Pond Boss
Posted By: FayetteTX NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/20/16 03:23 PM
Hello All -

Thank you very much for all of the useful information that everyone posts on the forum, I am learning a lot!

I am preparing to renovate and expand my existing pond and have the NRCS coming out in a week or so to give me their thoughts. I will also be visiting with them about improving my pastures over time so I can grow hay.

I plan to ask them about watershed, soil quality, permits required, pond size, and contractors. What else should I be asking them? It has taken a few weeks to get an appointment so I want to make sure I make the most of the visit.

Thanks.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/20/16 09:25 PM
Soil, best site, and runoff area are the biggies.
Posted By: djnks Re: NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/21/16 03:43 AM
You might ask about any available programs that could assist you with help funding your project.
Posted By: FayetteTX Re: NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/21/16 01:17 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/21/16 04:44 PM
The most interesting fact I got from NRCS before I built my pond was related to the watershed/sizing the culvert. The '100 year rain' volume was especially interesting....of course in the 9 years since I built the pond I've gotten equal to or above the '100 year' amount 5 times....
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: NRCS Site Vist - Questions to Ask - 07/21/16 11:34 PM
BTW, the NRCS also, or used to, keep a list of pond digging contractors. Beware; there is no qualification regarding knowledge about properly building a pond.
© Pond Boss Forum