Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 03:29 PM
I had to post this in here as well! What a fight on this fly rod!! Biggest fish to date on my pond as far as BG go. Wow what a fight and fish!!

Ok so I go out and buy my first fly rod ever and BANG first time out with it I catch this monster BG! Caught him on a little poppin bug right over the top of a brush pile! I couldn't believe it when I saw him. The tackle box he is up next to is 11x7 and if you notice his tale is hanging down past it! I did not have a weight on it but it had to be a pound it was awesome!! He may of been just shy of 11 inches but not by much!!

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 03:37 PM
Hey RC that is a super-duper bluegill. Flyrods do catch fish; just ask George1. Note his one eye is cloudy and likely near the end of his life. You should have it mounted as proof what your pond can do.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 03:58 PM
Great job, at what age would you think this fish was?
Posted By: Hesperus Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 04:05 PM
35 minutes and not one "that's what she said" comment?
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 04:22 PM
Piggly Wiggly !!!! Ya might need a bigger boat if ya got LMB and or CC
Congratulations !!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Hey RC that is a super-duper bluegill. Flyrods do catch fish; just ask George1. Note his one eye is cloudy and likely near the end of his life. You should have it mounted as proof what your pond can do.

Hey Bill thanks and no I didn 't even notice his eye! Oh man I hope he doesn't die. I let him go thinking he had some room to grow yet, but maybe I messed up! I do want to get 1 mounted and put on my cabin wall for sure! I was so excited I just wanted to get him back in the water!! I never thought about keeping it to mount! Hopefully he'll make at and I will still get a chance!

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Snakebite
Great job, at what age would you think this fish was?

Well I bought the place in 2009 it had no BG in it at all. The next year in Feb.is when I stocked it in 2010. I stocked several 2 and 3 inchers but I also stocked 75 CNBG that were 4 to 6 inches. So this has to be from that stock I would think. So I can say pretty much that this fish is 5 years old I am guessing it was about a year when I got them. I wanna say I thought I read on here they can live up to 6? So maybe I got one last fight with this big guy before he moves on to fish heaven!! He appears to have some real good genetics so I hope he had lots of little ones!!

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:33 PM
George!! I buy a flyrod and catch the biggest fish to date on my pond!! First time out ever with a flyrod!! smile Am I proud of that fish heck yeah!! I am still on cloud nine over that fish!! smile I know it's not near a Bruce or a Nate fish but still big in my book!

I can tell you this. I seem to be abel to cast better back hand than overhand with my flyrod at least for now anyway!

I also noticed that when I did an overhand cast I seem to be able to cast farther if I let the line lay down in the water behind me before I bring it forward... Is that weird or what? Course that doesn't help when I am on the shore fishing!! smile Either way I am HOOKED NOW baby!!! smile

RC
Posted By: george1 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:33 PM
Hey RC - welcome to the wonderful world of fly flingin'!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Hey RC - welcome to the wonderful world of fly flingin'!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey thanks I was hoping you would see this post!! Them poppin bugs sure got them BG all stirred up!! smile
Posted By: Cisco Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:36 PM
Very nice RC!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/07/14 06:46 PM
That's awesome, RC!

First time out with the flyrod and you catch your biggest BG to date!

Don't get much better than that!!!

It was the same for me, first fly cast and I was fighting a BG but not near as big and beautiful as that one. But I was hooked!

Now just wait til you land that first HSB! That was the true test for me as far as reeling (or pulling) him in.

Happy fly-flingin! (credit George1)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/08/14 12:37 PM
What an entrance!!!

Is that a CNBG??
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/08/14 12:48 PM
Hey Sunil yes it is! And I when I saw it in the water I thought for a second I had a PACU on the line!!! smile smile LOL!! I have caught some nice CNBG in my pond but nothing like this one! I am stoked that I have at least one this size!! I guess my pond is doing ok!!

RC
Posted By: ewest Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/08/14 10:31 PM
Wow !!! Very nice RC and in very good condition. Well done.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/10/14 09:22 PM
WOW! What a fish! Congrat's
Posted By: vamaz Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/10/14 10:41 PM
Real nice fish, RC. Keep thowin those bugs and postin pictures!
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/12/14 02:21 AM
Really awesome Gill. I'll bet it was an absolute joy to catch on a fly rod too. That is what pond fishing is all about in my book.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/12/14 03:45 AM
RC,

What you caught is what I feel this site and the PB magazine are all about.

We learn, we build, we catch, we enjoy, and we share.

Ken
Posted By: Dirk Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/15/14 05:25 AM
Originally Posted By: RC51

I also noticed that when I did an overhand cast I seem to be able to cast farther if I let the line lay down in the water behind me before I bring it forward... Is that weird or what? Course that doesn't help when I am on the shore fishing!! smile Either way I am HOOKED NOW baby!!! smile

RC

Not weird at all, That's a "water load". its done alot when fishing in a river and drifting flies with the current. The flies eventually get downstream of you and the fly line is straightened out. At this point you can flip/cast the fly back upstream for another drift.
I use it all the time when nymphing for Steelhead.

One of the biggest mistakes I see beginners do is not stopping/pausing on the back cast. This stop/pause lets the line straighten out and it causes a tug (load) that you should be able to feel on the rod. At this point you start the forward cast.
Posted By: Dirk Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/15/14 05:27 AM
Oh, by the way that is a AWESOME BG.
Posted By: george1 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/15/14 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Dirk
Originally Posted By: RC51

RC

Not weird at all, That's a "water load". its done alot when fishing in a river and drifting flies with the current. The flies eventually get downstream of you and the fly line is straightened out. At this point you can flip/cast the fly back upstream for another drift.
I use it all the time when nymphing for Steelhead.

One of the biggest mistakes I see beginners do is not stopping/pausing on the back cast. This stop/pause lets the line straighten out and it causes a tug (load) that you should be able to feel on the rod. At this point you start the forward cast.

Dirk, good post...good info about "water load", which I call "water haul" ....might be time to instruct roll casts.
Keep up the good fly fishing posts!
George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/15/14 12:40 PM
Ok ok cool in the boat it worked great! I think that's what my problem was too when I was overhand casting I am not waiting long enough for the line to load up. When I let the line lay down in the water behind me I got an easy 4 more feet on my cast! Thanks for the info Dirk I apprecaite it!

RC
Posted By: james holt Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/22/14 01:00 AM
very nice fish
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/22/14 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
RC,

What you caught is what I feel this site and the PB magazine are all about.

We learn, we build, we catch, we enjoy, and we share.

Ken

Hey Ken you are 100 percent right! People at work look at the fish I catch and ask how did you get fish that big?? You grew that fish in your pond? How did you do that?

My answer evertime is www.pondboss.com!!! smile

RC
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/22/14 07:30 PM
RC, I keep missing this one. Phenomenal CNBG.

Showing it over that Plano style box really gives proper perspective to the size of the fish.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 07/22/14 07:54 PM
Thanks Fire I appreciate it!! Everything I got and everything I have done to my pond I owe all to the members of PondBoss! 4 years ago when I bought my place I had absolutely no idea what to do with a pond until I found www.pondboss.com then everything started coming together! No telling where I would be still if I would have never ran into this site and the great members in it!

To all the new folks out here, if I can do this with the help of these kind folks so CAN YOU!!! I had 0 expertise when it came to pond management 4 years ago, and now look even I have the every now and again trophy fish in my pond!!

It can be done!! Thanks everyone for your help and for your future help!! I will do my best to pay it forward and help someone else as it should be!!!

RC
Posted By: Sunil Re: Almost an 11 incher!! - 08/28/14 06:29 PM
Help others, and help Pond Boss too, by giving a few bucks using the Donate Tab.

Simply consider the value of what you get from the forum, for free, and then kick out a few bucks.
© Pond Boss Forum