Pond Boss
Posted By: Slickmullet New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control - 09/15/19 01:28 AM
Need help with erosion control on new dam that is pretty steep. I live in the southeast.
Posted By: Snipe Re: New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control - 09/15/19 04:14 AM
I use straw erosion blankets after seeding grass mixed with something like Oats or Rye that comes quick. These blankets come 8'X 112' for 40-60$-worth every penny.
Netting is used and anything over 3 to 1 slope requires the double net. I use weed barrier fabric stakes to hold in place and water every day with trash pump set up for 3/4" discharge for garden hose.
Posted By: RAH Re: New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control - 09/15/19 03:24 PM
I have a very steep dam that I was not expecting on my 2nd pond... Ended up planting starts of Amur Silver Grass which is sod forming and can be invasive, so I keep it mowed on the dam side. It also grows tall with ornamental seed heads, but mine has never spread by seed. The wall of tall, thick grass also forms a physical barrier which aids in safety. I am in Indiana so this may not work for you. I did this to keep the dam from slumping, even after hiring another company to pull back the grade to make it less steep. Don't know what the first guy was thinking.
Posted By: jludwig Re: New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control - 09/16/19 12:39 PM
Is rip rap an option?
Rip rap may be an option for the spillway and around overflow pipe. Since I am in south AL I may just throw a combination of brown top and rye for now.
© Pond Boss Forum