Pond Boss
Posted By: redbank Tilapia in Western PA - 02/23/13 08:12 PM
Does anybody know of any place to get tilapia in WPA? There are places to buy other fish, but I don't know of any tilapia. Also, are there any types of cichlids at the pet store that are the same as tilapia? They look the same. Has anybody bought aquarium style cichlid/tilapia and grew them out?
Posted By: small pond Re: Tilapia in Western PA - 02/23/13 08:20 PM
Marlos fish farm in ohio sells tilapia and they deliver in pa but there is a minuim order and they charge to deliver how many did you want. I am not sure of anyone in western pa that sells tilapia.
Posted By: RobA Re: Tilapia in Western PA - 02/24/13 12:47 PM
Are tilapia legal in PA?
Posted By: keith_rowan Re: Tilapia in Western PA - 02/24/13 02:26 PM
i found this

"In Pa to acquire an artificial propagation license which is required you must contact The Department Of Agriculture, Mary Dates, At 717-783-5301 and she will send you the application to fill out. After you submit the application when approved you pay $150.00 and receive your license the whole process is 4-6 weeks."

but i'm not sure if it's like ohio, i don't need a permit if i'm raising them for myself, only if i'm selling the fish
Posted By: Cody Veach Re: Tilapia in Western PA - 02/24/13 06:18 PM
Yes and no. You have to get special permits, one for stocking in your pond "like a grass carp permit" showing a diagram that they can't get out. And there is one for aqua culture. From what I understand they were able to overwinter in the warm water discharges of Three Mile Island in the Susqhanna river, they had to shut down to kill them off.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Tilapia in Western PA - 02/27/13 01:11 AM
I am fairly certain you can only keep tilapia indoors.
© Pond Boss Forum