Pond Boss
Hey guys,
Man, am I glad I found this website and forum. I have found so much helpful information to help us in renovating our old farm pond. I have attached an aerial photo of what it looks like now. We are enlarging it and cleaning it out so that it will end up around 2 acres and end a dog-bone shape (see the 2nd attached proposed sketch). I haven't seen a pond layout design on this site yet, so I though I would ask for opinions on my layout/sketch...we plan to stock largemouth bass and bluegill.
1. where would you put a shallow area with pea gravel for spawning beds?
2. how would you design bottom terrain changes, ledges, points, drop-offs?
3. where would you pile big boulders?
4. if this was a blank slate, how would you design the ultimate bass pond?

Thank ya'll for all the opinions!

Attached picture 2 acre pond aerial view - before.png
Attached picture 2 acre pond sketch - proposed.jpg
Posted By: RAH Re: pond renovation design - draw your own pond - 07/19/16 12:28 AM
A lot of the design depends on your topography IMO. Every pond is unique. Try to have fun. That is priceless!
I would not make the bottom smooth. It would have the terrain changes you mention. Rocks? Strung in a line from deep to shallow. Brush piles for small fish.

Bass? About 30 to 40 all female a year after the forage base is established.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: pond renovation design - draw your own pond - 07/19/16 11:26 AM
I agree, have fun with the bottom of the pond. remember lmb like structure and will stay close to it. then add cover smile

Tracy
Yep, this whole planning process has been fun. I have taken the sketch I uploaded and penciled in several designs with various points, drop-offs, structure added, shallows for spawning, etc.
Has anyone seen any other examples or pond lay-outs or designs that they could post photos of?
I was just hoping to find a couple of examples to look at that show how good "hypothetical" bass pond might be designed or laid out...

Thank you!
I have seen pond design sketches on this forum before, but I do not know how to find them other than wading through a lot of old posts. Maybe someone who made those sketches or remembers who did will see this and post a link to the old threads.
© Pond Boss Forum