Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 04:11 AM
March 7 was a good day for bucketmouths in the Lone Star State:

Per Texas Parks & Wildlife:

March 7, 2015:
ShareLunker #562 caught from Sam Rayburn today by Darrel Pompkins. 14.32 pounds.

March 7, 2015:
Wayman Triana of Nacogdoches caught ShareLunker #561 from
Sam Rayburn fishing Bass Champs tourney. 13.05 pounds

March 7, 2015:
Shannon Elvington, 15.18 pounds, Lake Ray Roberts
ShareLunker ShareLunker #560

https://www.facebook.com/sharelunkerprogram?fref=nf

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20150309b
Posted By: Flame Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 11:40 AM
Brings back old memories!! My partner Randy Burch and I caught what was the lake record at the time a 13.76 largemouth bass on Lake Sam Rayburn. I remember him catching it on his birthday February 2,nd. Can't remember exactly what year. The fish was caught on a black and blue jig in 16 ft. water in the San Augustine park area. We did not have a net and I just lipped it but took both hands to drag it in the boat! Lone Star Lunkers picked her up and released her back to us later. We carried her back to the exact spot we caught her and released her.It was a real big deal back then. The old record was many years old. But Big Sam was about to explode!! We held the record for only about 6 months and a 14 pounder was weighed in.Many more lunkers after that.We visited her at the hatchery once. Great program and glad to have been a part of it.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 11:44 AM
2 from Big Sam on the same day? Outstanding.

I wonder what time they were all caught. The moon was out yesterday morning, and I'm guessing rising warmer water after all the runoff maybe?

Mark, we went to Quitman for dinner last night, and crossed Lake Fork twice. You could have walked from boat to boat all across the lake. Now's the time for huge egg filled LMB, and guys are sure after them.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 11:52 AM
No doubt about it, this is the best time of the yr for catching big bass in Texas. If you don't catch your lake record fish, you might catch the heaviest stringer of your life. I kept a fishing journal for at least 12 yrs and the magic dates were Feb 15th through March 15th. I lost the journal when desk tops came out and after I loaded all the information there, only to lose it all a couple of yrs later frown
Tracy
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 01:06 PM
Tracy, from now until the end of March, I won't leave the house without a rod rigged and ready.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/08/15 04:47 PM
Al, that is a good plan smile
Posted By: esshup Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/09/15 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Tracy, from now until the end of March, I won't leave the house without a rod rigged and ready.

Al, I didn't see a rod mount on the tractor..... wink
Posted By: Flame Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/09/15 02:23 PM
Post spawn bass on Sam Rayburn are feeding heavily thru April. It is a great time for a 30# sack of 5 fish!! Get out a big 3/4 ounce red Rattle trap and hang on!
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/09/15 08:50 PM
Neat video on Facebook showing them caring for the
15.18 pound lunker that just joined the Tx ShareLunker program:

https://www.facebook.com/sharelunkerprogram
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 01:35 PM
sad news frown

Texas Parks and Wildlife - ShareLunker Program Update

SL 560, caught by Shannon Elvington March 7 from Lake Ray Roberts, 15.18 pounds, died over the weekend.

SL 561, caught by Wayman Triana March 7 from Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 13.05 pounds, died Tuesday night.

SL 562, caught by Darrell Tompkins March 7 from Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 14.32 pounds, has been returned to Sam Rayburn.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 03:45 PM
SL562 returned to Sam Rayburn probably also died. Big old aged bass are like very old 90+yr grandparents - usually weak and do not tolerate intense exhausting activity, extensive photo ops without adequate oxygen and no careful handling. These big old trophy fish should probably not even be lifted from the water.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 04:24 PM
Bill I am not disagreeing with you at all, because you know a heck of a lot more about such matters than me...but wouldn't a large bass need large meals or to eat a lot? So how does the "90 year old weak grandma theory" square up with that bass needing to chase either lots of prey or attack large active prey? Again not disagreeing with you, just need to square it in my own head.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 06:23 PM
I'm guessing the surviving Rayburn fish was determined to be a F1?
Posted By: george1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 06:37 PM
Yep, correct as usual Al!
F1s are released back into lake where caught as soon as DNA tested.
Only DNA tested pure Florida LMB are held for brood stock - right?
G/
Posted By: RC51 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 08:28 PM
Well bass of that size don't need to swim real far or fast for their food. They sit and wait behind a stump or a log or a nice big rock and they know where to sit! If they do take off after something it's not more then a few feet and then right back to the log. Another thing is they don't have to go far to get there meal if it gets close! That mouth is so big the suction power when they open their mouth up is like a big ole vacuum. Anything within 12 inches is going to die!! smile

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 08:38 PM
Oh and one other thing. All I know is if I catch any bass over 10 pounds it's going one place! On the cabin wall!!!! smile No way it is going back in the water! smile

RC
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 08:46 PM
Interesting - why would SL 562 be an F-1. If so it is proof F-1s get big. When was the DNA tested on 562 to know its genetics.
Wondering how the process works.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:08 PM
ewest, IIRC 40-45% of the LMB submitted to the Sharelunker program were F1's, and not used as broodstock.

I just checked, and TPWD confirmed that it was a Northern/Florida cross.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Interesting - why would SL 562 be an F-1. If so it is proof F-1s get big. When was the DNA tested on 562 to know its genetics. Wondering how the process works.

Eric not sure if this answers your question:

WHY ARE SOME SHARELUNKERS RETURNED TO THEIR RESERVOIR OF ORIGIN AND NOT SPAWNED?

All donated fish are tested to determine their exact genetic make-up. Only fish that test out to be “pure Florida bass” are accepted into the selective breeding program. While we know bass having a combination of northern and Florida bass genes (intergrades) can reach large size, the majority of the donated ShareLunkers are pure Florida bass. By limiting the selective breeding program to those fish, we are able to cross pure Florida bass females over 13 pounds with pure Florida bass males which are offspring of previous ShareLunkers, increasing the odds of superior genetics and potential for achieving maximum size. All fish that are not accepted into the breeding program are returned to the lake of origin as soon as they have fully recovered from the initial trip, if that is the desire of the angler who donated the fish.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/faq/
Posted By: george1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:12 PM
Interesting - why would SL 562 be an F-1. If so it is proof F-1s get big. When was the DNA tested on 562 to know its genetics.
Wondering how the process works.

There have been many anecdotal reports published from outdoor writers as well as TP&W magazine articles about theTexas Share Lunker program.

Currently the only LMB hatched by TP&W are DNA tested pure Florida LMB. The sucessfdul stocking program in Texas lakes are pure Florida LMB fry. I do not know when the DNA testing became standard procedure.
All Share Lunker LMB that do not test pure Florida are returned to the lake where caught.

The DNA tested Florida LMB are saved for brood stock, one of which has set a record for numbers of offsprings stocked in Texas waters.
Posted By: george1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Interesting - why would SL 562 be an F-1. If so it is proof F-1s get big. When was the DNA tested on 562 to know its genetics. Wondering how the process works.

Eric not sure if this answers your question:

WHY ARE SOME SHARELUNKERS RETURNED TO THEIR RESERVOIR OF ORIGIN AND NOT SPAWNED?

All donated fish are tested to determine their exact genetic make-up. Only fish that test out to be “pure Florida bass” are accepted into the selective breeding program. While we know bass having a combination of northern and Florida bass genes (intergrades) can reach large size, the majority of the donated ShareLunkers are pure Florida bass. By limiting the selective breeding program to those fish, we are able to cross pure Florida bass females over 13 pounds with pure Florida bass males which are offspring of previous ShareLunkers, increasing the odds of superior genetics and potential for achieving maximum size. All fish that are not accepted into the breeding program are returned to the lake of origin as soon as they have fully recovered from the initial trip, if that is the desire of the angler who donated the fish.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/faq/

Zep, you type faster than I and give better info - guess the Share Lunker program has been around so long we take things for granted.
You too Al!
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:22 PM

March 18, 2015

Three of this year's five ShareLunkers have come in with broken jaws.

Two have died. The other has been returned to the lake.

The only explanation we have for the broken jaws is fish being held vertically by the lower jaw.

Broken jaws can kill fish in two ways. An infection can start at the break and invade other organs. Or, the fish may not be able to feed and will starve.

To prevent broken jaws, big fish should always be supported with two wet hands, one gripping the lower jaw and the other under the tail. We recommend that any fish weighing 7 pounds or more be handled with two hands.

Fish should be landed with a net and not lipped.

The lower jaw should never be rolled under so the fish can be held up for pictures.

Fish should be handled as little as possible (no multiple picture-taking sessions) and kept in a well-aerated live well until placed in a minnow tank or picked up by TPWD. Pictures of the angler with the fish can be taken at that time.

To watch video of ShareLunker #561 Necropsy: (that shows broken jaw)

https://www.facebook.com/sharelunkerprogram?fref=nf
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Zep, you type faster than I and give better info

Big difference George...you actually know the answers.
I just copy and pasted.

Thank You.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:35 PM
Zep - how many anglers know how to properly handle a trophy? Most are probably so excited when they get a trophy their pants are wet from panic peeing, let alone thinking now I have to be careful how I land and handle this fish.

I have this theory that the biggest bass as RC says do not need to swim fast. I think that often the biggest bass are eating the biggest forage fish that are often sickly or weak with old age, thus they pick the easiest biggest weakest prey to eat. A lot of fish die of old age each year. Few others can eat old age BG or other fish except the biggest predators. Old eating the old type of thing. Does this fit into the optimum foraging theory?
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:44 PM
Thanks Bill....makes sense.

And I would be one of the super excited hands shaking
ones if I caught one that big....and now I know better
what not to do if I am ever blessed enough to land one.

It's really sad watching that Facebook video of that
great fish and think it may have been killed because
it was handled wrong.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/18/15 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I think that often the biggest bass are eating the biggest forage fish that are often sickly or weak with old age, thus they pick the easiest biggest weakest prey to eat. A lot of fish die of old age each year. Few others can eat old age BG or other fish except the biggest predators. Old eating the old type of thing. Does this fit into the optimum foraging theory?

This made me think of this quote from Cliff Clavin (Old Cheers TV Show). (I will apologize now Bill C. for tainting your profound thinking with some maybe not so profound! grin )

Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

grin
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/19/15 01:03 AM
I better start drinking more beer. Good excuse.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/19/15 02:54 AM
I can honestly say that I have neither mishandled or broken the jaw of a 10 lb+ bass.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 03/19/15 02:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I can honestly say that I have neither mishandled or broken the jaw of a 10 lb+ bass.

I haven't either....guess I have to catch one first! grin
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 04:34 PM

Texas Parks and Wildlife - ShareLunker Program
4/8/15

David Campbell Perciful of Conroe caught
Toyota ShareLunker #563 from Lake Conroe last night.

The fish weighed 13.14 pounds and was caught
on a Texas-rigged lizard in six feet of water.

Posted By: Flame Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 05:16 PM
I thought there was only about 6 lmb in Lake Conroe!! That one must have ate the rest of them!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 05:30 PM
James a friend of mine caught a 10+ # out of there last year. They there
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 07:51 PM
Holy cow...I hope I get the chance to handle an 8# LMB, much less something that big. And if I do I'll be putting it right back in the water after a few pics and measurements to send Cecil so he can build me a replica for the wall!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 08:31 PM
I can't help but feel sorry for those shared fish. It seems like there are many instances where they perish after being caught. Why do we never see a photo from the boat, or lake shore? I'm sure they have to submit the fish for examination and identification, it's not like there's a giant #563 emblazoned on its side.

Maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture. Just seems like a lot of needless stress and handling endured by the fish.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Holy cow...I hope I get the chance to handle an 8# LMB, much less something that big. And if I do I'll be putting it right back in the water after a few pics and measurements

I hear you...and me2...my biggest was 6.5 on a Bang-O-Lure.
but I also think Texas Parks & Wildlife believes there is value and
benefit in their ShareLunker program studies of these very large black
bass that over-rides the occasional death of a lunker that occurs because of their studies.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 08:42 PM
+1 Sparkie.

Does anybody know how many, or what percentage, of the fish collected during this program actually survive?
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture. Just seems like a lot of needless stress and handling endured by the fish.

Texas Parks & Wildlife ShareLunker Program
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Texas Lunkers - April 7, 2015 - 04/08/15 08:45 PM
My neighbor at the country has a small 1/2 ac pond with some huge bass in it he caught two last year over 10 lbs.... Both died the next day after being released. Don't know the details but imagine stress and hot weather was a key. Such a shame

Pat
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 08:56 PM
The past few years survival rate looks pretty good. Looks like they're off to somewhat of a rough start this year, though.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/archives/
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 09:14 PM
Interesting that 3 of the 5 caught were FX fish not pure Fla.

I went back through several years and it appears that more than half of the fish caught were FX fish.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 09:19 PM
The past few years survival rate looks pretty good. Looks like they're off to somewhat of a rough start this year, though.

Plus there is no real way to know how many large bass
after being caught and thrown back actually survive.
I am not saying there is no stress difference, but it's
not like all of those thrown back survive.

I have faith that the Texas Parks & Wildlife would not
operate this program for years if the benefits did not
outweigh the negatives.
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 09:23 PM
They are gathering extensive data through this program and others to quantify (possibly justify) their programs. Advancing science and providing a benefit to the public. All fisheries science programs have fish that die.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 09:27 PM
Zep, you have more faith in governmental agencies as a whole than I do.

Possibly justify.....like that ewest!
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 10:06 PM
Zep, you have more faith
in governmental agencies as a whole than I do.

sprkplug I very seriously doubt that.
I am an extreme conservative than can not stand Washington.

In fact I hope and pray that Texas can
peacefully secede sooner rather than later.

However we can "agree to disagree" on Texas Parks & Wildlife
because I think they perform well as a State agency and that
this Texas Parks & Wildlife ShareLunker program is an overall
positive endeavor.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/08/15 10:38 PM
No disagreement Zep. I'm sure that many positive benefits have come, and will continue to come from the program.

However I also tend to recognize that oftentimes, there are external factors associated with such endeavors. ($$$)
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/09/15 09:59 PM
Texas Parks & Wildlife posted another video on Facebook today.

Interesting video.

"We're hoping some ShareLunker offspring will be next. If we have any pure Florida ShareLunkers to spawn, they will be put into one of the large raceways and paired with males whose parents were pure Florida descended from previous ShareLunkers. TFFC produces about half the pure Florida largemouth bass stocked into Texas public waters each year. That process is well under way."

ShareLunkers Tanks - Spawning

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/10/15 10:09 AM
Interesting that they hang the mats vertically.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/10/15 11:54 AM
Cool video. I'd probably the first guy that dropped a mat.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/14/15 01:23 AM
Just some news coming across my feed

ShareLunker 563 has died. The cause of death is under investigation.
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 04/14/15 08:42 PM
Nice video work ! Classic use of spawning mats. Once removed from the brood fish tank the mats must be kept so that well oxygenated water flows over them (like tail fanning).
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 05/21/15 04:39 PM
Texas Fishing Hall of Famer Mark Stevenson
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 05/22/15 01:56 PM
I remember him.
Posted By: Flame Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 05/22/15 06:14 PM
I competed against him many times during my pro fishing career. Great guy!!
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 05:56 PM

Oct 2, 2015

Roy Euper of Lufkin caught Toyota ShareLunker 564 from Sam Rayburn Reservoir on Monday.

The fish weighed 13.2 pounds and was 25.5 inches long and 22 inches around.

Fish was caught 30 feet deep with a crank-bait.

Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 06:00 PM
Facebook comments about this "Big Sam" fish:

Tim Malone: "I wanna know what crankbait he was using at 30 feet. Lol"

Texas Parks and Wildlife - ShareLunker Program: "He did not share that information, but I'm guessing a DD-22"

Tim Malone: "DD-22 won't get down to 30 feet on it's own, neither will a SK 10 XD. Unless it was weighted or long lined, it was more likely a Luhr Jensen Hot Lips or a Mann's 30+. . .but I know a few guys who throw a DD-22 with a weighted hook on the front to get it down there"
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 07:06 PM
Lets wait and see if SL-564 is a pure Fla or a F-1/X.

Also check the weight estimator formulas.

25.5 X 25.5 X 22 / 1000 = 14.30 for long fish - not this one

25.5 x 22 x 22 / 800 = 15.43 for stocky fish - like this one

Either the scales are off or the formulas devised over years of testing are off on this one.

My guess is the length/girth measurement provided is wrong not the scales. The fish looks bigger than 13 to me.
Posted By: esshup Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 07:40 PM
Does anybody use downriggers there for trolling deep?
Posted By: Flame Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 09:44 PM
Maybe...He was throwing a Carolina rigged crankbait...I'm just sayin'
Posted By: Shorty Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/03/15 09:54 PM
Fireline, braided line, or lead core line will get a crankbait deeper than standard mono.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/04/15 12:45 PM
30' deep on a crank bait?? I think he was BS ing on what or where in the lake he caught it.

Tracy
Posted By: esshup Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/04/15 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
30' deep on a crank bait?? I think he was BS ing on what or where in the lake he caught it.

Tracy

Aw come 'on, you know fishermen wouldn't do that!!! laugh
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/04/15 08:32 PM
It would be funny if he said he caught this giant fish "right off the main point of San Augustine Park at Lake Sam Rayburn on a yellow with black stripe deep dive river runt".

You'd have 100 boats off that same point this weekend with a bunch of them throwing yellow with black stripe deep dive river runts. crazy

Posted By: Snakebite Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/06/15 09:48 PM
Sharelunker 564 has turned out to be a hybrid cross both N & Fl. The percentage was 6 of 9 were FL %
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 (giant salvinia plant) - 11/25/15 02:48 PM

Invasive giant salvinia plant turns up at Lake Fork in East Texas

Photo/Texas Parks & Wildlife

By DIANA HEIDGERD - The Associated Press

24 November 2015

Officials warn that invasive lake weed giant salvinia threatens Texas ecosystem

Experts say the invasive South American lake plant giant salvinia (Salvinia molesta) has now been found in Lake Fork Reservoir, a popular bass-fishing destination in East Texas. Giant salvinia can pose problems for boaters and irrigation systems.

An invasive plant that can clog boat motors, block sunlight from lakes and affect aquatic life has turned up in another East Texas waterway, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department announced Tuesday.

Confirmation of giant salvinia at Lake Fork Reservoir, 60 miles east of Dallas, has prompted an aggressive effort to remove and kill the fast-growing plants, TPWD spokesman Larry Hodge said. Chemicals are being used on giant salvinia, a floating fern that’s native to Brazil and reproduces by budding. The leaves are about the size of a quarter, sometimes larger, the agency said.

Several boat ramps are closed, and a floating boom warns boaters to stay clear of the Chaney Branch of the reservoir and a nearby cove, totaling about 3 acres.

“We’ve found in infestation like this on other reservoirs in East Texas and have gone in and physically removed the plants, all that we can find,” Hodge said. “If you catch it early sometimes you can get rid of it, at least temporarily.”

Giant salvinia, which can be transported by boats and trailers, was found earlier on Caddo Lake, Toledo Bend Reservoir and Sam Rayburn Reservoir, Hodge said. Some Louisiana lakes also have infestations of giant salvinia, which can form dense mats on water and also hamper fishing.

“We do everything we can within the limits of manpower and budget that we have to work with,” Hodge said. “The problem is that everybody who has a boat is a potential vector.”

Giant salvinia was first identified in the Houston area in 1998, but was later discovered at Toledo Bend, the state’s largest body of water, the TWPD has said. It’s illegal to transport giant salvinia on boat trailers, motors or tanks used on boats for live bait or fish.

Texas Parks & Wildlife officials do not know the source of the infestation at Lake Fork Reservoir, suspecting the plants were likely introduced by a boat trailer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/hea...-east-texas.ece
I am surprised it has not shown up there before now. it seams to be in most of the lakes around here in the area we call the Ark-La-Tex. Caddo lake association is growing weevils that eat it.

Tracy
Originally Posted By: TGW1
.... Caddo lake association is growing weevils that eat it.

Tracy

When I read things like this I always wonder things like can you tell a weevil to eat what you want them to eat? and what will the weevils eat once they finish off the target plant?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/25/15 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Does anybody use downriggers there for trolling deep?

Scott, you'd get shot if you did that down here.

Keith Combs won the 2014 TTBC strolling/long-lining XD10's in very deep water. I don't think they'll hit 30', but they'll get pretty close. He caught 15 LMB that weighed 110 pounds at the Lake Fork TTBC. It was almost impossible to do, but he did it. It was a very impressive thing to see. Also, fishing in 30', and catching that fish at 30' are 2 very different things. The guy that caught the Sharelunker was probably being pretty coy with his answer. I would sure be.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/25/15 10:08 PM
Isn't Caddo Lake ground zero for G Salvinia?
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/26/15 02:24 AM
Caddo has had an extensive Fla LMB stocking program.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Texas Lunkers March 7 - 11/26/15 01:04 PM
Scott, to many flooded forest lakes down here to run down riggers in, most likely never get the DR Ball back to the surface. It is used a lot in lake Texhomma (that does not look rite) smile
Al, you may be wright, I know it is the place where everyone comes together for learning how to deal with it.
ewest, u r so correct about the heave stocking of FL LMB that continues to take place here at Lake Caddo. Several Million of them stocked over the past 10 yrs. I now catch more 2 lb's there. My largest is 10.02 caught in May after the spawn, she could have been an 11 or 12 lb'er in Feb.

Tracy
© Pond Boss Forum