Pond Boss
We are about to finish work on my pond, and I now have about 1-2 acres around the pond, dam included, consisting mainly of North Carolina clay and relatively health soil from my pasture which has just been worked up a bit by the machines during renovation.

Slopes are pretty steep toward the pond, so I want to spread some grass seed as soon as possible to reduce erosion.

I am reading that Sudex is drought tolerant and has a good root system for holding soil.

As we move into the summer months, are there thoughts on Sudex as the grass to use on a temporary basis until fescue can be established later this fall? I believe Sudex is an annual.

Here is a link to a description from the NC Cooperative Extension Service. http://www.extension.org/pages/18541/sor...organic-farming

The attached photo provides an example of the area I will be seeding. Thanks in advance for guidance on seeding to prevent erosion.

Attached picture P1050346.jpg
I don't think I would want anything that grows 12 ft tall.
I noticed that too! I had planned to cut it after a foot or so, and in doing so, provide more erosion control with clippings, but I'm not sure if cutting at that height would kill it.

Do you/anyone have other suggestions for dry season planting?
No I don't. If I plant anything, like bermuda, it has to be in the Spring. I am in a rain challenged area.
Try vetiver grass at the edge of the pond. Or planted at 1 foot above water level.
© Pond Boss Forum