Pond Boss
Posted By: tjstubbs Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 07:20 PM
I caught this big blue catfish last night at a pond I am helping a guy manage here in Mississippi. The scale bounced between 29 and 32 pounds. 22 years ago 15 blue catfish, each about a pound each were stocked into this pond....Now look what happend!

Attached picture bigblue1.jpg
Attached picture bigblue2.jpg
Attached picture bigblue3.jpg
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 07:34 PM
Interesting. How large is the pond and do you catch blues regularly?
I stocked 200 blues in my pond last fall but have yet to catch any.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 07:41 PM
They are beautiful fish. Nice post TJ
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 07:42 PM
The pond is around 5 acres. Average depth is maybe 5 feet, with the deepest being 13. I did catch another one that was only about 9 pounds, which tells me they either reproduced, which is unlikely, or this big one just eats a lot. He said he catches 1 or 2 year on accident bass fishing. The 2 he got last year were around 20 pounds. His kids love the idea of a giant fish being in the pond, so he releases all of them.

Thanks TJ
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:02 PM

Posted By: Sunil Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:02 PM

Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:04 PM
Thanks Sunil, I didnt know how to do that. haha
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:04 PM
Can you relate to us the affect these ultra predators are having on the remaining population of fish? I've wanted to stock CB [channel/blue] hybrids in my pond but was worried about their voracious appetities crushing my other species' populations.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:05 PM
Man I bet that was fun wrangling in! Did you catch it on accident fishing for bass too?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:05 PM

Posted By: Sunil Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:07 PM
If you right click on the picture, then select properties, you have to cut & paste that into a reply and put [img] immediately before it and [/img] immediately after it.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
If you right click on the picture, then select properties, you have to cut & paste that into a reply and put [img] immediately before it and [/img] immediately after it.

Does this only work for IE? I use Firefox and this isn't an option for me? confused
Posted By: Omaha Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:16 PM
Sorry if that's ^ a hijack. blush

To get back on blue cats are they less prone to becoming hook shy than CC since you said you release, but continue to catch, them?
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Can you relate to us the affect these ultra predators are having on the remaining population of fish? I've wanted to stock CB [channel/blue] hybrids in my pond but was worried about their voracious appetities crushing my other species' populations.

TJ, Should you ever decide to place an order for the hybrids let me know.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:42 PM
BH

I need to determine if they're going to crush my YP and SMB populations first. Bob did a story about BC virtually cleaning out a lake of LMB and became the dominant predator. I need to think this over...I will definitely be in touch RE these hybrids. I think I found a source way down south that sells them.
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:42 PM
Thats a good question TJ. As of right now the pond owner is happy, yet questioning the future. Since I have been here (1 year). Him and I have been keeping some hook and line sampling data. We have yet to catch a LMB under 14 inches. The Wr on these fish is great, Upper 90's average. There are also BLG, and Golden Shiners present. The BLG are stunted at 5-7 inches, which is what he wanted as he wanted a primarily LMB fishery. The only problem is, he is seeing less and less bass, and they are all between 3-5 pounds. With the exception of an 11 pounder last summer (09). He says this is a definite decrease in numbers from previous years. Once again, according to the landowner, who only catches acouple of these blues a year. Says that they have really been packing on the weight the last 5 years or so. The fisheries researcher in me wants to cut open some blue stomachs to see if there is smaller LMB in them, which is what I suspect is happening. The BLG populations seem to be the same, and the golden shiners are thriving. So to answer your question, I think if he were to of put in more blue cats, he would be having bigger problems. I also suspect that this will continue, and could crash the bass pop. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with blue cats?
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 08:47 PM
Omaha, I was actually fishing for catfish. i had a hefty piece of calf liver on a circle hook sitting on the bottom. It was awesome!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 09:51 PM
Dang that is a big fish.

That guy looks like he could swallow a 3 pound LMB whole. (the fish not tjstubbs).
Posted By: ewest Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 09:59 PM
Ask Marty about big cats in ponds. IMO the reason he sees less big LMB 4+ lbs is that is what the big BC are eating. Not sure the BC could eat a 10 LMB. Check the gape size of the BC. That is the only limiting factor to its feeding.

BC also eat big BG so that may be why you don't see many over 7 inches.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/20/10 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: tjstubbs
Thats a good question TJ. As of right now the pond owner is happy, yet questioning the future. Since I have been here (1 year). Him and I have been keeping some hook and line sampling data. We have yet to catch a LMB under 14 inches. The Wr on these fish is great, Upper 90's average. There are also BLG, and Golden Shiners present. The BLG are stunted at 5-7 inches, which is what he wanted as he wanted a primarily LMB fishery. The only problem is, he is seeing less and less bass, and they are all between 3-5 pounds. With the exception of an 11 pounder last summer (09). He says this is a definite decrease in numbers from previous years. Once again, according to the landowner, who only catches acouple of these blues a year. Says that they have really been packing on the weight the last 5 years or so. The fisheries researcher in me wants to cut open some blue stomachs to see if there is smaller LMB in them, which is what I suspect is happening. The BLG populations seem to be the same, and the golden shiners are thriving. So to answer your question, I think if he were to of put in more blue cats, he would be having bigger problems. I also suspect that this will continue, and could crash the bass pop. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with blue cats?

Bob wrote an article about this in a back issue of Pond Boss Magazine. Blue cats pretty much took over the fishery, and while the BC fishing was crazy, the rest of the fishery suffered, especially the LMB.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/21/10 12:11 AM
Based on the photos, I estimate the gape of the 30 lb BC (in dorsal view pic) is very close to the same as the width of tjstubbs' neck. The two largest barbels of BC sit at each corner of the mouth. Get someone to measure the width of tj's neck.
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Big Blue Catfish - 05/21/10 03:52 AM
Good observation Bill. My neck width is right around 6.5 inches and I wear 17.5 inch neck collars on my dress shirt...So that blue could definitly do some damage on the bass populations.
© Pond Boss Forum