Pond Boss
Posted By: sprkplug Male redears - 06/07/15 09:27 PM
Sight fishing big male RES on the nest. All were photographed and released, and all returned to their nests. Even spent a few minutes photographing urogenital openings, per Shorty's excellent thread on the subject.

Posted By: Shorty Re: Male redears - 06/08/15 10:47 AM
Very nice Tony! I sure wish I could see my male RES on the nest, my water clarity is just not that good.

Were they finnaky getting them to bite?
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Male redears - 06/08/15 12:37 PM
do you mind posting pictures of the bottom sides to help us see how the urogenital apparatus appears?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/08/15 02:48 PM
I'll try and get some more photos posted this evening. Shorty, I had no problem getting them to bite. When sight fishing RES in clear water, I just drop a wriggling worm right into the nest. They cannot resist that movement, and I can watch them pick it up. That lets me get an early, shallow hookset vs waiting for line movement or a tug, in which case they're more liable to take the bait too deeply.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 12:11 AM
Urogenital openings, four different RES. All four have been stationary on nests for a few days now. Eggs are apparent in bottom of nests, 99% sure these are male. Look how skinny they are. Thanks out to Shorty for sharing his excellent documentation.

Posted By: Shorty Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 12:26 AM
Those are great pictures, much better than the ones I have been taking with my phone. If all I had seen were the urogenital opening pictures on those, I would have said "likely males" on every single one of them. wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 01:00 AM
Nice...great observations and excellent work, Shorty. Fingers crossed.
Posted By: ewest Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 07:09 PM
Nice work guys !
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 08:10 PM
what is the red stringy thing in pictures 2 and 4 coming out of one of the openings?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 08:24 PM
Blood? I don't know either.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 08:38 PM
I assume wrong hole for milt and males done with milting anyway?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 08:41 PM
I was thinking insect or grass shrimp antenna, I don't think it is blood.

Give it a tug next time you catch one like that, inquiring minds want to know. grin
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
what is the red stringy thing in pictures 2 and 4 coming out of one of the openings?
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

This is family friendly forum, so I cannot comment beyond remarking that an unfortunate consequence of mixing the noble RES male with a bunch of less than desirable HBG females of questionable character is the occasional incidence of what could delicately be referred to as a "social disease".
Not to worry, Sparkie, it's nothing a shot of penicillin won't fix right up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 09:26 PM
David, all GSF are of questionable character and can give social diseases a good name.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

This is family friendly forum, so I cannot comment beyond remarking that an unfortunate consequence of mixing the noble RES male with a bunch of less than desirable HBG females of questionable character is the occasional incidence of what could delicately be referred to as a "social disease".
Not to worry, Sparkie, it's nothing a shot of penicillin won't fix right up.

Who takes the shot, me or the fish?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/09/15 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

Give it a tug next time you catch one like that, inquiring minds want to know. grin

The things I have to do just to further the forum's collective knowledge.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Male redears - 06/10/15 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

The things I have to do just to further the forum's collective knowledge.

Could be some sort of intestinal parasite too, nematode or round worms? Better wear rubber gloves jut in case. grin
Posted By: Shorty Re: Male redears - 06/10/15 12:49 AM
All jokes aside, after a quick google search it could be an internal parasite called Camallanus.

eek

https://petcoupon.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/fish-medical-guide-diagnosing-symptoms/

Quote:
If you can see a red worm protruding from the anus (vent), your fish has an internal parasite called Camallanus. Internal parasites can come from live food or be transmitted from fish to fish. This roundworm (nematode) is easy to identify because of its tendency to hang out the vent. Nematodes are best treated with fenbendazole, piperazine, or levimasole. Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food contains levimasole.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Male redears - 06/10/15 01:10 AM
Dang Shorty, I think you may have it!

(Well, not literally have it.)
Posted By: esshup Re: Male redears - 06/10/15 02:32 AM
Tony, check your e-mail.
© Pond Boss Forum