Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/23/14 04:06 PM
This battle weary “terminator” did huge damage to hybrids and huge copper nose blue gill past couple of days, plus sized up #4 brimanator with brown maribou tail equally as good.
When tied on #4 hooks with chartreuse marabou tail for big fish, don’t seem right to call them briminators so took a little “poetic licence” for a terminator version.

Had to post picture of this little girl with a big mouth tries to eat this magnum bass size Q&D Gurgler - the foam on that thing is that thing is ¾ x 1 ¼ inches.

[video:google]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/texoma/Fishin10-22-14016_zpsbe4a8bbc.jpg[/video]

Anyway my ugly flies catch fish……
George
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/23/14 05:16 PM
Way to go, Glazeners!!!
Posted By: vamaz Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/23/14 07:06 PM
Thanks, George. I've been in deer-mode for almost a month now, but now have a sudden urge to go hit the pond after work!
Posted By: esshup Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/25/14 11:54 PM
Good going Mr. & Mrs. G!!

George, do you open up the bend on the hook on purpose, or is that something that happened during use? (either unhooking a fish or during a fight)
Posted By: george1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup

George, do you open up the bend on the hook on purpose, or is that something that happened during use? (either unhooking a fish or during a fight)

Scott, I wish you had not asked me that question laugh
It happens to me every time!!!!
My little fishin' buddy caught a really nice CNBG that I wanted a photo later, so took her fly rig to the Mule live well and handed her my fly rod with prototype Terminator fly ......well you know the rest of the story - she hooked into an unidentified monster - most likely a huge GC. The fish took her into the backing, turned quickly and the hook opened! cry
Posted By: esshup Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 01:59 AM
Uh oh. I didn't want to get you into trouble George!!

What size hook do you tie them on? I'll see if I can scrounge up some Owner hooks. I've never had a problem with them, even fighting large fish. I've broken Gamagatsu hooks in saltwater, but never Owner hooks. Never had one straightened either.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 10:40 AM
Uh oh. I didn't want to get you into trouble George!!

What size hook do you tie them on? I'll see if I can scrounge up some Owner hooks. I've never had a problem with them, even fighting large fish. I've broken Gamagatsu hooks in saltwater, but never Owner hooks. Never had one straightened either.

Scott, I have Gammiies, Owners, Mustads and Eagle Claws and never had any of them open up on pond fish, but it may not have been a fish that did the dastardly deed.
Didn't want to take the excitement away from Mrs. G's potential trophy but may have been my carelesssness. I sometimes mash the barb on a hook with my DynaKing Barrracuda vise and may have took too big a bite, but surely would have noticed.

I tied these flies on #4 hooks eyes pre-installed, given to me by a friend. They are good hooks but don't know the brand.
This could have been a bad hook, but heck we have had a lot of fun speculating about catching GC on buggy flies.

It can happen you know - GC on anything other than a Stubby or pellet fly:

Todd Overton caught this GC couple of weeks ago on a popping bug and a ten pounder on a Clouser Minnow before this one. cool
George

ps: Just remembered the last time I loaned her my fly rod was testing the first "Brimnaators" I tied. (ouch?
3 or 4 casts with no grab - told her these things were no good, handed her my fly rod and she nailed a 5 lb GC first cast that took her half way across the pond - landed and released and mad at me for not taking a picture - proceeded to catch big CNBG on every cast - made a believer out of me and been tyin' Brimanators and Terminators every since... laugh
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 12:26 PM
esshup, those of us that have had the opportunity to fish with Mrs. Glazener know who the real power is in that couple. Nicky will be rigged up, and have a fly in the water before the UTV quits rolling. It's a joy to just sit back and watch her fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 01:29 PM
Al, I know! She reminds me (A LOT) of my grandmother on my mothers side of the family. Last time I was at their place she was still driving the manual trans Benz too (and probably still is).
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 10/26/14 01:52 PM
The Mercedes is still rolling as a daily driver. It's funny how long a car will last with real steel, real paint, full frames, etc.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 11/08/14 08:49 PM

Scott, I may be a slow learner but fast enough to learn to tie my flies on my own classic 60 degree bend jig hooks that are fail safe on all streamer type flies!

Below is my last but not least version of a "brimanator",now called a Jig Hook Terminator - tied on s #4 Eagle Claw 410 jig hook...
It caught every sport fish in the pond yesterday afternoon!
No CNBG photos - enough already!

Posted By: esshup Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 11/08/14 09:08 PM
That's a fat LMB!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 11/08/14 10:35 PM
Very nice George.

What is it they say about chartreuse????
Posted By: george1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 11/09/14 01:55 PM
That's a fat LMB!!

Scott, you know me well enough that any fish photo I post has documentation... grin

Posted By: george1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 12/24/14 01:04 AM
For all the trout fly fishermen that may be interested - recall my Jig Hook Terminator?

I have a old fishing buddy in Georgia that got wind of that fly and wanted to tie one for our favorite mountain trout stream that we last fished in 2003.
We caught a lot of big trout that day.. cool

Here's a recent photo of Tom with a big trout - I have aged better.. grin

I sent him a photo and recipe on Friday and he tied one up Saturday...

Went to our favorite North Georgia mountain trout stream Sunday morning..

MERRY CHRISTMAS every one!
George Glazener
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 12/24/14 12:54 PM
I wish I had a nice trout rod.

I'll be tying terminators tomorrow. We'll see how TX pond trout like them.

Beautiful pics as always George.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Fun Pond Fishing on the Fly - 12/24/14 01:01 PM
Nice Trout. I noticed you did not give the name of the stream smile
© Pond Boss Forum