Pond Boss
Posted By: 1974cj5 New pond in Alabama. - 12/21/14 01:55 AM
Hopefully will be done in the next week or so depending on weather.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/21/14 02:32 AM
1974....Hmmmm. Year born, year of high school graduation, year of college graduation, year you drank your first beer, year you got your first kiss, year you caught your first fish.....?
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/21/14 02:55 AM
Year of a Jeep CJ5 I had. Haha Hence the name 1974cj5
Posted By: RER Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/21/14 02:56 AM
Nice pond, what's goingnin it?
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/21/14 03:35 PM
It will be a while but probably Brim and LMB.
Posted By: CrazyJu Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/22/14 05:49 PM
What size?
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/24/14 10:03 PM
Bout an acre to a acre in half. We have had some crazy rain and it has filled in a good bit.
Posted By: snrub Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/25/14 02:05 AM
Congratulations. Nice pond and the area surrounding it.
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 12/25/14 09:47 PM
Thanks. Got to plant some rye grass seed.
Posted By: Flame Re: New pond in Alabama. - 01/01/15 07:45 PM
Just planted 100 lbs of rye around my 2 acre we completed November 1st.seeds sprouted in one week and turned green in two weeks.
Posted By: Zep Re: New pond in Alabama. - 01/02/15 02:34 AM
Rye Rules!....in the city and in the country.

I'm the only one on my block in town with a nice green winter lawn.
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 01/02/15 02:35 AM
Well the plan was to get some rye seed planted this week but it didn't happen.I had to go and open up the valve and the water was pretty cold. Had to open it up so i could dig my holes for the kids( and mine ) fun dock.I ended up getting pneumonia from it. Not to smart of a move not again. Hopefully I will get rye out sometime next week.
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 01/23/15 10:27 PM
Well I got the pond mostly drained. Got my post set for the dock.Not fun digging those holes with post hole diggers.

Posted By: Bob-O Re: New pond in Alabama. - 01/24/15 12:32 AM
Congrats on the pond. Be real careful about recoverin from the pneumonia, had it twice and it put the hurt on me pretty bad. Times to be macho, times to be smart. Ya wanna have lungs strong enough to swim awhile with the kids.
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 03:01 AM
Coming along.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 06:56 AM
Looking good. When I had a lot of holes to dig, I bought a $300 County Line auger from TSC. Great investment for the land owner IMO.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 12:38 PM
As a boy, I once helped Grandpa Livingston set a few posts. I distinctly remember him telling me that one man, working by himself, should be able to dig and set 50 posts in a day's time, by hand.

He's long gone now, but even all these years later I still wonder if the ground was softer back then, the men were tougher, or the days were longer. I now own his old pair of post hole diggers, still use em' on occasion, but cannot come close to getting that kind of productivity out of those old knuckle busters.

Everytime I put them to work I think he must be looking down, laughing.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 12:54 PM
Growing up, we dug them all by hand. My dad figured 3 holes per hour was the right pace. When it came time to set the posts, his rule was if you don't need an extra shovel full of dirt then you didn't tamp it good enough.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
When it came time to set the posts, his rule was if you don't need an extra shovel full of dirt then you didn't tamp it good enough.

Wow, that sounds familiar. There was none of that one-handed tamping going on around our place, either. We talk here on the forum about compacting the dirt for our ponds in "lifts", well, setting posts followed that same practice at our place.
Posted By: esshup Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt
Looking good. When I had a lot of holes to dig, I bought a $300 County Line auger from TSC. Great investment for the land owner IMO.

That was a heck of a deal! They want $479 without the auger here.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-post-hole-digger
Posted By: ewest Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 08:36 PM
Nice work - and a lot of it.
Posted By: 1974cj5 Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 09:08 PM
Yeah of course as soon as I finished with digging the holes and setting the post I had a guy I work with tell me he had a auger. Just my luck. Oh well it builds character I guess. Plus I will be able to remind my daughters each time we walk out on the dock. Haha
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt

That was a heck of a deal! They want $479 without the auger here.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-post-hole-digger

FWIW IMHO There's always the Rental places if you don't think you are going to be needing a lot of drilling in the future. I am guessing you could rent one for around $50/day. ....Storage space for me is a premium and owning a gas auger would just take up space and be one more motor I need to maintain.
Posted By: esshup Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 09:29 PM
I may have to look harder. No 3-point augers for rent nor stump grinders.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I may have to look harder. No 3-point augers for rent nor stump grinders.

Sorry, augers here I've seen are one man and two man with motor on top. I have not seen one with a 3 point hitch that is PTO driven for rent. Never looked for a stump grinder but my neighbor rented one somewhere last fall. From the description it was a self propelled unit, so again, no 3 point hitch.
Posted By: esshup Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 09:47 PM
Correct, the stump grinder that I need is a self-propelled/contained unit, not a 3-point one.

IF the state ever gets Arborvitae trees back in inventory, I need to plant around 200 of them. It would be a LOT easier to plant when the holes are dug with a 3-point auger vs. lugging around a gas powered unit. I'll probably have to re-do some fencing too, so I'll probably be purchasing a 6" and a 12" auger for it.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New pond in Alabama. - 02/04/15 10:03 PM
There are a lot of rental stores around here and it is pretty amazing to me what you can rent if you find the right store. I was shocked to see I could rent one of those small Kubota back hoes at Home Depot!

My buddy has a Bobcat and the Bobcat dealer here rents a bunch of accessories for it. He has shown up at my place with a harley rake and a trencher rented from there.
© Pond Boss Forum