Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty What's bugging this RES? - 06/20/15 12:57 PM
Besides missing and ear tab on one side, this RES has clear bubbles in its fins. crazy

This is the only fish I have seen like this. Gas Bubble Disease?

Posted By: FINnFUR Re: What's bugging this RES? - 06/20/15 02:45 PM
Interesting - don't have your answer but found this one also:
https://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease

can be caused by severe algae bloom also ?
Posted By: Shorty Re: What's bugging this RES? - 06/21/15 02:21 AM
On Wednesday this week it got into the lower 90's here with very little wind. I came home to find the the pond looking like this after work, lots of very tiny bubbles coming to the surface along the edge of the pond with a bubble film covering 90% of the pond. My pond has been turbid for the last month due to rain but has started clearing quite a bit in the last few days, an algae bloom has been kicking in. Whatever this film was covering most the pond it appears to have been short lived.

Posted By: Shorty Re: What's bugging this RES? - 06/21/15 01:33 PM
I did catch one more RES with the same symptoms yesterday, it was caught the same shallow area the first one was caught, an area where they typically spawn. I also caught several other RES, a few SMB, YP, and GSH yesterday with no symptoms like this, very weird.

One thing to note, I have tons of freshly hatched fish fry along the edges of the pond. They appear to be mostly GSH fry with possibly RES fry mixed in, at 5-7 mm it is hard to tell what they are at this point. The first wave of GSH that hatched 3-4 weeks ago are already 1"+ now.

My water clarity 5 days ago was 5-6", in the last few days it jumped up to 11-12".
© Pond Boss Forum