Pond Boss
Posted By: IndianPaintbrush USDA/NCRS Master Document for Dams! - 05/12/08 06:44 PM
In answer to the question on another thread, the NCRS dam book is very comprehensive and provides research answers, in a READABLE manner for most of the questions we have here. As it is copyrighted, I cannot re-distribute, but look for:

Agriculture Handbook 590
Ponds -- Planning, Design, Construction.
http://www.in.nrcs.usda.gov/pdf%20files/PONDS.PDF

Available from your local DoA/NCRS guy/gal and of course on the internet as pdf.

lots of color charts, maps, graphics, isoclines, tables, and cross references.
also,large sections on:
a) what NOT to do when building, my dam builder had the book but definitely did not bother to read.
b) what to do to fix leaks (with details)
Posted By: Brettski Re: USDA/NCRS Master Document for Dams! - 05/12/08 07:05 PM
Thanks, IPB...
The only online copy that I could find a couple of years back was this link in the Archives section . Theo embedded it with the rest of the important stuff.
I'm glad you brought it back up...it really is a great base source of info. (the archives might need archives...?)
-
thanks again
FYI:
NOT out of print. Still being handed out by NCRS local agents.
but the PDF is easy to download.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: USDA/NCRS Master Document for Dams! - 05/15/08 02:07 AM
That is a great book for technical information plus lots of common sense stuff.
Our book, "Perfect Pond, Want One?" is a good compliment to it, too. The 590 Handbook provides good engineering data as well as practical information about building dams.
Perfect Pond is mostly anecdotal and also spends time telling people what not to do through true stories.
Glad you posted how to find the 590 book. In our office, we make copies to pass on to people.
© Pond Boss Forum