Pond Boss
Posted By: airborne3118 Tilapia - 10/05/17 03:55 AM
I raised some tilapia for a buddy and myself last year. He invited me out to try and catch a few before it gets cold. We did OK.

Attached picture 20171003_202206-ConvertImage.jpg
Attached picture 20171003_185731-ConvertImage.jpg
Posted By: Caviler03 Re: Tilapia - 10/05/17 10:32 AM
Nice! What did you use to catch them? We put some in our pond this past April but I think the bass might have eaten them all because we've seen no signs of them.
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: Tilapia - 10/06/17 06:02 AM
We kind of tricked them actually. We used the little Power Bait Crappie bites under a bobber just about 3 or 4 inches. Then we threw a small handful of pellets around our bobbers. The bites looked very similar to the pellets and worked wonderfully.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Tilapia - 11/06/17 04:50 PM
This time of year makes me remember my tilapia grouped in the SW corner of the pond with their head straight up at the surface trying to get the last remaining sunbeams. I haven't stocked them the last 2 seasons and kind of miss them.

Anyone in northern ponds noting tilapia slowing down yet?

Any reliable way to harvest them when they are a bit sluggish?

Airborne how are yours doing?
Posted By: gklop Re: Tilapia - 11/06/17 07:26 PM
Yep, I walked around the pond this weekend and scooped up about 50 lbs with a long handle net. They were moving very slow.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Tilapia - 11/06/17 08:40 PM
Nice Gklop! Fresh tilapia filets for supper!!!
Posted By: Reno403 Re: Tilapia - 11/06/17 11:55 PM

Anyone in northern ponds noting tilapia slowing down yet?

The tilapia in my small forage pond are already belly up. I did manage to catch 30 of the approximately 50 I stocked using a beat up fly tipped with a piece of Gulp earthworm that looks like the Optimal that I had been feeding all Summer.

Steve
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Tilapia - 11/11/17 03:25 AM
I have been looking for them for the past week but have not seen any as of today. Water temp is now 52 degrees on the surface,down from 55 just two days ago.

This is the first year I've had enough to try to harvest the larger ones and I'm leaving on a fishing trip sunday a.m.. I hope I can harvest some when I get back!

Throwing out Game Fish Chow seems to attract only my HSB.I have some Gulp earthworm so I might try Reno"s method.
Posted By: snrub Re: Tilapia - 11/11/17 03:48 AM
If you have a cast net you might try that. They might be sluggish enough they could be easily caught by throwing the net out.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tilapia - 11/12/17 12:42 AM
Last week Thursday they were barely hanging on, this week Wed they were all belly up.

The raccoons, turkey vultures, hawks and the rest of the clean up crew are busy pulling them out of the pond and leaving stripped skeletons on shore.
© Pond Boss Forum