Pond Boss
Posted By: canyoncreek New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/03/18 01:57 PM
I'm guessing many of you have caught one this big or bigger in your pond? Post your results here if you have! MI records only go by weight and not by length, so I guess you will have to weight your new personal pond record!

And then please tell me what this is? They call it a hybrid sunfish, but is it not a hybrid bluegill? Or does it have some pumpkinseed in it?

New MI Record HBG

I'll attach a blown up picture to see if this helps in the ID.

Attached picture Hybrid something record in MI.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/03/18 03:51 PM
Looks like a HBG.
Posted By: jludwig Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/03/18 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Looks like a HBG.

My thoughts also.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/03/18 07:06 PM
We'll have to let the media know that this was a record bluegill and not a record sunfish smile
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/03/18 07:39 PM
Must be harder to grow big hybrid bluegills in the whole state of Michigan than in my 1/2 acre pond.

(Ohio natives: mentally insert your favorite Michigan joke here.)
Posted By: Sunil Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/04/18 03:29 PM
Theocity, this thread got a rise out of you???
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/04/18 04:19 PM
Nahh, I'm from Ahia and gradjeeated from THEE Ahia State Yuniversiy, so I'm supposed to hate all thing Meechigan. (For the record, I don't. Just Jim Harbaugh.)
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/04/18 05:04 PM
Theo, do have similar HBG in your pond? I'd love to hear!

Why is it that public waters struggle to grow big fish? Overfishing? lack of supply in a 'natural' lake? Lake of proper fish management by the DNR/DEQ in public waters?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/04/18 06:12 PM
I've got BGxRES hybrids, F1's and their descendant Fx's. We've caught 6 in the last 15 months that eeked out a little better than the above mentioned MI record.

Here's the biggest, from not quite a year ago:

Posted By: jpsdad Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 10/04/18 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

Why is it that public waters struggle to grow big fish? Overfishing? lack of supply in a 'natural' lake? Lake of proper fish management by the DNR/DEQ in public waters?

Public waters are where you catch monster Stripers, Flatheads, Blue Cats, Pike, and Muskellenge. Their presence hurts LMB numbers and some folks do overharvest LMB. Lack of LMB will stunt a bluegill population and once it gets stunted ... its expensive to fix the problem in a large impoundment. In some cases it can't be fixed.

Theo, some great fish.

Everyone here has their own great fishing hole and can manage it for the fish they like. But I can tell you that some good public BOWs for BG do exist when LMB are in sufficient supply and other predators are not present. The best places to fish are small impoundments and those that are good have been well cared for by local fishermen. I know I have caught and released HBG large enough to be a Texas state record. I'd rather have the honey hole than the recognition.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 06/12/19 03:08 PM
Question about fish ID for the experts. My uncle caught these in a lake around an hour south of where I live near Grand Rapids, MI. They look like pumpkinseed but are they hybrids? They have red ear tabs, but also have blue mottled cheeks. I'll try to see if I can edit and zoom in a bit first.

OK, pictures are inline.

Attached picture Hybrid 1.jpg
Attached picture hybrid 2.jpg
Attached picture Hybrid 3.JPG
Attached picture hybrid 4.JPG
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 06/12/19 06:48 PM
Looks like a PS/BG hybrid? Beautiful fish!
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 06/13/19 03:21 AM
Thanks TJ, I was not seeing pure pumpkinseed and wondered if they were hybrids of some type. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 06/13/19 07:15 PM
Agree with TJ - hybrid pumpkinseeds.
Posted By: ewest Re: New Michigan 'hybrid sunfish' record - 06/14/19 01:09 AM
PS X BG is a very common cross especially in more northern waters. I would agree that those look like BG x PS.

See this thread for great pics.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=99961&page=1
© Pond Boss Forum