Pond Boss
Posted By: munsterlander Old stand pipe issues - 10/14/19 02:55 PM
We have been renovating a pond that was built in 1970s. We have removed 40 years of silt and are ready to start filling the pond. The pond has a standpipe that acts as an overflow drain and has a capped pipe at the bottom to allow the pond to be drained. The standpipe (attached photo) appears to be in good shape so we have decided to reuse it. The original cover for the standpipe drain (photo attached) is brass and is pristine. I believe it is called a shear cap. The metal rod used to open the shear cover rusted away years ago. My plan is to reuse the bass cover as it was originally installed. Any thoughts on this plan? Should I use some type of sealant or gasket between the brass cover and the pipe - if so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Attached picture shear cover 2.jpg
Attached picture standpipe.jpg
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/14/19 04:38 PM
Welcome to PBF!

What material is the standpipe?
Posted By: munsterlander Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/14/19 06:26 PM
I assuming it is cast iron, but I cannot say for sure. Maybe ductile iron, but one or the other.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/15/19 10:31 AM
FWIW...there have been lots of discussions on this site regarding how to replace aged, leaking, rusty cast iron pipes that are causing problems after years of good service. Maybe it would be wise to replace it with PVC now while you have access?

Not a pro...just thinking it would be a shame for you to have gone thru all the work so far only to have a problem with a rusted out iron pipe in the future. Hopefully, members with experience with iron pipes will offer some thoughts.
Posted By: roundy Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/15/19 01:21 PM
If this was my pond, I would cap off this drainage system and install a new system from scratch. Same reason as Bill D. stated. I am very happy with my siphon system so far. Not an expert just a practical opinion.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/15/19 01:42 PM
All steel pipe rusts through at some point in time, Im with Bill and Roundy, PVC will not be too extremely expensive or labor intensive while the pond is empty and will last indefinitely. versus draining the pond and replacing the existing metal pipe, along with your entire fish population in 5 yrs. jmo
My experience with metal and cast iron, if you will remove the existing rust that is showing on your standpipe you would find some extremely thin spots.
Posted By: JinComerGA Re: Old stand pipe issues - 10/30/19 10:14 PM
I have a galvanized 6". Currently drained 60's pond. I used a GoPro to run in it and have a look. No holes yet kind of hard to know how thin it is just like the above comment. It's got holes on the outlet though. It looks like they coated the galvanized with tar perhaps once upon a time.

Lets say he and I want close the old pipe. Can you cap it at the end and put concrete in from the top?

I SUBSCRIBE smile
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Old stand pipe issues - 11/04/19 02:03 PM
Yes you can cap it and put concrete in it, but then you have to figure out the best way to "replace" it...not literally, but that pipe had a job. How will that "job" be handled now?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Old stand pipe issues - 11/04/19 04:49 PM
I'm not a pro, but here's some food for thought maybe...If you just fill the pipe with concrete, over time the rest of the pipe will rust away leaving a potential leak path around your concrete plug. How about digging a hole a couple feet deep around the existing pipe and cutting it off at the bottom of the hole? You could then fill the pipe with concrete and back fill the hole with compacted clay and bentonite to make a permanent water tight seal.

...Just my 1 cent
© Pond Boss Forum