Pond Boss
Posted By: Mvande6 Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/20/16 06:47 PM
So, the Brazos flooded my property, including my pond. I've seen some various gar and bullhead cats. I'm trying to fish out the gar with little success. Today, I saw something I cannot explain. I saw a fish "crest" the surface like a dang dolphin. All I could see was the back side come up, complete with what looked like a dorsal fin, jump over then head back down. It's color was a blue/grey. Anyone wanna take a guess as I'm at a loss.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/20/16 07:04 PM
How big?
Posted By: Mvande6 Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/20/16 07:06 PM
It's gotta be a pushing couple feet and at least 10lb. I hooked into something that popped my 10lb braid like it was ripping paper. I assumed it was a gar, but not so sure now.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/20/16 07:26 PM
Look up bigmouth and smallmouth buffalo and see if that looks similar.
Posted By: Mvande6 Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 01:20 AM
That's not it. This was smoother almost like a catfish
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 11:46 AM
It could be a Bofin, also known as a Grinnel. A 10 lber can bust some braided line. And I bet they are in the Brazos. Sometimes they act like a Bass and will break the surface. If you have one that size in your pond, look forward to your next hook up. They can and will straighten out some hooks along with busting lines smile They are not smooth skinned like a catfish but a short eye sighting could be deceiving.

Tracy
Posted By: djstauder Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 12:15 PM
Are you sure it isn't a gar? I've seen gar gulp air from the surface.
Posted By: esshup Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 01:42 PM
My first guess would be Bowfin, but 2nd choice would be a Gar.

Both are considered to be "air" breathers at times.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 02:19 PM
Tiger sharks are known to go up Brazos during flooding. You might have your very own shark tank! eek grin
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Brazos River Flooding TX - 06/21/16 05:55 PM
Mvande6; I have several clients in Brazoria Co who were flooded earlier this month. Oddly enough, it didn't rain all that much in their area, but the Brazos River's watershed in Central Texas brought a LOT of water downstream that simply couldn't discharge into the Gulf fast enough.
Depending on the distance from the Gulf, there's no telling what you witnessed in your pond - but I'd guess it was a flathead catfish.
© Pond Boss Forum