Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/05/11 09:27 PM
Hey everyone just thought I would share quick I shot my first deer (doe) ever with a bow on Saturday around 4:30 pm!! It was awesome!! She came in at about 15 yards man the rush I am only about 12 feet high in my stand and she could tell something wasn't quite right but couldn't figure it out!! I don't know what I would do if I monster buck walked out on me that close!! We are allowed 6 doe here or 4 doe and 2 bucks so the season is starting off good for me. Meat in the freezer already!! smile Anyway just thought I would share quick!!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/05/11 09:55 PM
Fantastic. My bow is sitting in the corner of the office. Two does, two fawns, and one buck were milling around back of the garage this morning for a long time, but they were far enough into the brush that I didn't want to try and use the bow to get them.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 04:09 AM
Bow hunting is a huge rush... I still get the shakes.
Posted By: Omaha Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 04:27 AM
Congrats! That does sound like a rush!
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 05:45 AM
Congrats! I've taken a few, and the more time you spend observing them at a close distance, the calmer you get. I've found that they sense something is wrong if you keep staring at them.

My closest one was at 20', but that was with a muzzleloader.

I heard of a guy that was Elk hunting and had to lean back when he drew his bow to keep from poking the elk with the arrow. Then I saw this youTube video of a guy moose hunting, and this cow came in on him and was actually nosing the broadhead of his nocked arrow. She had a calf in tow, and I think I'd have to change my shorts after that one.

Again, congrats on your first bow kill. Now get back to work filling the freezer!

Found it:
http://youtu.be/n-1uYxXLmNs
Posted By: GAC Lake Managem Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 11:45 AM
Congrats. You'll be hooked for life. After my first bow kill that's all I want to hunt with now.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 05:03 PM
Great for you! Your hooked. I took this week off to hunt. Had a group of 4 junior bucks come under the stand last night, but no shooters yet. Had one that will be good next year come under the stand this morning. My biggest was taken during the last week of early archery in 2008 at 5 yards - His mind was elsewhere. Took one with 12" G2's at 27 yards last year during the second weekend of October, but it was narrow (had good mass though). Been bow hunting for 16 years and was hooked after taking a huge bodied yearling at 45 yards. I cannot shoot like that anymore. Buck fever lessens, but the one I took in 2008 had my heart racing and arms shaking. Good thing he was so close and I had so little time to react. I started taking the first thing that walked by - If you keep at it, you'll get more selective. My best advice is to control your scent and/or use a cover scent. Deer can smell very well.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
My best advice is to control your scent and/or use a cover scent. Deer can smell very well.

Very good advice. I try to play the wind so that the wind is always in my favor, even with scent control measures in place.

The bigger the deer are, the more they are in tune with their surroundings, and use sight, sound and smell to their best advantage. If I had to pick one of those that I absoluetly had to fool every time, it sould be scent. Don't dismiss the others, but scent will burn you every time with the older deer. I had an old doe that couldn't smell me, but just the noise of cloth on cloth at 40 yds made her shy away. Plus, for 3 weeks after that, every time she walked past that stand, she'd make a wide circle around it staying at least 60 yds out scooting downwind when she came to that stand area. She was teaching the others in the herd to do the same at the same time. frown I finally got her during muzzleloading season where 60 yds wasn't enough.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 06:28 PM
Way to go RC.

I've never been a deer hunter, but I can appreciate the efforts of those who are. Congrats!
Posted By: DogLoyalty Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 07:16 PM
WTG RC! What kind of bow and setup you have? I missed the same doe so many times she quit quit worrying about me while I was standing in the tree stand! She would look up like "you again" and keep on walking down the trail. As far as i know she is still alive!
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/06/11 07:59 PM
Last year, I finally bought a top-tier bow, switched to a release, and doubled my accurate distance. They aren't cheap, but they are better.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 12:17 AM
This type of bow hunting is not something I generally condone. But, last year, our family and a neighboring family donated nearly 500 lbs., of fully de-boned and vacuum sealed venison to less-than-wealthy elderly neighbors who we knew would make great use of the venison. The final count was about 50% between rifles and regular modern bows, and the other 50% with these things:

The scope on this one is sighted in at 20, 40, and 60 yards. It is incredibly accurate, and every bit as effective as a rifle.

Due to warm weather this week, we've not yet taken any. As I came in my long driveway near dusk this evening, I came across 14 deer, in three different groups. As the weather cools, they will get thinned. We still have far too many -- thus the liberal bag limits in WV and VA. Both seasons opened last weekend. The WV season goes through Dec. 31, and I believe the VA season extends into January.

Good luck, all.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 01:34 AM
Ken, I have one and the drawback to them is that they are LOUD!!! Mine has a Lumizone scope on it and it's regulated every 10 yds from 10 thru 50. A rangefinder is vital (at least for me) because of the rainbow trajectory.

It doesn't sling bolts any quicker than a modern compound bow, but you don't have to draw it back when the deer is close.

Indiana is legalizing them for all archery seasons starting in 2012. Right now if you don't have a disability permit, it's only legal in late archery season.

With mine, @ 50 yds the best I can do is about a 3" group. At 20 yds I can't shoot at the same spot on the target as previously shot, I'll "Robin Hood" the bolts.

Other than not having to draw it back, I see no difference in the required hunting ability between that and a modern compound.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 01:41 AM
Scott,

It is fast enough that the sound doesn't seem to be an issue. When the deer are skiddish, not having to move while drawing, really makes a difference. I've been able to hold a 3" group at the 60 yard maximum.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. Remember -- my first statement is that I don't really condone this method. But, in areas with serious over-populations of whitetails like we have in my area, and when the legally taken meat provides months worth of meals for the elderly-poor, I can somehow justify it in my mind.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 03:45 AM
Agreed. I see and respect your viewpoint.

I view it as a tool. As long as it's legal to use, it's fine in my book. In Indiana, you can use a bow during gun season if you want. Not so in Wi.

I look at hunting as a way to put meat in the freezer, and to enjoy being in tune with nature. If I get a big buck, even better. But, since we are only allowed one per year no matter what the tool, I usually end up not shooting one because I'm waiting for one that's bigger than the one that is on the wall. I'll fill the freezer with does.

I started the stick and string thing with a recurve and cedar arrows. 30 Yds was pushing it. I would have used a long bow if I had one that was strong enough, but I didn't.

Ken, funny you should mention the speed thing. It was just discussed on another forum, this was one of the posts there:

If you look at the math of it, sound travels at roughly 1126 fps. Shooting a x-bow at 385fps. I looked all over to find the reaction time of deer, which i found to be .2sec on 4 different websites (not saying that is accurate). If you take the time it takes for the sound to get to the deer and the time the arrow takes to get to the deer you can use the numbers to help you.

at 45 yards (135feet):
--> sound to deer = 1126/135 = 8.341 --> 1/8.341 = .1198 sec
--> arrow to deer = 385/135 = 2.85 --> 1/2.85 = .35 sec or 35 mS
.35-.1198=.2309 sec for deer to react.
if deer can react in .2 sec, then the deer in this example has .03 sec to react to the shot.

at 60 yards (180feet):
--> sound to deer = 1126/180 = 6.255 --> 1/6.255 = .1598 sec
--> arrow to deer = 385/180 = 2.138 --> 1/2.138 = .4677 sec
.4677 - .1598 = .307 sec for deer to react.
if deer can react in .2 sec, then the deer in this example has .107 sec to react to the shot.

This is with all things being perfect. In reality, the numbers here will be somewhat off because your arrow slows slightly in flight.

And really who knows the actual reaction time of deer?

How fast does that x-bow sling 'em?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 06:47 AM
The county I work in is averaging 200-400 deer per sq mile. Basically, 10-20x as many deer as there should be... On many of the properties I hunt on there I get to use special DPOP tags and can kill as many deer as I can. Mostly it's bow hunting but on some of the larger county parks we get to use shotguns. My record is 12 deer in 1 day.

It's so bad in some areas they use our SWAT officers with silenced rifles and night scopes and electric powered ATV's. One officer drives, one illuminates the deer with infrared light and the other shoots the deer. All meat is donated to hunters for the hungry... Man can you stack the deer up that way! Good practice for when they have to shoot bad guys.

Sad walking through a park and you can see 400 yards because the deer have eaten every stitch of vegetation they can reach. Little hunting pressure, no predators and bleeding heart animal lovers lead to that. Deer are lovely animals when there's 15-20 of them per square mile. Much more than that and they destroy the habitat and ecosystem.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 12:06 PM
Wow, you fellas out east certainly have some deer population issues! And I thought we had a lot here in Indiana! Now the state parks, that's another story. They do get pretty thick in there, but they tend to be on the smaller side. Just not enough food to go around and too many mouths to feed.

I was taught that there are three reasons to kill an animal, any animal. The three "P's". Provisions(food), Protection(personal or property), and Profit(usually fur in our family). I don't deer hunt because I can't fit it into any of those categories. I don't need, or like the taste of, the meat. There's no money in it, and I've never been attacked by a rogue deer, although I know it happens occasionally. I made a personal decision years ago not to kill something on the basis of it's size, so I am not a trophy hunter. Please!! don't take this as an assault on your own beliefs!! I have nothing against trophy hunting, it's just not for me!

If the deer on my place began to cause problems, then I would tend to it in whatever manner I saw fit. But I would not classify that as hunting.

I allow my neighbors to deer hunt on my place, and they usually do pretty well. I don't care if they use a crossbow, or a slingshot. All I ask is that they track and retrieve what they shoot, and respect the property lines.

I am an avid squirrel hunter, but I ate so many as a kid that I no longer care for them. Every one I kill is dressed and soaked out, then delivered to my mother, who thinks they're the best thing going. When the time comes that she is no longer there to take them, I will probably cease hunting altogether. I'm teaching my oldest the ins and outs of squirrel hunting, and if he decides to try deer hunting, then I will take him, let him experience it for himself, and make up his own mind. But I will always enforce the three "P's" when he lives with me.

Again, this are just my beliefs, not anything I would try and impose on another. Deer hunting is a tradition, and a way of life for many. And, as Travis and Ken have testified, it can even be a necessity.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 12:25 PM
Tony, if you were closer I'd start squirrel hunting again and bring you all the ones that I get. I'm overloaded with them since they logged the woods across the street. They're too durn hard to skin! I can sit on the deer stand and count 10 squirrels within a minute.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 01:53 PM
I started archery hunting at age 34 because deer were distroying our Christmas tree plantings. I had target shot as a hobby for 10 years prior. I immediatly fell in love with the sport. We no longer sell Christmas trees and I do all I can to encourage the deer through habitat restoration. I am a trophy hunter but take at least one doe per year for population control. We eat the deer and feed every other scrap to our dogs throughout the year (frozen). I eat the deer because I love to hunt, not the other way around. I know of few people in America who can honestly say that hunting is an economical way to obtain food. If you do the math, you would come out ahead working for minimum wage and buying food. I hunt responsibly and within the law. As far as crossbows, the skill required for hunting and markmanship is way lower than for a modern compound. This is not even close. A crossbow is a gun that shoots a slow bullet. I hope that Indiana does not eliminate the early archery season without crossbows!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 01:54 PM
RC51 that a way to go. Im pretty much a bow snob and have not taken a deer with gun in about 6 years. I avg about 6 does a year with the bow and still get excited when they come in that close. I think you are now hooked.

Ken I have no problem with a crossbow. To each his own if you want to use a rifle muzzleloader shotgun crossbow compound bow or primitive bow. I just hope all hunters pratice their weapon of choice. We as hunters need to ban together to fight anti hunting propaganda.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
How fast does that x-bow sling 'em?

That is a TenPoint Titan TL-7. They have a draw weight of 165 lbs, and a rated arrow speed of 280 fps.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Tony, if you were closer I'd start squirrel hunting again and bring you all the ones that I get. I'm overloaded with them since they logged the woods across the street. They're too durn hard to skin! I can sit on the deer stand and count 10 squirrels within a minute.

Isn't that the way of things! You always see the game you're NOT after!
I was out last night, hoping to bag a few greys, when the woods exploded behind me, to my left. Four does came tearing up the hill towards me, running full tilt and flat out. They passed within 10 yds, glanced at me, never veered off or slowed down.

I waited to see what had spooked them up, never saw a thing. I finally walked down into the brush and found where they had been bedded, but still no sign of a pursuer. I was raised to be comfortable in the woods, but I will admit to glancing back over my shoulder more times than normal as I finished my hunt.

By the way... when you skin a squirrel do you start under the tail, and stand on it to pull the hide off? I find that way works the easiest.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
By the way... when you skin a squirrel do you start under the tail, and stand on it to pull the hide off? I find that way works the easiest.

Yep, that's exactly the way that I do it. Maybe I should try it while they are still warm? Heck, now I bet I could get my limit in less than 10 minutes.

There aren't any Greys up here, just Fox squirrels. A neighbor that lived in Ky. said the Fox squirrels are harder to skin than the Greys (larger too).
Posted By: sprkplug Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 02:45 PM
Yeah, the foxes are much larger than the greys. And they can be tough to skin, especially if they're old enough to have come over on the ark with Noah. I try to pass on shooting those!

I find greys to be a more challenging target than foxes. They're smaller, they move around more, and they spook easier. You startle a fox and he'll quiet down for a few, then likely start back up, giving you another chance. Startle a grey, and you may not see or hear him any more that day.

Definitely keep your squirrels warm, and on the smaller side when it comes to skinning.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
RC51 that a way to go. Im pretty much a bow snob and have not taken a deer with gun in about 6 years. I avg about 6 does a year with the bow and still get excited when they come in that close. I think you are now hooked.

Ken I have no problem with a crossbow. To each his own if you want to use a rifle muzzleloader shotgun crossbow compound bow or primitive bow. I just hope all hunters pratice their weapon of choice. We as hunters need to ban together to fight anti hunting propaganda.

Hey thanks everyone it was awesome to get that close to a very in tune animal even though it was a doe. Some of them are pretty dang smart!! I am hooked and going back this weekend again! We love deer meat and will use every bit of it. For those who asked I shoot a Bear compound bow. Not the best in the world only about 300 bucks but it works for me! I use a 60,lbs draw and it's a nice little bow. Maybe I will see Mr. Big this weekend?? You never know till you go!! smile I'll let you all know what happens!
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/07/11 10:21 PM
Thanks Tony.

RC51, don't be fooled. I think the older wiser does are smarter than most bucks.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/08/11 05:33 PM
Does are often harder than young bucks because they usually traven in multiples - more eyes, ears, and noses. Most mature animals got that way by being skiddish.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/10/11 01:51 PM
Weekend Update,

Well it was kind of warm and windy so not to great hunting weather. I did see 2 smaller does on Sat. morning but passed on them. And about 9 fricken turkeys at my feeder! I guess I could have taken a Turkey but not to hip on Turkey meat! I wish it would have been a few hogs I would have smoked a nice hog in heartbeat! Oh well better luck next weekend!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 03:41 AM
Congrats on the doe, RC! I have not yet taken up bowhunting because I just don't have the time I feel I would need to become proficient enough to ensure a kill versus just maiming the deer. I won't do that. Bowhunting sounds like a real rush and I'd love to try it someday, but not until I have better flexibility with my time to practice a bunch. Good luck on the next one!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 03:43 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Ken, I didn't know you could hunt with a crossbow here unless you had a disability, permanent or temporary. I looked into it after my shoulder surgery a couple of years ago but didn't go through with it because I figured I'd only be able to use it for one season while I did my rehab. Are you saying it's legal in WV under some set of circumstances?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 06:54 AM
Not sure on WV but PA and VA have legalized crossbows in all archery seasons.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 11:30 AM
Due to shoulder problems I can't use a bow. And due to my cheapskate outlook, I can't use a 10 point crossbow. Those things are great but kinda pricey.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Ken, I didn't know you could hunt with a crossbow here unless you had a disability, permanent or temporary. I looked into it after my shoulder surgery a couple of years ago but didn't go through with it because I figured I'd only be able to use it for one season while I did my rehab. Are you saying it's legal in WV under some set of circumstances?

Oh! I may need to find a lawyer!
Posted By: Sniper Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 01:52 PM
Texas legalized crossbows a year or two ago across-the-board. Fine by me.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Due to shoulder problems I can't use a bow. And due to my cheapskate outlook, I can't use a 10 point crossbow. Those things are great but kinda pricey.

Dave, I have a Barnette Revolution. e-bay IIRC $200 is what I paid.

Very crappy trigger, but if you concentrate on the trigger when you use it, it works pretty well. I have a Excalibur Lumi-Zone scope on it and that scope really completes the package. I filled the hollow stock with expanding foam to help with the noise, and you can get a crank cocking device to help cock it. I use a rope cocking device, but after 10 shots, even that gets tiring to use. I'm afraid to shoot at the same target dot twice at less than 40 Yds. Too aftaid of hitting the bolt that I just shot.

They're legal for turkeys in Indiana, and in late archery season for deer. Next year they'll be legal in all archery seasons for deer.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/11/11 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Oh! I may need to find a lawyer!

You know I'd hook you up!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/12/11 10:44 AM
Scott, is there any way to smooth down or adjust the trigger? What kind of accuracy are you getting with it?

I have a chance to hunt on a trophy ranch just South of San Antonio this year. It's a bow lease and one of the guys is going to loan me his 10 point. I'm pretty stoked about that.
Posted By: Sniper Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/12/11 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Scott, is there any way to smooth down or adjust the trigger? What kind of accuracy are you getting with it?

I have a chance to hunt on a trophy ranch just South of San Antonio this year. It's a bow lease and one of the guys is going to loan me his 10 point. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Pretty accurate. I think that's why he said he was afraid of putting one bolt on another.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/12/11 02:02 PM
Congrats RC !!! I very well remember my first bow kill even tho it was just a yearling doe and almost 40 yrs ago. I still get that super adrenalin rush when one is within 25 yrds, especially if they're on high alert. One with the bow is as good as two with a gun, probably even better. The best post on this topic is by DogLoyaly, had ta snicker on that one. When you've reached the point that you can laugh at and with yourself, you've won.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/12/11 02:12 PM
Dave, I can't figure out how to fix the trigger on it. Heck, I can't even figure out how to get TO the trigger group! I even bought another bare stock off of e-bay and still can't figure it out. Accuracy? If it's calm, and I'm shooting from a rest, 4" at 50 Yds, and at 30 yds or less the possibility of sticking one bolt into another and ruining the first bolt is a real possibility.

Let me know how the trigger is on the 10 Point. I've never shot one.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/13/11 01:49 AM
I still remember my first one. I've got a number of deer over the years; but that one might be my most memorable. Kudos! smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/13/11 11:33 AM
Scott, I've shot the 10 point at a target. At about 25 or so yards, it was extremely, almost rifle, accurate and has a smooth trigger pull. I would love to have one but not at the price. I almost bought one from an individual. However, when I did my research I found that they had toned some of them down for youth hunters. This one turned out to be one of the "weaker" ones.
Posted By: Jorge VA Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/13/11 11:45 AM
Congrats RC. I am surprised to see how many of us are bow hunters - maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm pleasantly surprised!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/13/11 11:28 PM
This is my Ten Point.

Very smooth trigger and with custom arrows, it's scary accurate...

I do enjoy hunting with it far more than a rifle or muzzleloader. However, my baby is my Matthews bow.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/14/11 10:53 AM
Ken, I like the admonishments.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/14/11 05:25 PM
Hey thanks everyone. I am going back this weekend to give it one more try before ML opens up. I would be stoked if I got another doe or a nice buck still with my bow. That way i could pretty much hunt for antlers knowing I already have meat in the freezer! Plus the youth hunt is coming up too and my son is a pretty dang good shot with his 30:30. smile

Good hunting fellas and remember if your in a tree always put on your harness guys! You family depends on it!! smile
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/15/11 12:21 PM
RC, you really know you're hooked on archery when ML or rifle is legal but you still take out the bow... I have some friends like that, me I still like lead at high velocities.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/15/11 01:00 PM
Well I blew it Thursday afternoon. Went out in the drizzle to a ladder stand near a small steam (mostly dry now). Not 15 minutes after settling in, I saw a buck that I watched quite a bit last year. He has a lame front leg and a single drop tine that is now about 5" long. He still needs at least 2 years to be a trophy. Well then I saw he was with another buck coming toward me in the stream bed also. I assumed that he was the same one that Gimpy ran with last year, but there seemed to be a lot of tines, but they did not look long, so I kept my bow laying across my lap. I am sure you know where this is going by now. Well when he popped out of the overhanging brush, he was way out from his ears and a nice typical 10 point. At least a 140 and possibly as big as mid 150s. He now knew something was not right but he proceeded up on my right side
10 yards away, but his eyes were right in my direction the entire time and the other buck was on my left, so I did not know where his eyes were at. The big guy looked straight up at me but did not bolt. He jogged out to about 25 yards strait in front of my stand but behing brush. He then proceeded away to the right, came back in front and then to the left, and then came back again and proceeded away into a weed field, all while behind a line of brush. Don't know if I'll see him again, but I had my chance and really blew it! I now wish that I had attemted the shot with his eyes in my direction. Maybe he was looking lower. woulda coulda shoulda
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/15/11 04:54 PM
Ouch!

You did the right thing by not shooting. Any movement with him looking your way would have spooked him. As it stands now, nothing spooked him, so he might be coming back down the same trail later.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/15/11 05:34 PM
That's what I am hoping. I got last year's buck on the 3rd sighting, but saw one "over the hill" buck just once during the first week. Got both of the one's from last year on a trail cam, but have not seen one good buck on the camera this year. Knowing he is around makes it a bit more fun. Real windy here today.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/21/11 06:26 PM
Hey Everyone well I been busy sorry couldn't get back right away but believe it or not I actually shot another nice doe this last Saturday morning. I couldn't believe it! About a 27 yard shot! Man I go from never shooting a deer with a bow to shooting 2 in one season!!! I am blessed this year for sure!! I hope the good Lord lets that big O'le buck come my way while he is being so generous and all to me! ML season starts here tomorrow and I am so stoked that I can now hunt for antlers as I have deer in the freezer already! I haven't shot a 8 point or bigger buck since 1985! Yeah you read that right 1985. I am hoping this is the year! Hey good luck to everyone else out there and remember be careful out there!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/21/11 08:31 PM
Congrats RC! You are doing well this year. Good luck tomorrow.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/21/11 10:24 PM
2nd congrats RC. Rah, you might not have got a shot at that big boy but I know that rush and it's priceless!!! Carry on all bowmen.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/22/11 04:17 PM
Well, I saw 4 more does this morning, so he'll be back during rut.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/22/11 06:38 PM
Found the looped piece of parachute cord that I use for pulling my bow into one of my tree stands broken off with the bottom peice gone (not cut). I am guessing some antlers got caught. Replaced it and noticed a new rub within 20 yards all around an 8" tree! I'll be there tonight and tomorrow morning.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/22/11 10:16 PM
Good luck! It's getting to be that time of the year.
Posted By: Sniper Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 12:07 AM
Amen, esshup. Now for all you hunters, heads up. Be careful out there. Make sure of the shot, whether bow or gun. I've let several nice deer go, because I could not be absolutely sure where the round would end (up if I missed). And, of course, be sure of where your buddies are.

Also, those who climb up into stands, be sure of your mooring and don't let the buck fever allow you to fall. An ounce of prevention and all that.

Good hunting!
Posted By: vamaz Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 12:53 AM
Hard to beat the first deer with a bow. Kid #1 (13 yr old) came real close this morning. Drew his recurve for the first time on a deer - doe at 10yds - but didn't shoot 'cause he couldn't get her to stop. He shoots that bow real well, but he made the right choice. And that's what's great about bowhunting - all kinds of close calls between the successes. I'm not sure the adrenaline has competely worn off him yet.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Sniper
I've let several nice deer go, because I could not be absolutely sure where the round would end (up if I missed). And, of course, be sure of where your buddies are.

Also, those who climb up into stands, be sure of your mooring and don't let the buck fever allow you to fall. An ounce of prevention and all that.

Good hunting!

Amen to that!
I passed on this deer last year because I didn't have a good shot, he was facing away from me. I finally got pictures of him in late January. (the date on the camera is wrong.) Hopefully I'll see him again this year.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 10:59 AM
Is that temp right?
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 12:59 PM
Yep. IIRC, that was taken roughly 8:00 a.m. too..... A brisk late January day. wink
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/23/11 01:59 PM
Beautiful deer! Think it went 160?
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/24/11 03:46 AM
I don't know. I looked for the sheds, but no luck. I haven't seen it this year, but I only saw it once last year, and caught once on a camera for a 3 picture sequence.

If it survived, it'll surely be bigger. I think it's only a 3.5 year old deer at the most. There wasn't much of a swayback or sway belly on it when I saw it in person.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/25/11 05:50 PM
Well didn't get anything this last weekend. Had some action just nothing worth shooting. Still a good time out in the woods though. Taking off this Friday and going for 3 day and gonna hit it hard. I will report back good or bad smile Be careful everyone and good luck!!
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 10/29/11 01:34 PM
Saw that 10pt Thursday evening from the same stand as before, but this time he chose another way out of the stream bottom behind brush(now it is blocked with some branches so he won't do that again). Saw him again from another nearby stand Friday evening, but he was bedded in weeds on my entry route. About 20 minutes after settling into the stand, he got up and walked away. Interestingly, he turned around and trotted straight back at me looking over his shoulder and turned into some woods maybe 75 yards away. He had spotted a pop-up blind that I put up last weekend in anticipation of gun season. Glad that I put it up early cause the big guys need to get used to it.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/01/11 05:41 PM
Well this last Sunday I got me 1 more doe with a ML about 90 yards away!! I am a doe shooting fool. That gives me 3. My freezer is full for sure! Now it's time to hunt for antlers! Bring on the rut!!
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/01/11 05:47 PM
The best weekend is coming up! Youth hunt! A time where my son and I get to spend the weekend together out in the woods and camping and just hanging out away from all the other distractions in the world. Hopefully he will get something this year! He is 15 now and doesn't exactly like to hang out with dad to much anymore, but hunting for deer is an exception. I will enjoy it much more then he will I guarantee you that!! smile
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/05/11 04:21 PM
Bucks in central Indiana are grunting and following does slowly. Saw the 10 pt for the 5th time last night but did not feel comfortable witha 40 yard shot using broadheads. My field tips fly more consistently.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/07/11 01:11 AM
The rut is on here. I saw 9 yearlings at the feeder Saturday. No bucks and no does. However, I did see 3 separate deer running very quickly about 350 yards away. Couldn't tell what they were.
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/07/11 04:07 PM
My son got him a button buck this weekend!! He was pretty excited! It's not real big or anything but it was the hunt with Dad and getting to shoot him a deer that was great!! We had a great time and that's what it's all about!!
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/07/11 04:28 PM
Please tell him congratulations from me. That's his first deer, right?
Posted By: RC51 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/07/11 05:05 PM
No not his first but his second one! He is pretty excited! He just want's some of that good old hot summer sausage is what he wants!! :)I like the way he thinks. Food first antlers later!! My dad always told me you can't eat antlers son! smile
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/07/11 11:06 PM
My second deer was a button buck. I still remember it like it was yesterday! Awesome... Congrats to your son.
Posted By: JKB Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/08/11 02:29 AM
A guy on the news this morning got his first deer with a bow, and he seemed kinda happy, being on the news and all. Except, his bow, was a bow in the second passenger compartment window in a mini van where the deer somehow broke through. Van got trashed. Sherriff had to shoot the deer after a 911 call, guy looked kinda funny and perplexed while displaying his winter meat score and a trashed mini van in the background, But hey, he was on TV!
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/08/11 03:07 PM
Had a half-grown fawn come by followed by mom this morning. Tey wer about 10 yards away, but too close to rut to shoot does. A minute alter they ran behind me and a yearling came trailing behind. Its etting close - 6 days of slow folling so far. Not sure what the timing is between gathering and rut, but gun starts this Saturday, so I hope it happens before then.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/08/11 03:39 PM
The chase phase is on now, by the time gun season starts the "lock down" phase should be starting. If I had a whole week to spend in the woods out of the year, it would be this week. Once the does come into estrus, and start accepting bucks, then the hunting gets harder. A buck will stay with a doe for approx. 48 hrs once she "comes in". He will do everyting that she does, sticking close to her like glue and breeding with her multiple times. Once that happens, switch tactics and hunt does - the bucks will be with them and not running around looking for them. Once that 48 hr. period is done, they will start looking for another doe.

The same cycle will be repeated in November and in December, but this first "rut" is the biggest and craziest.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/09/11 02:00 AM
Always thouht that dominant bucks gathered a hirum before rut?
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/09/11 02:06 AM
Elk yes, pronghorns yes, whitetails don't.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/09/11 06:31 PM
Saw a real nice one this morning at 8 AM walking across the middle of a plowed field. Biggest one that I've seen this year. He was headed back to the woods full of does. It was raining and blowing a gail.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/09/11 09:40 PM
That weather is supposed to come our way tomorrow. The tree umbrella will be upend I'll be dry underneath. Gotta love smart phones, one can post right from their treestand like I'm doing now.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/20/11 05:30 PM
Caught him bedded

Posted By: blair5002 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/20/11 07:38 PM
That is a beautiful set of antlers. I like all the character.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/20/11 09:35 PM
Wow! What an impressive buck... I can count on one hand the number of main frame 12 points I have seen back in the east here. Gorgeous deer!
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/20/11 11:51 PM
There are 3 additional scorable stickers too!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/21/11 03:44 AM
Yeah, I saw those stickers near the bases... Very cool! Did you green score him yet? He's gotta be pushing the 170's.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/21/11 03:53 PM
Good eye, 167 raw score, 161 after deductions.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/21/11 06:52 PM
stud of a deer, way to go. Shawn Banks shot a 177" not sure he has posted pics yet. Funny thing he does not even care about racks just the meat. I got a 147" but after seeing this RAH embrassed to share it. Nice job.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/21/11 07:43 PM
I would never pass on a 140s class buck. BTW - the kickers were not scored so grossed just over 170. My best gross before was 154.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/22/11 08:06 PM
GREAT deer guys! I had a brain malfunction and didn't format the SD cards before sticking them in the cameras - I lost a weeks worth of pictures. Still haven't seen the big boy this year.

I'll be out tomorrow and as many times as possible before our gun season closes on Sunday.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/24/11 01:55 AM
How do you count stickers when determining how many points a rack has?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/24/11 02:28 AM
If over an inch it counts as a point.
Posted By: RAH Re: First Deer Ever With a Bow!!! - 11/24/11 02:01 PM
I have 3 of the 10 stickers over an inch making him a 15 point. My biggest to date was a 10. One more thing to be thankfull for. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
© Pond Boss Forum