Pond Boss
Posted By: Arktiger Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 05:00 PM
I have a siphon system made with 2" pipe. I am eventually going to have to drain one pond into another. What can I place on the end of the 2" pipe that will keep out unwanted fish but not interfere with the siphoning? Thanks for any help!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 05:04 PM
Can you fabricate a screen out of hardware cloth?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 07:13 PM
Ark, Best suggestion I have is to make an inlet Tee. Cap the ends and drill lots of 1/4" holes in a split, 10' long section. That will spread out and reduce the suction on the individual holes letting fish escape along with not reducing flow if some holes clog. I have also used a 4-way adaptor that looked like 3, 5' long chicken feet sticking out from the main pipe.

If you leave the ends uncapped, fish will get curious and swim in....then they are a real bugger to get out if twisted up.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 07:43 PM
Use a T on the end of the 2" pipe, with a 3-4" "nipple" going each 90 degree direction,take a roll of 1/2" mesh hardware cloth, roll a 4-5' section around a section of pipe the same diameter of the nipples, fasten it with zip ties to keep it from unrolling, slide it off the 2" pipe and slide it on the nipples, attach it to the pipe nipples with a hose clamp, and flatten the outboard end of the hardware cloth about 4-5", fold it over itself and you're done?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 07:46 PM
In my experience draining a ponds which have Agridrains installed, I have always had a big BG plug the 4" drain sideways at least once during the draining process and reduce or stop the flow altogether. Sometimes this meant disrobing in mid 40 degree water, like the Fall 2014, and diving to 5' depths so I could get my hands on the fish to remove as it was too deep to reach otherwise. The experience was excruciating, and the fish was beyond nasty as I removed it, piece by piece, from the pipe. Good times.

Agridrain sells fish guards and offers other options to fit several sizes of pvc and install on the inflow end of the PVC which would have likely prevented all of my issues. Of course I never installed them, as it would have helped me immensely and made the draining process much simpler, which is evidently against my nature. My pain is the forum's gain, I suppose - or I'd have nothing to write about to make you all feel better about yourselves, collectively.

A DIY solution MIGHT be capping the inflow of your 2" pvc, and making 1" drain holes throughout the last 2' section of pvc. Even if a fish got too close to the suction and got stuck, you still have many drainage holes unplugged to continue the draining process unimpeded.

These are all options I should have considered installing prior to refilling the ponds. Please, learn from my follies, or be doomed to repeat. Misery loves company!

[https://ecommerce.agridrain.com/pdf/catalog.pdf]
Posted By: snrub Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 08:01 PM
So where is the video? grin
Posted By: snrub Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 08:05 PM
Suction screens

For some ideas.

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby 2" suction screen
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 08:38 PM
Showoff
Posted By: esshup Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 01/29/15 10:42 PM
Why not a plastic well point/screen with a filter sock over it? Or just the well point/screen by itself?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41832-15649-PPWP...&facetInfo=
Posted By: BLUE72CAMARO Re: Keeping fish out of Siphon - 03/05/15 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
In my experience draining a ponds which have Agridrains installed, I have always had a big BG plug the 4" drain sideways at least once during the draining process and reduce or stop the flow altogether. Sometimes this meant disrobing in mid 40 degree water, like the Fall 2014, and diving to 5' depths so I could get my hands on the fish to remove as it was too deep to reach otherwise. The experience was excruciating, and the fish was beyond nasty as I removed it, piece by piece, from the pipe. Good times.

Agridrain sells fish guards and offers other options to fit several sizes of pvc and install on the inflow end of the PVC which would have likely prevented all of my issues. Of course I never installed them, as it would have helped me immensely and made the draining process much simpler, which is evidently against my nature. My pain is the forum's gain, I suppose - or I'd have nothing to write about to make you all feel better about yourselves, collectively.

A DIY solution MIGHT be capping the inflow of your 2" pvc, and making 1" drain holes throughout the last 2' section of pvc. Even if a fish got too close to the suction and got stuck, you still have many drainage holes unplugged to continue the draining process unimpeded.

These are all options I should have considered installing prior to refilling the ponds. Please, learn from my follies, or be doomed to repeat. Misery loves company!

[https://ecommerce.agridrain.com/pdf/catalog.pdf]

I feel your pain as I had to swim out to restart my siphon last fall in Early November...

After that I installed a second valve at the waters edge so I didnt have to cap the intake side off when the pond level was way down and the discharge leg didnt have enough pull to clear all the air out of the line.
© Pond Boss Forum