Pond Boss
Posted By: Tobster Siphon paranoia - 10/19/15 05:14 PM
I have a newly constructed 3 acre pond in central MS and have an 8 inch siphon drain. The pond is about 1/2 full now and there was quite a bit of sediment washing into the pond from rains before I could get grass established. My concern (or paranoia) is that the intake portion of the drain pipe at the bottom of the pond might be covered with silt...seems like that could cause a major problem if so.

Am I just being paranoid, or is this a legitimate concern? If it is...what can I do about it?

Thanks
Posted By: esshup Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/20/15 11:40 AM
How far off the bottom of the pond was the end of the siphon pipe when it was installed?
Posted By: Tobster Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/21/15 06:57 AM
I can't remember for certain, but believe it was directly on the bottom. I will ask my builder to confirm
Posted By: RER Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/21/15 11:53 AM
maybe it will suck some of the silt out for you..
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/22/15 03:51 PM
Tobster, silt and muck will not clog the intake. Even a couple feet of silt is not going to compact. It is going to be sucked out...another one of the benefits of a bottom draw siphon. Even if flow was restricted badly, ANY flow through the debris/silt will quickly erode and full flow start.
Posted By: Tobster Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/25/15 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies...Now I can watch the pond fill up without worry
Posted By: Tobster Re: Siphon paranoia - 10/26/15 12:01 PM
Wow! I'm in central MS and after months of drought, we are getting massive amounts of rain...may get to test the siphon system and emergency spillway sooner than expected
© Pond Boss Forum