Pond Boss
Posted By: richieP New Pond Owner - Invasive Phragmites - 06/13/18 08:20 PM
Hello

We just purchased a property with an approx. 1/2 acre pond on it. The pond has some healthy stands of phragmites on two shores and I have been clearing them below the water level (as close to the pond bottom as possible). On land I am using a hedge clipper first and then mowing. I understand from reading that this is a workable strategy for relatively small areas in lieu of using herbicides, which I am not keen to do as the outlet of our pond feeds into other lakes and waterways, and it may well be illegal in CT. I discovered this forum after beginning this work, but was wondering if others have dealt with phragmites, and could share their experiences removing and controlling these plants.

We have many other things to learn about pond ownership, installing an aeration system also being at the top of the list.

Thank you
Rich
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: New Pond Owner - Invasive Phragmites - 06/14/18 09:16 PM
Mechanical removal may be the best option if you cannot use herbicides. Mechanically remove roots and all, as without removing the roots, the buggers keep coming back. Bobcat or excavator.

Every time I see these things spring up, I eliminate them with extreme prejudice, along with Grey Swallow-wart, wild parsnip (!), garlic mustard, willow, etc. I had to give up on the garlic mustard, it is overwhelming. The "whip grass" is easy to spot, but those roots are horrible to get out. You will need to dig or poison it.

A way that is a little more controlled so you don't get poison where you don't want it, like in the water, is using the "gloves of death" method. Essentially a cloth glove over some sturdy rubber gloves you dip into glyphosphate mix and rub on the plants by hand you desire to kill. It will take a while, but it is much more targeted and effective. It allows selective killing rather than everything.

Good luck restoring your pond!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Pond Owner - Invasive Phragmites - 06/15/18 02:52 AM
Glove of death +100. Don’t mess with these I recommend knocking out ASAP. They are a horribly invasive species. In NE we are actually subject to fines if our land is reported with musk thistle or phragmites.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Pond Owner - Invasive Phragmites - 06/15/18 05:58 AM
https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/phragmites/native-or-not.cfm

Apparently some phragmites are native to the US and are not classified as invasive. I'd verify species, and if necessary, treat.
Posted By: richieP Re: New Pond Owner - Invasive Phragmites - 06/19/18 02:59 AM
Native or otherwise, they make quite a mess. I have cut them back and will now mow the shoreline, and and keep cutting them as close to the bottom for the ones in the water. This is supposed to drown them. I may end up using the glove of death if they keep popping up on land. The areas in the water where they were are like booby traps with their sharp stalks sticking up. You need stout footwear just to wade into these areas, and the roots are impossible to remove without a backhoe or some such equipment.
© Pond Boss Forum