Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/05/15 12:33 PM
Probably been asked a million times on here but at what size cnbg should I be able to keep some to eat and not hurt my breeding stock? They are not a year old yet and are 7 inch and about6 ounces in weight. Will not stock any bass till next spring. These fish grew from 1 inch in Feb. this year to 7 inch in 6 months.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/05/15 04:22 PM
If you want a meal I would suggest keeping females, and/or those males that don't measure up to their siblings. I wouldn't keep the largest size class of males, or any fish that displays exceptional body dynamics.
Posted By: Boburk Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/05/15 07:06 PM
I have read so much about fish lately, I am not 100% sure what theory applies to what fish. Someone correct me if this not about CNBG.

I read that removing the larger fish makes the smaller ones start breeding sooner. When they start breeding, their energy goes into that instead of growing. If larger breeders are left in, the younger fish do not start breeding as soon and get larger quicker.

Again, not sure if that theory was about CNBG or not...

The reason spark plug said to eat the females is because they can lay 1,000 to 100,000 eggs each. The males make the nest. So it would not take many females to repopulate a pond...and they aren't needed to make nests.

Sean
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/05/15 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
If you want a meal I would suggest keeping females, and/or those males that don't measure up to their siblings. I wouldn't keep the largest size class of males, or any fish that displays exceptional body dynamics.

A management tool, and dinner. That's a great combo.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 10:36 AM
The average Texas pond becomes bass heavy and bluegill light. For that reason, I don't eliminate any BG.
Posted By: Flame Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 12:53 PM
Dave I have been thinking about that. I believe I will hold out and probably just eat lmb later.I hate to eat my babies. I would hope to have an easier time killing the lmb. Will have to to keep a stable pond.
Posted By: RC51 Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 02:08 PM
I now have 10 inch BG and if I keep any to eat I like to keep the ones between 7 to about 8.5 inches maybe 9, but 9 is my cut off. I like the 9 plus for breeding and having fun catching!!

RC
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 02:56 PM
Focus on removing mostly the females of your slot limit harvest size or your best guess to be the female CNBG. This helps reduce BG competition and helps maintain a large average size BG population.
Posted By: Caviler03 Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 04:22 PM
With all the talk on removing female CNBG, can someone post a picture of a male and female for comparison just for a review for us new pond guys..
Posted By: RC51 Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 05:04 PM
Well I don't have a female pic but here is a nice 9 inch male.

I can mostly tell male from female fairly good from the ear. Most males ears are a lot bigger them females and more round at the end.

Female ear is quite a bit smaller and les round if you will at the tip.

Plus I find they are quite a bit lighter in color on the belly area mine are almost kind of pinkish.

Wish I had one to show you sorry.

RC

Attached picture Nice 9 inch CNBG.jpg
Posted By: Caviler03 Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 09:16 PM
Awesome RC, thanks for the response!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/08/15 09:17 PM
Here you go, nothing like the classics...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21514&page=1
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/09/15 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Flame
I hate to eat my babies.

Flame,

This is the biggest problem I have.....Nobody in the family wants to eat our fish cause they are all pets! We harvested a few this year but it was definitely under protest!

Good luck Amigo!

Bill D.
Posted By: Flame Re: What size cnbg to keep to eat - 09/09/15 12:52 AM
Gotcha Bill, We feel the same.
© Pond Boss Forum