Pond Boss
Posted By: Poormanspond Tiered grow beds on backside of dam - 06/10/16 03:34 PM
Hello,

I am purchasing a home on a 4.5 acre neighborhood pond. Part of my property extends up onto the side/back of the dam. Most of the dam is currently covered in weeds/grass..my part is mostly 1-2 foot high weeds/brush.

Now I would like to utilize this part of the dam for a vegetable garden (great sun). Would mowing the weeds/grass on the dam and placing tiered beds of soil on the slope create any sort of structural problem for the dam? I wouldn't think so?

The pond appears to be spring fed...looking back 50+ years of images and its water level has never changed.

Thanks abunch!

Daniel
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Tiered grow beds on backside of dam - 06/10/16 04:12 PM
You don't want any erosion to happen on the dam, no matter what part it is. You don't want trees to grow there either. Having said that, you will probably make others nervous about digging and removing the grass which binds the soil together and prevents erosion. Even if I knew you were the best gardener and responsible person in the world, it still makes me nervous. I could see it working, just better be thought out and very carefull.

Is you house downside of the dam? If it is, that's another reason to make sure it is done right. Do you have access to the pond and the right to use it?

How about raised beds, not the typical kind, but where they would be like trays above the slope with only legs disturbing the dam? Keep the grass growing underneath them.
Posted By: Diver Cody Re: Tiered grow beds on backside of dam - 06/10/16 04:47 PM
As long as you don't cut the tier's into the soil but instead add it on top of the existing dam wall. I fail to see how it could cause a huge issue. Wouldn't it be in a round about way strengthening it?

Keep in mind I am not an engineer but when in doubt you could always ask Mr.Otto. His add can be found in the Pond Boss magazine and I believe on this website somewhere as well.

If you disturb the dam wall that someone worked hard to compact and sculpt...then I see horrible things possibly happening.
Posted By: Poormanspond Re: Tiered grow beds on backside of dam - 06/10/16 05:24 PM
I would not dig up anything and would add the tiers on top of the ground...although the grass underneath would die if I place soil in the grow beds. I do not think it would contribute to erosion though since something will be in place of the grass and no other grass would be disturbed above or below the beds.

Of course I am a long time from actually doing this and will thoroughly research it before I do anything. My house is to the side of the dam but there are houses below and I would never do anything to compromise the structure of the dam and put people at risk.

A corner of the property is on the water and I will have access to it. I do not think anyone is actively managing the pond and I hope to get the ball rolling on that as well.

© Pond Boss Forum