Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot Sirenidae? - 09/20/14 09:57 PM
I saw what appeared to be a 12-14" salamander today in my brood pond. It only had 2 front legs, and escaped before I could catch it. Bad picture, but he wouldn't sit still long enough to get a better one.

Maybe a Sirenidae (Siren)?

Posted By: Sunil Re: Sirenidae? - 09/20/14 10:51 PM
Freak.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 02:26 AM
Hey that's a rainbow trout. LOL
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Freak.

If this is what I think it is, these can grow to 36". That'll be a freak for sure.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 12:36 PM
WOW
Posted By: esshup Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 01:15 PM
Maybe it's there to escape the LMB in the big pond?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Maybe it's there to escape the LMB in the big pond?

If so, that was a wise decision. My first thought was that it did look like a trout as Cecil said, and I had considered turning it into a scooby snack for my LMB. Since I don't know if it's poisonous, I decided against it.

Whatever it is, it's the first time I've seen anything like it here.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 02:20 PM
I don't think they are all that common. If it was my ponds, I'd leave it there.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 02:54 PM
Oh I am, because now I'm curious to see if there are any more of them.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Sirenidae? - 09/21/14 04:47 PM
Oh wow, they are rare and require very specific conditions to survive. Clean water, low predators, ample food... I have never actually seen one though. Not too many people have...

We get Hellbenders around here, which are very large salamanders. I have only seen one in my life, and it surprised me when I flipped over a rock looking for little salamanders. Freaky looking critters! Rare to the point that zoos have breeding programs.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Sirenidae? - 09/22/14 12:12 PM
A real man would have just grabbed the thing......
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sirenidae? - 09/22/14 12:29 PM
True, but a real man wouldn't have screamed like a 6 yo girl like I did when I almost stepped on it. Unfortunately, there were no real men around.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sirenidae? - 09/22/14 12:44 PM
We went and shot Sporting Clays Saturday morning. Myself and 3 "city" boys. A chipmunk ran by in front of us about 6' away. Two of the guys jumped about a foot in the air and ran about 10'.

These same two guys, when we were in Wisconsin in June, going into a restraunt/bar to eat dinner, screamed like little girls and ran about 50' when they came face to face with a porcupine that was on the walkway going to the front door of the place. I really think they ran faster than the porcupine did. I was laughing so hard I was crying.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Sirenidae? - 09/22/14 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
True, but a real man wouldn't have screamed like a 6 yo girl like I did when I almost stepped on it. Unfortunately, there were no real men around.

LOL!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Sirenidae? - 09/22/14 05:41 PM
Those are often called the best big LMB bait around !!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Sirenidae? - 09/23/14 05:12 AM
Very cool!
© Pond Boss Forum