Pond Boss
Posted By: tallryan610 Big One for Me - 08/09/18 02:28 PM
Caught a 3' 6oz LMB this morning. We have owned the property almost exactly a year now. Pond had no cover at all when we got, I have added at least a dozen structures and have worked really hard and getting the BG population high and providing ability for them to let their fry survive some. Last season we never caught a bass bigger than a pound, this year we have gotten a 2lber and this morning's beauty.

Should I be this happy to be seeing results? :-)

Attached picture LMB 3-6.JPG
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Big One for Me - 08/09/18 02:54 PM
It's good to hear that your pond is producing some sizable fish. He looks good, maybe a little hungry. Keep working on your BG populations and those 1 pounders will be next on the scales pushing two pounds.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big One for Me - 08/09/18 03:17 PM
Keep on boosting the forage base, and he'll get bigger and fatter!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Big One for Me - 08/09/18 03:26 PM
Do you have a guess as to the fish's age? Ample forage in all sizes is the key to LMB success.
Posted By: tallryan610 Re: Big One for Me - 08/09/18 09:30 PM
I have no idea how to tell age. I do notice all sizes of BG in the pond, lots a crayfish, and 10s of thousands of tadpoles all over the bank for forage now which I never noticed last year.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Big One for Me - 08/09/18 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: tallryan610

Should I be this happy to be seeing results? :-)

The day you don't get happy about results is the day you need to quit!! Congrats!
Posted By: tallryan610 Re: Big One for Me - 08/28/18 07:50 PM
5 year caught his first "big bass" which was really cool, it jumped several times as he brought it in. This one was really fat.

I will say it is getting harder to catch BG, I feed them 1 or 2 a times a day and even though the water can looking like its boiling when pellets are in there, its hard to catch one. Any ideas of what I should try? We typically use live worms

Attached picture nick 2lb.JPG
Posted By: anthropic Re: Big One for Me - 08/28/18 08:16 PM
Great to see a fishy grin on the face of a child!

You might try a food pellet imitator on the BG, like a stubby steve.
Posted By: tallryan610 Re: Big One for Me - 08/28/18 09:08 PM
stubby steve? never heard of it
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Big One for Me - 08/29/18 11:22 AM
That's all I use for BG.
© Pond Boss Forum