Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 01:53 AM
On the ultralight with 6 lb. test, 1/80th oz micro jig (#10 hook), and 1" piece of nightcrawler. grin

Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 02:46 AM
Very nice, Shorty!

That had to be a blast on that tackle! And with that being said, would I be correct that you were targeting RES and got a nice surprise?
Posted By: Shorty Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 11:17 AM
I was targeting RES and large GSH, it was a nice surprise.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 12:13 PM
Shorty,
A few questions. One, do you keep any fish from your pond? Did you keep this SMB?
If not, when would you keep a SMB?
Also, you mentioned you were targeting GSH, why? Just for data collection on size and weight? Do you remove any GSH? I've just always thought of GSH, the same as FHM, just there for the SMB, YP, and HSB to eat..
Nice looking SMB, by the way.. I do like catching them, but mine have only been in about 18 months, and are not that large.
Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: Shorty Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 12:26 PM
I normally don't remove any SMB and this one was released. I am targeting large GSH in the 6-9" size for removal simply because I have a lot of them and they compete with my smaller RES, SMB, and YP for resources, including pellets.

This is a gallon sized zip lock bag, I have a buddy that likes to use large GSH for catfish bait.

Posted By: esshup Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 12:44 PM
Nice SMB Shorty!

I was fishing for BG in the pond with almost the same rig, except lighter line and a white 1" twister tail. 16", 2.25# SMB hit the lure.... It took a while to get it in!
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 01:22 PM
Thanks Shorty. Your comment about targeting GSH, really got me going. Ha.

Thanks again. Sure makes sense.
Posted By: Shorty Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 01:35 PM
Funny thing is that I originally purchased micro jigs to specifically target GSH and then incidentally started catching RES.

grin
Posted By: RC51 Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 08:11 PM
Shorty you have 9 inch GSH? Wow didn't know they got quite that big... Was this one of those woops I did something wrong things or did you put them in your pond on purpose knowing they would get that big?

RC
Posted By: Shorty Re: SMB from tonight - 08/26/16 10:00 PM
No oops, I stocked 3-4 dozen GSH in the 2-3" size range 5-6 months before the SMB and RES went in.

Posted By: JamieE Re: SMB from tonight - 08/27/16 10:19 AM
Great fish Shorty and the SMB isn't too shabby either! Lol
Posted By: xraytrapper Re: SMB from tonight - 08/28/16 10:27 PM
Do you have any problems with the GSH when They get that big? Are they easy to catch and do they put up much of a fight on light tackle? Gonna put them in my pond that's being dug next month. Seems like only bad things I could find were bait stealing and fish feed consumption. Would be nice to cull some out at that size for cut bait.

Great smallmouth also. Looks healthy. Hope mine grow up like that in a few years.
Posted By: Sunil Re: SMB from tonight - 08/30/16 05:33 PM
Nice smallie, Shortay!!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: SMB from tonight - 08/30/16 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
On the ultralight with 6 lb. test, 1/80th oz micro jig (#10 hook), and 1" piece of nightcrawler. grin

Brings a tear to my eye - you're growing them up well!
© Pond Boss Forum