Pond Boss
Posted By: windjammer Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/12/14 08:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here, but wasn't able to find an answer to this question from a forum search, so here goes...

I recently got access to an old impoundment that was drained years ago. We have fixed the levees, but the impoundment still drains through a 12 inch pipe. Due to overgrowth and sediment buildup, it is extremely difficult to reach this drainpipe on the wet side to install any sort of standpipe... So my question is this. Would there be a way to install a standpipe on the outflow side of the drain pipe? It would be much easier to work with on that side, but of course I am worried about water building up and ultimately pushing the standpipe off...

In a nutshell, is there a way to secure a standpipe to the outflow side of a drain pipe, without fear of it popping off? Thanks!
Posted By: RAH Re: Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/12/14 09:20 PM
Would this work?

http://www.agridrain.com/WLCS%202%20pg%20web%20sheet.pdf
Posted By: Lynyrd Re: Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/15/14 09:53 PM
What is the 12 inch drain pipe made out of? Steel, PVC? What kind of condition is it in? Is it currently carrying water?
RAH, that would indeed work, but currently the landowner may (or may not) be changing. I plan to wait until I know for sure before investing substantial sums of money in the setup...

Lynyrd, it appears to be PVC. It does currently drain the creek/ has flow running through it. As far as I can tell there are no other areas where the impoundment is losing water. i.e. thats the only placenthat I need to partially block.
Posted By: Lynyrd Re: Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/16/14 06:44 PM
If it's PVC and you want to add a stand pipe, and you can't get to the inflow side, you'll probably have to deal with water while you glue it. Never used this stuff, but it might work.

http://www.e-zweld.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=MTA1Nw==
Thanks for the reply! I will probably go ahead and give that a shot... If the force of the water backed up behind it still pops the standpipe off after gluing, back to the drawing board... But that seems like a great start
Posted By: RAH Re: Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/18/14 04:11 PM
I am guessing that ice in the pipe is not a problem in your area.
Posted By: snrub Re: Standpipe on outflow side of drain?... - 09/18/14 04:21 PM
One other thought. You said you have repaired the levees. Would it be possible to put in a new overflow pipe in another area of the impoundment, then cap the old pipe? Might be easier to eliminate the old problem altogether and work with a new overflow pipe.
© Pond Boss Forum