Pond Boss
Posted By: Arktiger How soon can I restock. - 02/18/15 05:55 PM
I did a lime kill Saturday on the water remaining in my pond. It rained a good bit Sunday and Monday. Yesterday I started draining another pond into it so it is getting about two feet of fresh water a day. The fish stocking truck will be in town for the first time a week from today. Could I go ahead and stock CC and HBG a week and a half after liming or will the lime and dead fish still present a danger?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: How soon can I restock. - 02/18/15 06:22 PM
Having never limed a pond myself, I guess I assumed you were supposed to remove the dead fish. I am interested in hearing the reply to your question as well.
Posted By: Arktiger Re: How soon can I restock. - 02/18/15 06:29 PM
Crap! Maybe I was supposed to.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: How soon can I restock. - 02/18/15 08:21 PM
Ark,

It will probably be fine to leave them in there.

I'd recommend getting a pH test kit to find out the pH of your water. If it is between 6-8 you shouldn't have a problem restocking next week.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: How soon can I restock. - 02/18/15 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Ark,

It will probably be fine to leave them in there.

I'd recommend getting a pH test kit to find out the pH of your water. If it is between 6-8 you shouldn't have a problem restocking next week.

Does that mean leaving the dead fish is the way it is generally done?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How soon can I restock. - 02/19/15 01:48 AM
When I renovate I try to remove as many dead fish as practical. Numerous dead fish (depending on area) result in some sort of algae bloom often it is filamentous algae. Decaying fish release lots of nutrients. Amount of bloom will depend on nutrient concentration in the water. A pH test is probably not needed since you are diluting with a lots of water at 2 ft per day. Testing the pH will allow you to sleep better. pH test kits from a pool supply or pet shop are relatively cheap. If you test pH let us know what you discover.
© Pond Boss Forum