Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup It's time (at least around here) - 05/11/14 04:18 PM
I have a few LMB making beds, and some SMB as well. It's really interesting to see how the two fish pick different areas. I've got a male SMB cleaning off some concrete rubble, and another one cleaning off 8"-10" Riprap.

I'll be yanking the male LMB off of the beds as soon as I get some worms. I want to reduce the reproduction in the pond. I'll leave the SMB alone - who knows, maybe they'll hybridize?

I'll try and get pics before I yank 'em. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: It's time (at least around here) - 05/12/14 11:37 AM
Have the bass just started nesting up there, Scott? I just posted in another thread about how different the southern half of the state must be in regards to the northern half, weather wise.

I've had bass on for two weeks now, and the RES and BG are bedding thick.
Posted By: esshup Re: It's time (at least around here) - 05/12/14 11:49 AM
Yep, just started.

Redbuds just showed up 2 days ago and the fruit trees just started showing blossoms around that time frame too. No BG bedding activity showing here yet.
Posted By: jignpig Re: It's time (at least around here) - 05/13/14 02:00 AM
a hybrid would be so cool. the spawn is unquestionably my favorite fishing of the year. you got 'em building nests. we got fry clouds. definitely wanna see some pix.
Posted By: ewest Re: It's time (at least around here) - 05/13/14 02:13 PM
Full moon in May is often the biggest spawn event of the year for much of the US (south and central) for BG. LMB have spawned in much of the lower US.
© Pond Boss Forum