Pond Boss
Posted By: tyler0421 Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/29/15 04:22 PM
What is your go to fly for bream and bluegill? I usually just tie on a small popper. What a good on line source for flys?
Posted By: CMM Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/29/15 04:43 PM
Blue gill are so much fun! Try wooly buggers and crystal buggers, little nymphs, bead head or plain. You can also tie a " dropper" under your popping bug. Either from the hook or leave an 8 inch or so tag end when you tie on your popper, tie on a small nymph. When the bg are hitting hard, you can get a two for one.

Have a blast!
CMM
Posted By: george1 Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/29/15 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: tyler0421
What is your go to fly for bream and bluegill? I usually just tie on a small popper. What a good on line source for flys?
Tyler, my “go to flY” is a pheasant feather fly called locally a Brimanator.
I don’t think they are commercially available or have not seen them, but they are easy to tie.

If you want a BG on every cast, fish around your feeder with Pellet flies or "Stubby Steves".

Stubby Steve:
https://www.stubbysteve.com/

Posted By: anthropic Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/29/15 08:03 PM
Bead head black nymphs for sub-surface. Foam spider with rubber legs for surface, black body & white legs so easy to see.
Posted By: Gareth Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/30/15 12:36 PM
I enjoy watching a top water strike, so I'm partial to poppers. And since Spring appears to have sprung here, the fish in my pond are all over 'em!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/30/15 12:41 PM
Gareth, I am with u. I buy and use the poppers that come in multi group packaging that I buy at Walmart or Target. They are cheap and kinda of mickey mouse fly's but the brim love them on Caddo Lake

Tracy
Posted By: RC51 Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/30/15 12:49 PM
I like the bumble bee popping bug myself. So far caught my biggest BG on it! It was 11 inches long.

RC
Posted By: vamaz Re: Your Go To Fly For Bream/Bluegill? - 03/30/15 01:07 PM
Never tried the homemade pellet flies, but can vouch for the Stubby Steves. They're also great if you've got channel cats eating the pellets!

Away from the feeder, I like a slow-sinking hare's ear nymph, or a renegade on the surface.
I've never seen the day that a black midge wouldn't work.
© Pond Boss Forum