Pond Boss
Posted By: ozarkfisher New Pond underway - 05/09/15 05:53 PM
So just finished meeting with the last of the contractors this morning and have made my decision on which one I will be using to remove my old small silted in pond. The new pond will be in the same area but will be much larger hopefully with any luck close to 1.5 acres. The construction will start this June and I will update this post regularly with new pictures of the going ons.

Attached picture pond 1.JPG
Attached picture pond 2.JPG
Attached picture pond 3.JPG
Attached picture pond 4.JPG
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New Pond underway - 05/09/15 09:41 PM
Have fun and chronicle the journey.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: New Pond underway - 05/10/15 04:48 AM
+ 1 on the fun and send pictures when ya can
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/23/15 05:06 PM
Started clearing pond area yesterday also drained old pond and burned old brush piles glad to finally be started will post more as it progress's.

Attached picture construction 5.jpg
Attached picture construction 7.jpg
Attached picture construction 8.jpg
Attached picture construction 9.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New Pond underway - 06/23/15 08:41 PM
Looking forward to taking the trip with you.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New Pond underway - 06/23/15 11:33 PM
Looking good so far. Enjoy the ride!
Posted By: FishyFishy Re: New Pond underway - 06/23/15 11:35 PM
Makes me want to build another pond! Wish I had done a couple of things differently. I would have liked it about 3-4 ft deeper (max of 11-12 feet) and I would have done a steeper incline at the edges. What IS the perfect pond anyway? I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. Having a pond sure has been an education and will continue to be one.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/24/15 05:45 PM
Second days progress

Attached picture construction 15.jpg
Attached picture construction 12.jpg
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/25/15 04:09 PM
Third day of construction had my 4 year old stand in the middle for some scale in the last picture.

Attached picture construction 17.jpg
Attached picture construction 19.jpg
Attached picture construction 22.jpg
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/27/15 08:23 PM
pics of the finished pond and even got some rain the day after it finished so we already got about 8" of water

Attached picture construction 24.jpg
Attached picture construction 26.jpg
Posted By: fish n chips Re: New Pond underway - 06/27/15 09:11 PM
Kind of went about it the hard way to water that tree smile

Looks good. You got it done quickly.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/29/15 03:27 PM
Thanks yes it did go quickly the only problem we ran into was we had to stop at 8 foot deep due to solid rock bottom, but other than that I was very impressed. The contractor was very professional and polite with lots of helpful advice hopefully I can post some better pictures once I get home I work on the road a lot.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/07/15 04:35 PM
I guess I am probably the only person wishing the rain would stop filling my pond lol. It has been raining every day and as quickly as the pond was built its filling up even quicker hopefully it will stop soon and dry out so I can finish building fish structure and my dock.

Attached picture construction 34.jpg
Attached picture construction 33.jpg
Attached picture construction 32.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New Pond underway - 07/07/15 08:39 PM
Of the 2, I think I would go for a full pond. However, I expect you can count on rain more than I can.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 09/25/15 03:40 PM
Its been very busy and wet since I last posted any progress on the pond. I added as much rip rap as I could and continue to do so even though I am only about a foot from the overflow. Hopefully I can get some more structure in as soon as possible. Here are some pics of the pond since our last rain.

Attached picture almost full pool 1.jpg
Attached picture dock area.JPG
Attached picture pond 2.JPG
Attached picture pond 3.JPG
Attached picture Rain 7.JPG
Attached picture top of driveway.JPG
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 06/30/16 08:19 PM
Its been awhile since I have had time to post any progress on the pond, but with a recent vacation I was able to finally enjoy some time at home. Since I last posted grass has grown the clay has settled out and has been replaced with a nice green water. The kids were all able to fish, swim, and kayak. Early this spring I added a Texas Hunter feeder which was well worth the investment by looking at all the pot bellied hybrid bluegill. Of course I am sure the Optimal feed helped with that as well. I wish I had more pictures to post but lost a phone over the vacation so I will just have to post what I have.

Attached picture texas feeder 1.JPG
Attached picture dock.JPG
Attached picture double fish.JPG
Attached picture kayak.JPG
Attached picture swimming.JPG
Posted By: Bing Re: New Pond underway - 07/01/16 05:26 PM
Looks great, a slice of Paradise.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/05/17 06:48 PM
Me and the boys built us a mobile fishing platform to leave in the pond. Pretty neat thought I would share some pics of it.

Attached picture BOAT 1.JPG
Attached picture BOAT 2.JPG
Attached picture BOAT 3.JPG
Attached picture BOAT 4.JPG
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New Pond underway - 07/05/17 07:01 PM
Very cool! It looks like a lot of fun, both the build and it's use.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/05/17 07:13 PM
Thanks I do enjoy tinkering with stuff like that. It drives my wife nuts that I work so hard on my time off lol.
Posted By: RER Re: New Pond underway - 07/05/17 09:06 PM
It's not work if your having fun!
Posted By: willywonka Re: New Pond underway - 07/06/17 06:27 PM
Looks amazing, Did your contractor do the entire build with the dozer? I'm wonder how it went when he had to go into the existing hole. There must have been a lot of goo he had to move. Did he get stuck?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Pond underway - 07/06/17 07:36 PM
Congrats Ozark!!
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/06/17 09:42 PM
Bobby- I would have to agree it doesn't feel like work

WW- The contractor actually did a lot of the work with an excavator such as muck removal, core trench, etc. The dozer was mainly used for moving dirt and pushing trees.

TJ - Thanks, really happy with the project as a whole.
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/06/17 10:00 PM
Also my wife enjoys watching wildlife around the house so we added about half an acre of food plot between the house and pond. It has came up great and needless to say you cant hardly chase the deer off anymore.

Attached picture EDGE.JPG
Attached picture food plot.JPG
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Pond underway - 07/07/17 04:00 PM
Oz what species did you feature in your fishery?
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/07/17 07:18 PM
YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,FHM,GSH
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New Pond underway - 07/08/17 06:15 AM
Great combo! How are things going?
Posted By: ozarkfisher Re: New Pond underway - 07/08/17 12:55 PM
Things seem to be going well. The HBG and GSH are thriving for sure. As far as the rest of the fish go I have only caught a handful of YP, but they seem to be in decent shape. I have caught several RES yoy in the minnow trap so that's a relief knowing they took hold. I have only caught 1 SMB shortly after they were stocked. I cant say with certainty but I believe my poor catch rates are attributed to a couple things. One being a full time welfare Heron and the other being lots of forage and pellets. If my catch rates are still low this fall and my RWs are high I will probably add some more HSB and HBG. My average RW on HBG this March was around 98% which I thought was good coming out of winter? Plus I don't start pellets until April. Really interested in getting some RWs this Fall after a much heavier feeding routine this year.
© Pond Boss Forum