Pond Boss
Posted By: Ed in Gettysburg Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/09/10 04:09 AM
Hello all! I am back after about 2 years, trying to get back to my small (slightly less than) 1/2 pond here in Gettysburg, PA. I want to install a concrete dam on the outlet of my pond where the earth has eroded away. The dam would not need to be any higher than 8 feet nor any wider than 8 feet. Currently I have a 10 inch dia overflow pipe that runs under the burm and out into the creek. This is too small to handle the flow when we get a lot of rain; consequently, erosion continues to take place. I want to put a pond drain into the concrete dam and also a larger overflow pipe to handle the excess water. Are there any plans or specs that would help me properly design and build the concrete dam. I have poked around on the forum but have not read anything that meets my need. Thank you.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/09/10 01:51 PM
Hello Ed, thanks for joining in and posting! Hang on for some expert feedback.
Posted By: andedammen Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/09/10 04:24 PM
http://www.water.ca.gov/damsafety/docs/GuidelinesSmallDams.pdf
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/09/10 06:47 PM
Ed post pic's of the pond and drainage issues, it will help us help you.
i dont know how much help this is to you, but ours works good. it was formed in concrete w/ 20' rr bridge timbers on top. before renovation it had a bad undermine on the outflow/back side, and i covered the aging bridge timbers with rebarred concrete set in deep footings.

looks like this:

before renovation
back side

after renovation
back side

front side

may give you some ideas anyways.
Posted By: Ed in Gettysburg Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/10/10 03:17 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the great feedback and encouragement. We are currently under about 2 feet of snow and we have another foot or so coming down now, so it may be a while before I can take some photos to give you a better understanding of what I want to do. Thanks again.
Posted By: andedammen Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/10/10 05:20 PM
This might be handy wilst planing/reading/discusing your project, helps me a lot to overcome obsticales or consume/understand plans drawings and explenations.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/water_pdf/swdmglossary.pdf
Posted By: otto Re: Building a concrete dam/weir - 02/11/10 04:23 PM
Dave
Great pictures and great work. Spillways that wash out are a constant problem. It looks like you fixed yours for good.
© Pond Boss Forum