Pond Boss
Posted By: chunting Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/01/18 05:32 PM
During the past dozen years or so, I've primarily used the fly rod fishing ponds, from 0wt to 9wt. I hung the 0wt up because I couldn't learn to cast "dental floss." I use a 2wt and/or 4wt for general pond fishing when I'm just wanting to catch some fish. When pursuing largemouth a 7wt or 8wt is generally in hand. On occasion when I need to get in the heavy stuff with the potential of tangling with something substantial, I break out the old Sage Bass for "chucking and ducking."

One fine, fall day in the Low Country of SC, I caught six species in one pond with my 2wts. A Sage XP 286, six pound tippet and size 10 bead head Mohair leech pattern and/or a T&T HS 802. The Sage sports a newer model Lamson and the T&T an old Lamson LP 1. Most of the fish that day were on the T&T.

Since 1990, I've been fishing that pond once or twice a year. I normally catch largemouth, bluegill and black crappie. Sometimes I get a grass carp, red ear or chain pickerel. The planets had to be aligned that one, special day six species were tallied. Its days like that you live for.

My version of Mike's Mohair leech. I used white, black and olive during the day.

Bass - estimated 3 pounds +/-

Grass carp - estimated 7 pounds +/-

You can see the #10 leech hung in it's snout.

Chain pickerel

Bluegill - 10"

Black crappie

Red ear sunfish

Posted By: Dam'dWaters Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/01/18 08:19 PM
That is really cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm not a fly fisherman so I probably can't even fully appreciate your accomplishment.
Posted By: RER Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/01/18 09:06 PM
I tried that in my pond., I didn't catch any thing and my arm almost fell off......
Posted By: CMM Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/01/18 11:37 PM
Chunting,

I am right there with you! I do 90% of my fishing with a fly rod. Never got 6 species in a day though, sweet.

So many think fly rods are only for trout, ah how much they are missing.
Posted By: chunting Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/05/18 04:07 AM
My first channel cat on a fly.

My largest pond fish, a 10.5# grass carp on a 4 wt and 6# tippet.

I really enjoy bass on the fly and a 7 wt outfit with a 13-16# tippet will handle bass from 5-10 lbs efficiently. I caught this 6.25 lb largemouth today on an 8 wt and 16# tippet with a 6 inch dragon tail streamer, tied on a #2 Gamakatsu B10S. The bass hit fairly close and in about four feet of water. The 8 wt easily handled her and she was released quickly after weighing with my 15# Boga.

And, one has to be prepared fishing with lighter tackle and flies, because large bass will eat something small when you least expect it. smile

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/05/18 01:54 PM
Very nice chunting. You mentioned the Sage XP 286, and my VXP 5# may be my favorite rod.

Is that a red Tricky Worm in the next to last LMB pic?
Posted By: chunting Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/05/18 11:35 PM
It's just a streamer with Mangums Dragon Tails and a little synthetic hackle. The Dragon Tail as it comes out of the package and a finished streamer.

Posted By: snrub Re: Fly rods are perfect for ponds. - 03/06/18 12:56 AM
Nice chunting! wink
© Pond Boss Forum