Pond Boss
Posted By: TN Mike Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 03:02 AM
I will probably end up with either a 6 or 8 inch system for my 1/4 acre pond which is fed by around 10 acres of hilly area. My pond will be in the woods.

My concern is the screen on the inlet of a siphon system. I spoke with the get at the plumbing place and he never heard of any clogs. Just wanted to double check with members here for any additional possible feedback. Thanks.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mike.

One of the easiest ways to prevent a clog is to build a rock pile around the siphon inlet.

Will your inlet have a "screen" or more of a "cage"? Meaning will you be blocking even small debris/leaves, or only items so large they would get trapped?
Posted By: TN Mike Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 04:08 PM
The inlet has a screen type gizmo. This seller calls it a trash guard, but it looks similar to what other sellers also show on their siphon systems. It would be mounted a foot or 2 above pond bottom but after years of use, it just seems like it would clog easily. When I asked about not using the concern was maybe a turtle or something to get up there and clog it?

[img:center]http://www.easywayplastics.com/page/page/1495304.htm[/img]

Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 04:55 PM
That would clog with leave/algae pretty quickly under full siphon mode. I'd suggest something much more open that will allow softer/ flexible debris like leaves and plants flow through and only block out larger sticks....or as I'd said earlier, build a moderate size rock pile over and around the inlet out of large 10"+ rock.

I'd suggest a trash guard more like this one over what you'd linked....
Posted By: TN Mike Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 05:34 PM
Rainman that is probably exactly what I am looking for. Have a source? Thanks.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 11:23 PM
Try pond dam piping and click on accessories.
Posted By: TN Mike Re: Siphon System Clog? - 12/13/14 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Try pond dam piping and click on accessories.
Thanks. That was too easy.
© Pond Boss Forum