Pond Boss
Posted By: Clay N' Pray How adaptable are LMB? - 06/21/18 09:40 AM
I have heard over and over that bucket stocking LMB into an environment that is dissimilar to the original is detrimental to the fishes growth.
For instance, taking a 5 lb LMB from a lily pad pond to a pond with no plants but lots of forage.
They simply don't know how to hunt?
This fascinates me, since no one taught them to hunt in the first place.

Can anyone recount a success story of bucket stocking into a dissimilar BOW?
Posted By: jludwig Re: How adaptable are LMB? - 06/21/18 11:40 AM
I think the thought is that bucket stocking usually involves some LMB have basically stalled out on growth. This limits the upper limit of growth as there is no way to recover the missed growth. I could be wrong in my thinking.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: How adaptable are LMB? - 06/21/18 12:44 PM
Lusk told me and I’ve learned to listen to him.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: How adaptable are LMB? - 06/21/18 03:40 PM
The way I think of it, most of fishing success involves knowing where the fish are. I'm not going to have as much success fishing a new lake as I am at my old stomping grounds. I wonder if LMB aren't the same way. They might learn the new pattern eventually but they'll lose weight in the meantime. The main difference between me and a LMB being that when I strike out at the lake, I can still go to the grocery store.
Posted By: ewest Re: How adaptable are LMB? - 06/21/18 04:34 PM
There are a number of reasons not to bucket stock. One is noted above. A little twist to the rational. Bucket stocking LMB into any water that has an existing LMB over 2 years old is a problem because of the carrying capacity and competition for food.
© Pond Boss Forum