Pond Boss
I love this picture so much, I had to revisit it.

Here's a "never before seen" image of our buddy and moderator, Omaha.

Nice one, Yolkie!!!

Fun one of my father from early 2014...

Quarry fish with the ol' Vertex hat.

Bruce, beautiful pictures!

You ever think of yanking a scale from any of the LMB in the 'ol pond to see how old they are? I'll bet you could see a change in the growth rings!
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I love this picture so much...

As do I Bruce. IIFC, that was my first ice fishing catch ever. Pretty cool memory for me.
This fish don't always cooperative for my photo efforts...

Much better effort...

Fun picture.

Did Yolk catch that fabulous example of a HBG also?? wink
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I love this picture so much...

As do I Bruce. IIFC, that was my first ice fishing catch ever. Pretty cool memory for me.

Being out there for your first hardwater experience was memorable for all of us. That was some serious fun.

This could be in a caption contest. "I bought all this gear for this?"

Here's a "never before seen" image of our buddy and moderator, Omaha.

Why am I limboing? Seems like a totally unnecessary thing to be doing.
Wasn't this another first for you too, Al?

Doesn't everybody limbo when they're ice fishing?
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Wasn't this another first for you too, Al?

Yep it was! Lot's of firsts for me over the last 2 years, and it's been a blast.
Yolkie turned me on to this "bucket list" fish. Why don't we stock more of these?

Here's one Yolkie caught!

Bruce must have rediscovered the power button on his laptop! Rejoice!
Those fish are so beautiful, they are borderline ridiculous. How could a fish survive long with those bright colors? Looks like it belongs on a coral reef. Amazing.
I love this picture so much, I had to revisit it.

If the background was an urban brick wall, one could easily replace the bluegill with a sign that says "Will work for food, and may God bless you!"

Sorry Dreamboat, couldn't resist!
Bruce and Yolkie, those are beautiful fish!!!!!
Originally Posted By: esshup

I've always wanted to catch one, and thanks to Pond Boss and Yolk Sac, I got my opportunity!
Originally Posted By: esshup

Ditto!
Longear sunfish are one of the prettiest native fish in North America. There is such variation in their coloration from one drainage to the next, they can almost look like completely different species.
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
...If the background was an urban brick wall, one could easily replace the bluegill with a sign that says "Will work for food, and may God bless you!"

Sorry Dreamboat, couldn't resist!

I do look a tad unkempt in that pic. TJ, with my platinum mane, I'm working on the Thor look right now. My bride says I still have a ways to go.
What is that fish Bruce is holding? Would they make it in Texas ponds?

If they will, I want some.
Longears are a stunning fish. The creeks around here are full of them.
Tony, do you think it's the temp, or water quality that makes them so common in the creeks up there?

Dave, I just checked, and the TX record is 13 oz, and that's the lowest weight record of any of the sunfish family. I think.
I don't know, AL. I just assumed that they were partial to moving water. Many of the creeks we used to catch them in ran through cornfields, so I'm not too sure about water quality. Just guessing, but maybe they are tolerant of less than pristine water conditions?

I've never seen a really big one, most top out around 6" around here.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I don't know, AL. I just assumed that they were partial to moving water. Many of the creeks we used to catch them in ran through cornfields, so I'm not too sure about water quality. Just guessing, but maybe they are tolerant of less than pristine water conditions?

I've never seen a really big one, most top out around 6" around here.

Gotcha, thanks.
Bruce were those longears pond fish and how big of a pond? Were they common or scarce in the pond? We did very much miss your posting.
I have caught them in Batesville Arkansas on the white river. They were in moving water when I caught mine. Just on the other side of a point waiting on stuff to float by. I wish they got bigger they are some good looking fish!!

RC

I wonder what one of those and a RES would look like?
You know you're dealing with a sunfish nut when he comes to Nashville, catches stripers and hybrids to 14lbs, 4lb+ smallies, an 11" female bluegill.......and the only pic he posts is the 5" Longear!!
Say, is that Sunfish Nut, or TOTAL FREAK???
Freak!
Total Freakin' Freak!!

Almost perfect trip, but I made him late for the Grand Ole Opry.
However, I have no regrets, and would [and likely will] brave the stern disapprobation of Condollo Females for the same opportunity again.
Condello females can be harsh and direct!
It was OK that I was late to the grand old Opry because when Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood made their surprise visit it was at the end anyway.
I'm sure wishing I'd gone to Yolkies place to change water! Pretty fish!!!
Here's the picture you've been waiting for! Yolkie with a enormous hybrid striped bass. This was the biggest of the trip, but there were several other fish that were near or at the double digit mark!

Nice one Yolk! Totally worth blowing off Garth and Trisha.
Water looks tropical, beautiful fish and tolerable angler photo.
© Pond Boss Forum