Pond Boss
Posted By: mattyg06 Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 03:47 AM
Our family has a piece of land in Cisco,Tx and over the last few week with the large storm that oddly swept in from the east in the middle of July dumped 10+" as verified by our neighbor. We were very exited to see the tank fill up for the first time since we have had the property over 5+ years. We stocked some LMB March 2012 and earlier this summer we had been catching 2.5+ lbs regularly. At that point we had about 2 surface acres of water. The tank was initially bone dry with small hole in the top of the damn that was what we thought was fixed by a local dozer guy, but were wrong. We have a watershed of what I think is about 100 acres and when we went to see the full tank we saw a 3 ft gouge out of road leading to the dam and an completely blown through dam.

We've had a couple of bids to fix it but the estimates vary from zero loads of dirt needed to over 100 loads of dirt needed with no good way of telling.

We know at one point the original owners flooded the front pastures as irrigation so they had the ability to release water which I know we never inquired about.

After reading this forum it sounds like Mike Otto is a guy we will get in touch with soon or if anyone was near Cisco that is reputable pond builder.

I know this post is rambling but it is hard to talk about it because it is gives me a sickening feeling.

Attached picture IMG_1299.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1300.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 04:00 AM
That's terrible! I agree, give Otto a call, you can't go wrong.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 04:15 AM
We had something similar happen during our "100 year" flood 3 years ago. It's amazing what water and gravity can accomplish when it comes to moving dirt!
Feel for you, m06, but make the best of it, get Otto to look, maximize pond size/contours/overflow protection.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 10:08 AM
My condolences; that's awful. When rebuilt, install a siphon drain. 100 acres is a lot of runoff area. I wouldn't expect another 10 inch flood. Cisco is usually hurting for rain.
Posted By: brook wilson Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 02:14 PM
So sorry.
Posted By: mattyg06 Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 03:18 PM
Dave, I agree about that not happening often, but with climate change we are obviously getting different weather patterns that we are used to. Like I said the tank was 100% bone dry when we bought the property a few years ago but in the last year we have had summer floods that all the locals can't remember the last time they have had any summer floods let alone 2 consecutive years.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 04:15 PM
My place is just north of Cisco about 10 miles. I do know a guy there that did the renovation on my pond a few years ago. I haven't talked to him lately but I did hear he had retired. You might have already talked to him. I haven't talked with Mike Otto but from what I hear, he's the one you need. Let me know if you want to talk to my guy.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 07:00 PM
Can't think of a better word than you used: sickening!
Posted By: mattyg06 Re: Its a SAD day - 07/25/13 07:08 PM
Cisco we would love to hear from your guy especially since is very local to the area.

I added a few more pictures. The red spot shows the location of the breach. That area photo was taken a few months ago and that was the pool level before the flood about 3 acres. When the rain hit we know for a few atleast a few hours it was totally filled to the full level which would have 25' deep and 11 acres.

Attached picture breach3.JPG
Attached picture dam1.JPG
Attached picture full level.JPG
© Pond Boss Forum