Pond Boss
Hi there,

I’m new to the community so I hope I’m following correct protocol. My wife and I recently bought 11 acres just south of Chattanooga TN. The property has an existing .5 acre pond. I am told that it was constructed as a cow pond years ago. It makes sense to construct it this way to allow cattle to walk into and out of the pond with ease.

However, the pond overflows with moderate rain. The dam has two old school metal tiles that act as a drain when the water gets too high. Im curious if someone can suggest an individual that can tell me if it’s feasible to dig the pond deeper, give the pond walls (because one side lacks any at all due to its use for cattle in the past), and lower the level of the tiles to help with the pond overflowing/flooding? And if so, what would it cost?

I’m obviously not an expert so forgive me if I sound ignorant. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor
Welcome to the forum Taylor. Lots of knowledgeable folks here that can answer your questions. I’m sure some will help you with your questions
Taylor, I'm no expert with dams. However, I have seen real experts here sometimes recommend raising the dam several feet rather than digging the dirt much. Maybe taking some soil from the shallow side, adding clay as needed, and use on the dam.
© Pond Boss Forum