Pond Boss
Posted By: Waterman74 Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 12:52 AM
Hello, my son caught this in our pond in central Florida... I'm thinking bluegill/warmouth cross?

Attached picture IMG955117.jpg
Attached picture IMG955116(1).jpg
Posted By: Joey Quarry Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 02:24 AM
That is a "Canardly". Can hardly tell what it is!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 02:30 AM
Those pics are great of your son but not so good to ID fish. Can't really see specifics to identify. Next time lay the fish down and get right up on it.
Posted By: Waterman74 Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 02:48 AM
Ok will do.. Second time he's caught one like that.... Wife took the picture.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 02:50 AM
The lateral line on that suggests something similar to crappie-which I'm pretty sure it's not. Bill C. is pretty good at ID, I'll bet he'll have a good idea.

There was another fish similar to this in the SE region that I thought had a crappie look to it that Bill ID'd.. I think it's the same but I can't find that thread..
Posted By: Snipe Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 04:13 AM
Here's what I was looking for..
This was from a prior post of Bill Cody's.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/bream/flier

I still hope Bill see's this because it's similar, yet there are some differences. And just something there looks like part "crappie" but unlikely.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 11:18 AM
I can't tell what your sons fish was but after looking at Snipes post I am leaning toward a warmouth/goggleye. And a one pound 12 oz BAMA state record Warmouth is hugh! Along with it being one of my favorite to eat. The fish taste sweet meat to me.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Fish I'd please - 06/17/19 12:14 PM
TGW1... what are you calling a goggleye? In this neck of the woods Warmouth, GSF and Goggleye are the same critter. I guess it's because of the same body style, large mouth and big eyes. Until I built a pond, I had no idea they were two different species. I have both in my pond and some BG crosses with both and none of them look like the posted pick.
Posted By: Waterman74 Re: Fish I'd please - 06/18/19 03:39 AM
Well it certainly looks like a flier.. And maybe close to a record? See link below.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2015/05/22/woman-catches-record-flier-fish/
© Pond Boss Forum