Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 06:04 PM
Video is a little rough, as is the narrative - but it was cold as heck and I was in a hurry.

Don't know how to post videos on a post, so will just provide the link until I learn. Wanted to relate that a cast net is a great tool for collection/sampling. Casting takes a few tries to master, but there are good online demo videos that provide much more detail step by step than this effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKV5yYNyzo8&feature=youtu.be

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 07:32 PM
Dang it, how'd you do that, tech genius? Thanks!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 07:46 PM
Impressive! I wish I could do as well!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 07:51 PM
Hey, I know that guy in the video!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 07:54 PM
I have netted an 18" SMB and 20" HSB before...they prove difficult to extract. Also, the ubiquitous tadpoles are rather a pain to remove - otherwise it's a great way to sample body conditions of BG and also collect YOY BG for bait.
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:07 PM
Pretty cool TJ! Didn't see the net hit the water tho wink

It really takes some practice to get it right where the net is full spread. It's not as easy as one might think. Anything could mess up a cast, but really fun!
Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Dang it, how'd you do that, tech genius? Thanks!

Easy.

In the reply or new post screen, see the blue box that is 5th from the left? (enter a media tag) Click on that and follow the directions. wink (basically just like posting a picture).
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:16 PM
I have stocked half my pond via cast net....
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:19 PM
That was so easy, it's embarrassing.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice

Cast nets are pretty popular for saltwater guys it seems. I learned how to throw on a video from a guide on a Florida boat netting bait for clients. Use 10' nets, much more complicated...I'll stick with 5' net.
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 09:55 PM

Cast nets are pretty popular for saltwater guys it seems. I learned how to throw on a video from a guide on a Florida boat netting bait for clients. Use 10' nets, much more complicated...I'll stick with 5' net.

The larger the net, the more difficult and a bit more to it. Each takes practice. I've made a mess out of tossing them off the North Pier in Grand Haven, MI, and that perfect cast is quite illusive. 70% is doing quite well, but the Joy is the full spread that hit's the water perfect.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Pretty cool TJ! Didn't see the net hit the water tho wink

It really takes some practice to get it right where the net is full spread. It's not as easy as one might think. Anything could mess up a cast, but really fun!

Aw, you can hear it hit the water...sorry, best I could do solo.

Learning curve exists - I ate lead weights a few times before I got it down. Grateful they were plastic coated.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/15/13 11:16 PM
You stud!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 12:12 AM
After watching this awesome exhibition, I think we need an entire thread dedicated to demonstrating super cool, outdoor type skill set vids.
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
After watching this awesome exhibition, I think we need an entire thread dedicated to demonstrating super cool, outdoor type skill set vids.

It's a 5 foot cast net. Smaller than my Kitchen Table whistle
Posted By: gallop Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 02:14 AM
Calusa cast nets has a good video on their website. They also make much better and easier to throw castnets than any walmart special. I have a ten footer for bait, a smaller net with 1 1/2x the weight for mullet, and a shrimping net with webbing sewn in around the perimeter to keep the net open when your in depths > 10. I need to repair my bait net after an unfortunate incident with an oyster bed I thought I was good
Enough to miss.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 03:09 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB

It's a 5 foot cast net. Smaller than my Kitchen Table whistle

I don't care if it's the size of my kitchen skillet....it's still better than I could do, and I would love to improve my technique.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 03:40 AM
I think cast nets are sized by the radius, not the diameter.
Posted By: gallop Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 10:31 AM
Yep
10ft = 20 ft
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 10:55 AM
JKB! Maybe you can also do a demonstration! whistle
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 12:47 PM
I'm just kidding a bit here wink They do take some practice tho, and are quite fun.
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think cast nets are sized by the radius, not the diameter.

Pretty sure mine is by diameter. I bought mine a long time ago. Probably should dig it out and see if there are any issues from being rolled up and stored for many years.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 05:42 PM
I am afraid of my cast net. It has remained steadfastly in it's unopened box now for about 7 years.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 06:18 PM
To this day (25 yrs later), I still remember my rookie-initiation into tossing castnets.
I was standing atop the tower of my "bay scooter" (photo below), out in the far reaches of Laguna Madre Bay, while a new client (my guest) observed with speculative concern from the bow of the boat.
I was on my third or fouth attempt to throw the castnet (indicating that it was now soaked with saltwater and laden with numerous clumps of sargassum-plants). As I executed an awkward half-spin launch from atop the tower, the net temporarily snagged on the tower-railing - altering the net's trajectory and causing the wet tangled webs of nastiness to land upon and completely engulf my client below.
We both froze in stunned silence for several moments: Him, because he was now shrowded by a wet and smelly "ghillie suit", with his drenched cigar dangling (broken) from his mouth - and me, because I thought the creature from boggy creek had snuck aboard my boat.
I don't remember too many other details from that fishing excursion, but I never had any further business dealings with that client.
Go figure...

Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/16/13 09:50 PM
Now that's what I call a calm water only boat!
Posted By: JKB Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 02:21 AM

I think Gilligan and the Skipper would be all over that rig!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 02:38 AM
Catching big catfish for me is not about catching the catfish for but catching the baits with a cast net that catch the catfish.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 05:29 AM
Back when I was stupid and bullet-proof, I once took it out to the Galveston Island jetties in 4'+ swells. Mild concern arose at the bottom of the toughs when eyeball-height water blocked both the fore and aft views, especially with tanker-traffic crusing the channel. I was finally convinced to turn around when two consecutive rogue waves washed across the bow and exited over the stern. For those brief moments, I was a U-boat captain. eek
Fortunately for me, that scooter was very stable and unsinkable - sorta like a fiberglass Titanic.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 11:29 AM
Kelly, when I saw the pic of the boat, immediately I thought of Greg and his little trip.

Did you have things nailed down to the deck so they didn't wash off?
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 02:42 PM
Tackle box was stowed behind/beneath the center console and my rods were in rod-holders. It was many years ago, so I really don't remember losing any gear. If anything did wash overboard, it was of far less immediate concern than the desire to seek calmer waters.
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 11/17/13 02:52 PM
If you rotate your phone sideways it will improve viewing .
The video will then fill the widescreen.
I'm assuming you used your phone to record.
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 01:35 PM
I went out last night to start gathering adult wild shiners for supplemental stocking prior to the spring spawn. I was short on time so I went to a local park and made two tosses of the net. I have learned the culverts that connect two pond with a little moving water are the best place.

1st cast'
I got two dozen shiners 6-9 inches long. Several looked fat in the belly so I am thinking they are developing eggs.

Ill hit it up each night and then head out to the pond Saturday.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 02:09 PM
One of these days I'll figure out how to use a cast net. Nobody uses them around here, and I use it infrequently enough that I keep forgetting the technique. I have a 5' one from Wally World.
Posted By: snrub Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 03:02 PM
Cool. I gota get one.

There are certain aspects of appeal to a cast net as opposed to wading out into the water with a sein about 9 months out of the year.
Posted By: snrub Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 03:09 PM

I can run the lever on a hydraulic wood splitter, does that count? laugh
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 03:23 PM
5' is pretty small and limits your catch rate. 7' or larger greatly increases your catch radius. I however am limited to 7’ footer with my skills. I have seen a guy toss a 12' net in a pond and it covered a giant area.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 03:55 PM
I'm about 95% with the 5' diameter on full deployment. I'm guessing with every increase in diameter it becomes more challenging.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 09:01 PM
I have seen a guy toss a 12' net in a pond and it covered a giant area.
Wow! I didn't know they made 12' cast nets. I can just picture me drowning myself with one of those. eek

I once tried cast netting hook-shy Bluegills in a clear pond using floating fish food for bait. About one out of every four tosses was sufficient; however, the Bluegill quickly became cast net-shy as well, and would scatter when they saw the net coming.

BTW, nice video TJ. Certainly sounds like your cast hit the sweet spot.
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: gully washer
Wow! I didn't know they made 12' cast nets. I can just picture me drowning myself with one of those. eek

I once tried cast netting hook-shy Bluegills in a clear pond using floating fish food for bait. About one out of every four tosses was sufficient; however, the Bluegill quickly became cast net-shy as well, and would scatter when they saw the net coming.

Might have been a 10 foot ...its possible... But was gaint..and very detailed prep to get it set to toss...
Posted By: Bearbait1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 10:59 PM
I spent some time on a small island in micronesia and frequently saw a guy making his living catching mullet with a huge cast net from an elevated platform on a 3' wide dugout canoe. I couldn't have stood on the platform without tipping the canoe much less throwing a huge net from up there. I was ashamed to ever let him see me flailing the water with my small net.
Posted By: MSC Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 11:15 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw a cast net in action years ago. We were fishing a pier on the Chesapeake Bay and some Asian guy was throwing out one and getting about 50 bunkers each try. I got me one after that and started practicing in the yard.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub

I can run the lever on a hydraulic wood splitter, does that count? laugh

That depends. Is the valve on the woodsplitter equipped with a detent and automatic kickout on the reverse stroke, or do you need to hold the lever manually? laugh
Posted By: snrub Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 11:33 PM
You mean to be video material I have to be talented enough to hold the lever in BOTH directions? Man you are asking a lot. Guess I'm not ready for prime time cause it has the up detent. cry

It also has a piece of iron that sticks out that if I'm not careful while sitting on a stump splitting wood I will bend over, hit my forehead on it, and make my forehead bleed. That seems to be entertaining to my oldest grandson. mad I think it has maybe helped my thinking a little though. crazy
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/06/14 11:53 PM
Yes, both directions. This is PondBoss after all, and we set ourselves a high standard where videos are concerned.

I am in agreement with your grandson on one point. A vid showing you hitting your head on the piece of iron might be entertaining, if only because it sounds just like something I might do. Please refrain from using language that might stunt my growth however, as I believe I have a good many formative years left in me.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/07/14 03:54 AM
Originally Posted By: gully washer

Thanks GW, and I am with you fish getting net-shy after a few throws. If one fails to get a full deployment on those throws, they are STILL net-shy and you have nothing to show for your efforts except maybe a dock full of FA! Been there...
Posted By: george1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/07/14 12:23 PM
My first grow out pond for HSB was stuffed full of 8-10 inchers, perfect size to transfer to main pond. They were so fat and happy full of CNBG and FHM they would not bite a hook.

Ok, perfect solution – time for cast net – easy right?
Wrong – I bought a cast net – practiced on the grass – got really good at throwing what is commonly known as “tacos” around here – gave up and asked a Texoma guide buddy to catch my HSB for me.

He made his living catching live bait – he was an expert.
Chummed up a school of HSB – tossed net first throw and caught 7 fat ~10 inch HSB – second toss 3 fish – 3rd cast NADA – never caught another one – smart fish! cry

Don’t waste time on cast nets unless you want to catch BG or minnows - hook and line or fish traps much less labor intensive.

MY experience only – it may work for you. grin
George
Posted By: RER Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/07/14 01:25 PM
They do get smart, This is why I usually go at night, they do not see it comming. Unless I am after stuff in shallow water, then I they have no place to go. But if you are wanting the net to sink down over the fish night time works well.

George, We call them bananas around here.

It is important to get the first cast in a given area right. If you dont you just blow up the spot and spook every thing.

My GSH spot is a one cast spot, I can get about 2 dozen if done right. Last night I had a partial taco/banana and only got 6. second and third cast yielded nothing.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 02/07/14 02:32 PM
I used to be able to use a cast net and still have 3 or 4 of them. I now call them taco tossers.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/09/14 10:49 PM
TJ, are you still using your cast net? Still like it? Have you tried it on that YP, BG trophy pond? Where did you get yours?

I'm thinking about getting one. Anybody else have opinions on things to look for or avoid in purchasing a cast net?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/09/14 10:58 PM
Don't start with a big one. Until you learn the technique you'll throw tacos.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 05:04 AM
Yo Fish - Talk about serendipity - I got a notification on my IPhone of your post literally while I was tossing the cast net for BG off the dock. cool

So, yes, I'm still using it, and yes I still like it - but it can be a tad trying at times. Here's some general feedback and tips:

1. Throwing a cast net is far easier when elevated from a boat or a dock. Further, it helps being North of 5'8" if you're using a 5' or larger cast net so the net doesn't drag which really impedes casting motion and deployment.

2. I learned the frustrating way via trial and error with a 5' net over several days. 5' isn't huge, but they make them smaller [3.5'; 4'; 4.5'; etc.]. I recommend starting with something 5' or smaller per Dave's suggestion.

3. Review online tutorials as they can teach you some great tips and help ease the learning curve. It never occurred to me to look online for tips until my bad habits were already fully ingrained - but encourage anyone learning to go there first.

4. I personally prefer nylon vs. mono nets. I think they are easier on fish and tangle less frequently. Also, think Douglas Net Company - I love their products thus far and they are far more affordable than other inferior brands I've tried.

5. The harder I throw, especially into the wind, the less my net deploys. I learned it's far more important to perfect the timing/motion of the throw than to muscle it. Casting into the wind can be a frustrating/fruitless enterprise at least for someone at my skill level.

6. I learned to never cast where larger fish may be cruising [deeper water under pellets]. I have accidentally caught a few large HSB and SMB and I had to cut them out of the nets so I didn't lose them. Extricating them would have taken too long - likely ended as morts or at least uber stressed. Cast net repair is rather tedious work - so I focus my casts in areas where my target size/species will likely be. I only use cast nets for FHM, GSH, and panfish [BG, RES].

7. Removing BH from cast nets is a slow and sometimes painful process. I now simply stomp them in the net then shake them out in the grass. They are far more docile that way.

8. Get your target species feeding on pellets prior to casting - you can increase your success exponentially than throwing into dead water and hoping.

9. Fish get wise to cast nets rather quickly - I agree they must see the net coming. Smaller fish are less experienced/wary so temper your expectations in smaller BOWs - especially if you're casting from the same position like on a dock. Don't expect 10" BG and RES in every cast. Following 10 casts I typically don't catch much else from the dock unless I wait 30+ minutes for things to mellow. Casting at dusk or night increases the take significantly per other's experiences in the thread.

10. Don't be afraid to cast into vegetation - many fish hold in shallow vegetation and depending on the species the cast net won't pick up much green on the retrieve. American Pondweed is a great example - holds lot's of fish and I often don't come back with a leaf.

11. I also enjoy using an umbrella net for collecting BG around the dock. I've used several brands and they rarely hold up [Frabil, et al] until I found Douglas Net Company. So far I'm super pleased with it's construction and integrity. I typically will catch 50-75 YOY BG per net every 2-3 minutes even without bait. Helps me feed my YOY SMB in the reproduction pond for free. I hear they're good for Crayfish, too.

http://www.douglasnets.com/product.php?productid=6&cat=0&page=1
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 09:54 AM
A cast net is something to learn about before you get too damned old. I used to be able to throw a 10 ft. one. At 71, I'd be lucky to throw a 4 foot one. I've tried my 5 ft one but tacos are more usual that good throws. When you mess up, the fish scatter and the next toss is not productive.

Like a big trap, a snake in there is a character builder.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
A cast net is something to learn about before you get too damned old. I used to be able to throw a 10 ft. one. At 71, I'd be lucky to throw a 4 foot one. I've tried my 5 ft one but tacos are more usual that good throws. When you mess up, the fish scatter and the next toss is not productive.

Like a big trap, a snake in there is a character builder.

Ha, That gets me to wondering if I'll catch some snappers!
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 10:41 AM
Thanks TJ for all that info.

Good point about 5' being big enough because of personal height. Didn't think about that. I was leaning towards an 8' because that info said if you go smaller the thrower tends to throw it to hard, but bigger than 8' was for professionals. I wonder how they toss them if they are taller than the thrower. Must be different techniques in gathering it up and throwing? I will look into the videos to try to find out more on it.

The cast nets on Douglas say they are a combination mono-nylon. You have a nylon only? Looks like they are discontinuing their cast nets with a close out sale.

You mention bigger fish being a problem. One of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one is for Tilapia. I wonder if that is not a good idea with a cast net? Of course my intention is for harvest, but will they tear up the net and get to tangled?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 02:43 PM
Yes, larger nets require bundling net over either shoulder I think - never tried it, looks challenging and loading the net takes a lot more time/effort it appears.

I have several cast nets, my favorite are Douglas the mono/nylon. If they are on sales I'd go for it.

Bigger fish are a problem to remove, meaning 20-24" HSB and bigger SMB I have no intention of harvesting. It's super stressful on them and not worth putting my net or them through the trauma if I have no intention of harvesting them. If your intention is harvest, I wouldn't worry about netting anything - given time you can remove anything from the net - it just might not be alive when you finally get it out if it's large and super tangled. Doubt your tilapia are big enough to cause any extraction issues anyhow - cast net might be perfect for that task.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/10/14 11:44 PM
One thing I learned is that the cast net is dimensioned by the radius, not the diameter.

I still can't throw one!
Posted By: george1 Re: Cast net demo - first attempt - 09/11/14 10:23 AM
Yes, larger nets require bundling net over either shoulder I think - never tried it, looks challenging and loading the net takes a lot more time/effort it appears.

I have several cast nets, my favorite are Douglas the mono/nylon. If they are on sales I'd go for it.

Bigger fish are a problem to remove, meaning 20-24" HSB and bigger SMB I have no intention of harvesting. It's super stressful on them and not worth putting my net or them through the trauma if I have no intention of harvesting them. If your intention is harvest, I wouldn't worry about netting anything - given time you can remove anything from the net - it just might not be alive when you finally get it out if it's large and super tangled. Doubt your tilapia are big enough to cause any extraction issues anyhow - cast net might be perfect for that task.

My one serious attempt with cast nets was a learning experience.
Brood pond stocked with CNBG and FHM stocked with fingerling HSB stocked following spring grew to 8 inches by fall.
OK - easy to harvest with cast net - right?
Bought a cast net and practiced on the grass but still an occsaionsl taco. Disappointed with my cast net skill I asked my long time Texoma striper guide buddy that used a cast net daily to help me out.

Long story short - chummed up the HSB with a handfull of feed and my guide buddy threw a perfect cast an caught 5 nice 8 inch HSB - 2nd cast 3 HSB 3rd cast ZERO - his comment "those suckers learn fast"!
Game over!

All of my harvest is by hook and line!
George
© Pond Boss Forum