Pond Boss
Posted By: roundy Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/16/17 02:20 PM
My 2 acre-ish pond is nearing final construction phase. 8" siphon system was installed yesterday, looks great but they stubbed out a 4" vent pipe for the siphon control. It will be reduced down to 2" for the balance of the vent piping. My question is: will the initial 4" piping interfere with the proper operation of the siphon system?

Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/16/17 04:56 PM
Roundy, the short answer is it will function fine.

I would also suggest you stay with the 4" size for strength over a 2" reduction. If your vent whirlpools and breaks the siphon early, a larger pipe is easier to modify and attach a paddle to. Plus, far less chance of an accidental stoppage from debris.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/17/17 03:13 AM
The inlet of the siphon pipe will need a Tee (or stack of large rocks) that prevents a high suction area from forming, or it will plug up quickly. It would be wise to put a cap on the siphon break also, with several 1/4" holes drilled in it so the air break does not pull in sticks that could block the pipe also, or plug the air break.
Posted By: roundy Re: Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/17/17 03:23 PM

This is how it is installed. Cage end on main intake and smaller cage on vent. There is one brace, but I think it needs to be braced much better to reduce vibration and protect piping. They made it all out of 4" pvc.
Posted By: roundy Re: Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/17/17 03:26 PM
Also seen this in one of my photos when reviewing. laugh
Posted By: roundy Re: Siphon system - 4" vent stub out - 08/17/17 03:30 PM
Overview of pond project

© Pond Boss Forum