hunt!

Posted By: rub line Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/08/12 12:37 AM
Tried my hand in helping out the wooducks this year as well. Got these two pics this week. Although I dont think she appreciated the photo op.

Attached picture wooduck eggs.JPG
Attached picture female on eggs.JPG
Great photo's, your lucky to have them nest there, they're on my pond all the time but never took to the nest box, too many trees around for them to nest in.
Posted By: rub line Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/08/12 01:31 AM
Thanks AP, if I could be lucky enough to be around to see "jump day" that would be the icing on the cake.
Originally Posted By: rub line
Thanks AP, if I could be lucky enough to be around to see "jump day" that would be the icing on the cake.

That would be great, or if you could set up a game camera facing the front you might catch them on video.
Posted By: rub line Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/08/12 01:43 AM
Good idea! I hadnt thought of that.
Posted By: Kiko Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/08/12 02:43 AM
...still no gobbler. Anyway, here are some pic's of the eggs & a box. Box is courtesy of SC Dept Natural Resources, D.U., and SC Dept of Corrections.

Attached picture IMG_0873.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0768.JPG
Posted By: rub line Re: Bitter - sweet April - life is awsome! - 04/08/12 12:05 PM
great pics! Looks like a second hen laid her eggs in with the original.
I thought I was the only one in the world who had created that shield design.
© Pond Boss Forum