Pond Boss
Posted By: Tbar Strange...... - 03/14/20 09:06 PM
Was checking on my CNBG today so I manually triggered the TH feeder then threw a line in with a red worm on it.
I caught 6 huge CNBG but I also caught 3 Juvenal BC one of which was a black nose.

So my question is were the BC coming to the feed or have the acquired a taste for worms?

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Strange...... - 03/14/20 11:58 PM
T they will eat worms for sure. Think the excitement of fish feeding brings the crappie in for a look then they spot the worm.... bout half of the BCP have the black stripes that I used to catch.... now it seems BG and LMB only
Posted By: Tbar Re: Strange...... - 03/15/20 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
T they will eat worms for sure. Think the excitement of fish feeding brings the crappie in for a look then they spot the worm.... bout half of the BCP have the black stripes that I used to catch.... now it seems BG and LMB only

Thanks for the info Pat. I wasn’t aware worms were part of the crappie’s menu.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Strange...... - 03/15/20 04:08 AM
When they get excited, fish will eat almost anything. Kinda like what I observed people buying at Wal-Mart at the frenzy yesterday.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Strange...... - 03/15/20 11:00 AM
I think worms are the go to bait for any fresh water fish. I would bet even grass cap will eat a worm.
Posted By: northcooper Re: Strange...... - 03/16/20 02:48 PM
That is a hybrid crappie which grow bigger and are much more aggressive.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Strange...... - 03/16/20 11:14 PM
Stripe does not indicate a hybrid ..... it comes from Arkansas
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Strange...... - 03/17/20 12:13 PM
Over the years I have caught many striped crappie in public lakes and rivers here in the Ark-La-Tex. I believe my largest Crappie have come with a stripe.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Strange...... - 03/17/20 02:29 PM
Yeah Tracy that’s the way it was in my pond .... when I had crappie...... about half are the striped variant. May have to eat all the bass now instead of relocating them.... no telling how long the pandemic will hold on.... ugh
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Strange...... - 03/18/20 02:39 AM
I've also caught lots of crappie here in NW Arkansas with a stripe like that.
Posted By: Acoursey Re: Strange...... - 03/18/20 12:07 PM
That black stripe occurs in about 5% of the population of black crappie. It does not occur in white crappie. It is a recessive gene, and you can actually increase the percentage of crappie with a stripe in a waterbody by releasing the striped ones and keeping the others.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Strange...... - 03/20/20 02:05 PM
the largest seem to be the ones with the stripe. Hard to throw those back when fishing public waters lol
© Pond Boss Forum