Pond Boss
Posted By: RandyA Help with ID please - 03/10/20 01:54 PM
Hi guys new member here and wanted to get a id on a fish. Little background 1.8 acre pond that was stocked 3 years ago with coppernose bluegille and shellcrackers then 6 months later with largemouth. Went down the other day and caught just a few. All were very nice by my exspectations but this one was really nice and very thick. Is it a blue gill a cracker or a cross? Thank you so much for the help.

Attached picture BREAM 3 (2).jpg
Attached picture BREAM 2 (2).jpg
Posted By: Snipe Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 02:37 PM
I'm going to say that is a green sunfish X BG cross, and a BEAST! Mouth size says greenie to me..
See what others think, as I don't seen the yellowish fin tips I would expect from a GSF cross but mouth sure looks big, man that's a brute..
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 05:01 PM
Ty Snipe for the info. When you say cross does that mean it was a cross when put in as fingerlings? If not that, in a 3 year period could it have crossed then still grown to that size? I always said if I ever caught a "bream" that size it was going on the wall but alas I put it back. Maybe it will continue to pack on the weight. I really wish I would have had a scale.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 05:37 PM
Here's one of RandyA's pics:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sunil Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 05:38 PM
Here's the second pic:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sunil Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 05:38 PM
Welcome to Pond Boss!!
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/10/20 05:49 PM
TY for doing that Sunil I tried to do the img thing but all I got was an x.
Posted By: ewest Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 02:13 AM
Looks like a HBG. Where did you get your fish ? It resembles the GG first generation.
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 12:05 PM
Hi Ewest, I got my fish order thru Foster Lake and Pond Management near Raleigh NC. The funny thing is I didn't order any hbg when I stocked. However I have caught a few that look like that. Ive also caught some beautiful cnbg but not that size. GG= the infamous Georgia Giant?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 06:31 PM
Looks exactly like the one I caught out of my pond a couple days ago. Mine was not that big! Yours is just like my HBG that where stocked a couple years ago. They are sporting winter colors now, but should brighten up tremndoulsy as the water warms. My pond stays pretty muddy, but they still get pretty vibrant in the summer.

I'll post a pic of mine as soon as I can find MY list of threads...I'm not used to this new format yet.
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 07:15 PM
That would be great if you could post a pic or 3...I'm glad to hear they get prettier I was wondering why they seemed kind of bland looking right now.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 07:30 PM
Here's a few pics from last summer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/12/20 08:02 PM
Wow those are pretty, The color difference is amazing. I'm looking forward to catching one after they color up some. If I can catch one that I can verify over 2lb and colored up it may go on the wall. That's been a dream for a long time. I might should have kept that one but I just slid it back into the water after the pics. I wish there was a way to figure approx. weight but with out full measurements I guess their is not. If any one here knows a formula my middle finger is 3 3/4 inches long from tip to the bottom of web between the fingers.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Help with ID please - 03/13/20 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by RandyA
That would be great if you could post a pic or 3...I'm glad to hear they get prettier I was wondering why they seemed kind of bland looking right now.

If your water is not clear then the fishes colors does not show very good, I have put them in a dark bucket and in a bit they will color up some
Posted By: RandyA Re: Help with ID please - 03/13/20 08:33 PM
That's a great bit of info! Thank you for the tip.
© Pond Boss Forum