Pond Boss
Posted By: allisd17 Levy Question - 08/16/17 05:51 PM
I recently moved the levy from my old pond to catch the next hill to take on more acres of runoff. In the process of digging the core the operator dug up an old 4" field tile that was being used as the dribble pipe from the old pond. He left the tile there so it now runs from the core to the actual pond. He says that it wont matter because the core will stop it. I'm not comfortable with that. I plan to fill it with concrete as best as I can buy pouring/pushing wet concrete down the tile via 2" pvc and a plunger made from 3/4" pvc that has bushings glued to the end to fit the ID of the 2" PVC. Any thoughts or suggestions? I think it is something that needs to be addressed. Am I wrong? I don't want to find out when its too late. Its probably 20-30 ' long and maybe 10-12 ' below the future new pond level.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Levy Question - 08/17/17 02:01 AM
Welcome to the forum
Wish I could answer you question but I can't.hopefully a dirt guy will figure it out for you.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Levy Question - 08/17/17 03:33 AM
allisd17, welcome to the forum! As long as the field tile was cut off on the wet side of your core, and the core extends below the tile, and is WELL compacted, (tracks don't compact) it will be fine as is. Water will be against your core, whether from a tile or your pond...The tile is nothing more than structure in your pond now. The biggest concern on any potential leakage, is how well your pond basin and especially the core was compacted. A wheeled earthmover or sheepsfoot roller is the best, as tracks are designed to float, and minimally compact soils.
Posted By: allisd17 Re: Levy Question - 08/17/17 02:37 PM
Thanks!! That's reassuring. Yes the tile was cut when the core was dug. He didn't use a sheeps foot though. frown I can say though that the earth that I dug up with my loader was rock hard and was actually more than my machine want to deal with... I think I will still fill the tile with concrete unless someone thinks its a bad idea. I don't think it will be too bad of a job. Great website! I enjoy reading all the good information here. Have a great day!
Posted By: RAH Re: Levy Question - 08/17/17 04:03 PM
The recommendation that I have seen for wetlands is to remove 25 feet above and below the berm. If it is perforated tile, then plugging the ends will not be that effective.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Levy Question - 08/17/17 11:06 PM
Is the loader you speak of attached to a D17 by any chance? I bled orange for a few years myself.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Levy Question - 08/18/17 12:06 AM
allsid, you can fill the tile, it won't hurt or help either way.....water is still going to flow in from the uphill side, and the pond will back up into the tile till the water finds it's own level.

Your pond will saturate all soils above the berm and sometimes, depending on soil porosity, that can be more water than is held inside the pond itself
Posted By: allisd17 Re: Levy Question - 08/18/17 01:04 PM
It is a D-17! Thanks for all the responses!
© Pond Boss Forum